'Zoom in when you see the tears', by Fred Hamilton.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by old_fat_and_hairy, Sep 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy Midshipman Book Reviewer

Zoom in when you see the tears. By Fred Hamilton.
    This book is subtitled '30 adventurous years at the BBC'

Fred Hamilton was a cameraman for the BBC and this book details - and I do mean details - his time there from his first interests in cameras to the end of his time there.

It's a fascinating if at times frustrating book. The amount of detail is painstaking and to be honest, a little boring. However it's a book worth reading

since it will tell you all you could ever want to know about the work of a cameraman and his associates. Actually, it will probably exceed that
    requirement by a lot.

Fred has worked on so many of the great shows of the past, from Z Cars ( a police drama for our younger readers) to Horizon, Doomwatch and many many more.

It is an interesting book, once one peels away the amount of names of cameramen, grips, associate grips and so on and gets past the technical detail of the cameras and lenses.

Perhaps it was just me, I'm not very technically minded,and I imagine many people will be fascinated with the tech specs in this book, but I could have done with a bit more gossip, a few more details about the cast and actors.

Having carped a bit now, I will say that it does give an insight into that great institution, the BBC. Into how it works and functions, from a hands-on approach, and that it is a book well worth having.

I would give 2 mushroom heads.

'Zoom in when you see the tears'. By Fred Hamilton.

Published by Fantom Publishing.

fantom films

I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon.