ZIPPO 1, 090, based on Shipwreck

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SEP86, May 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Zippo 1, 090

BBC News - Syria crisis: US rues Russian missiles sent to Damascus

There seems to be some contradiction in the various news sources, but SSN19 to Syria is just what we need.

Other reports have pictures of a different missile, so may be something else altogether. Any other spotters out there?

Just done a bit more googling, apparently the Yakhont is SSN26

Drumbeats of War - Russian Yakhont Missiles to Syria | Snafu::Blog - Disaster Emergency Supplies

https://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/row/ss-n-26.htm

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. The missile aptly nicknamed 'ya-****'.

3. Just added an edit.

With 300km range at Mach 2.5 ya-**** is probably spot on.

4. Just doing some PWO's mental arithmetic:

Mach 1 is 760 mph, Mach 2.5 is 1900mph, is 32 miles a minute, is a mile in 2 seconds.

Ouch. Not sure I'd want one of those fired at me.

5. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Just as well we have an organic deep strike capability in order to prosecute time sensitive targets without the slow cranking wheels of an Air Tasking Order (ATO) or competing interests of the Air Component Commander (ACC).

Best big out the CB's and get acquainted with Soft Kill then.

Mind you great chance to really see what the T45 can do.

6. PWO geekery, rest of the site look away now....

TSTs are designed into the ATO, and can be utilised at the Commander's Targeting Board. You just need to be invited to the right meetings....

/PWO geekery, rest of the site can look back now.

7. Dont panic our government has made the necessary provisions to ensure our fleet is protected by the RAF, just sit back and relax and hope that room service was up to scratch and on time!!!

8. Not sure what the might S** H****** would've done about a land based missile which is protected by a half-decent AD network? Perhaps Sharkey could've waved his fist at it or something?

9. Oh, and Sep86, you need to revise your AAW Voice Procedures. Zippo call is missing one piece of information....

• Like Like x 1
  10. As long as we don't have any sea assets in theatre then what's the problem? Or are we getting sucked in too far into the EU's Euromed project?

11. Or, you know, the Crown Bases in Cyprus.

12. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

We are all in danger of overdosing on PWO geekyness. We should leave Zippo calls in the classified world they inhabit and concentrate on the really important stuff.

Who else laughs at the EW brief when they talk about the You-**** missile? - No. Just me?

13. I laugh too. And then I stop when the CO glares at me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

PWO geek mode on

A-T-G. TST are fine if you have something to hit them with. If your Strike delivery units are not under your command there becomes the delay as you communicate up and down.

If you have organic strike you can order it in to strike as you require, say NGS or Lightnings.

15. Bead window. Just saying.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Guns - as I think we've found out recently, the pleasant myth that we (the RN) 'own' any strike asset is exactly that, a myth. It all belongs to the Joint Commander now, so best we work on producing decent Joint 3*s who can take on that role.

And to return to a well worn topic, that'll mean junior Warfare Officers doing something other than being window lickers (or letting 'other branches' become Operational leaders).

17. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

PMSL, It's been some time for him......:winkrazz:

18. If I had a pound for every time I have shouted 'BASED ON ..' at an EWD / EWM / APS ... I'd be a rich man. But good to see you noticed :)

(I actually had SHIPWRECK in the original title, as the picture on the BBC website looked like it, and then edited it out when I did some more (open source) research and realised it was 26 not 19)

19. What's worse, I'm a TAS Ape!