Your Problems Solved
Answers to the most common support request emails received by us.
The 10 Basics
10 things the new RR user should know; forum etiquette, joining, avoiding being wound up, what private messaging is all about etc.
The aim of RR (in so far that it has one) is to provide a useful, informative and amusing site for people with an interest in the RN and RM. Contrary to duty rumour we are not promoting the overthrow of HMG, nor do we exist to toe the party line. Users can expect to find both reasoned argument and complete bullshit within our pages. It exists for all.
- Although we have no issues with challenging the "official" viewpoint we do not wish to bring the wrath of the authorities down upon the site. If is worth noting that several senior officers unofficially endorse RR and ARRSE, its Army sister, as both a pressure vent for the British Military Community, as well as an extremely valuable sounding-board for identifying the issues and concerns of all ranks.
- We wish to avoid attracting those with extremist views or personal agendas to the site.
- The site is run by a small business (Olive Net) and does cost time and money to run. We therefore do aim to get something back through advertising and donations.
The site offers a variety of functionality including:
- Community Forums
- The Gallery
- The Live Chat
- An Instant Message facility. Beware that they aren't very instant!
- A list of members
The following describes acceptable posting in the site, which is split in to three levels of "seriousness", starting from the liberal end of the site. Please observe the regulations - they are to ensure that there is something for everyone. A varied and large user group is in the interests of all. Obviously regulations in Diamond Lil's also apply to the next category up and so on.
Diamond Lil's (also applies to the [/cpgn2/coppermine.html Gallery])
Diamond Lil's is designed to allow our users to conduct the pointless bickering, personal vendettas and utter drivel that is the mainstay of any web site. We strongly discourage anyone who is under 18, easily offended or with liberal tendencies from entering this forum. That being said, it is still moderated and the following is totally unacceptable:
- Breaches of OPSEC.
- Use of real names other than those in the public domain.
- Hardline extremist views and racism in particular.
These are the bulk of the site and consist of everything not included in the Serious Boards and Diamond Lil's. Banter, obtuse posts and ignorant comment are often the norm but we will moderate (ie police) against:
- Thread hijacking where an argument/slagging match is carried over from elsewhere.
- Totally pointless points.
- Extreme swearing and abuse of other users.
Current Affairs, Finance, Military History, Charities etc
Our serious boards are heavily moderated as we aim to keep them sensible and relevant for those who wish to engage in serious discussion. The following are not tolerated:
- Taking thread off topic
- Moderate swearing / abuse of other users.
- Non-contributory posting ie pointless ranting.
The site moderators exist to ensure that the site is managed in accordance with the policy detailed above. They are to decide how the policy is implemented in their own forum and may wish to post details of their moderation policy. Please repect the moderators' decisions, but if you have any complaints about moderation policies, write to [email protected], manned by Good & Bad CO.
RR / Olivenet does not endorse any of the products advertised on the site. Additionally sponsored advertisers are aware that they may receive negative comment in the forums. Our policy is not to give advertisers any editorial control or protection however users are requested to bear in mind that they pay for the site and we would prefer to retain their goodwill. Any strong negative comments about an advertiser should be directed to [email protected] Sponsors can be recognised by the sponsor rank and 'medals' next to their user on the forums.
RumRation came into being in early Jan 2006 after calls on the Army Rumour Service for a seprarate RN / RM site. The site uses the same software and structure and the admin is done by the same two 'COs', The sites are very different in their tone and user group however, and I (Good CO) often wonder if the Army and the RN come from the same planet at all.
The latest version of RumRation operates using DragonflyCMS version 9.6.1 We also use the following Open Source projects for other parts of the site:
Media Wiki- you're using it now!