Zimbabwe

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Grape_Shot, May 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I another sign of just how inept & useless the United Nations has become, Zimbabwe has been selected to head the UN's Commission on Sustainable Development. A country with an inflation rate of 2000 percent overseeing the Commission on Sustainable Development! The same country that uses violence & corruption against anyone who questions the wisdom of Robert Mugabe & his thugs. This is also the same country that has in the past 20 years gone from being the breadbasket of Africa to basket case. Dictator-in Chief Mugabe seized the white-owned farms & overnight destroyed the country's economy then blamed the EU for all his problems. What a joke.

With this in mind, I submit for your edification & enlightenment the top 10 UN Slogans for the 21st Century.

10. If an impotent, bloated bureaucracy can't solve it, then it's best left festering.

9. You can't spell "unethical" without U.N.

8. Genocidal dictators, beware our non-binding resolutions!

7. Bringing Peace to our World (Actual results may vary)

6. Tomorrow's corruption today.

5. Raising pointless squabbling to an art form.

4. We take bribes so you don't have to.

3. Try our world-famous cheesy fries.

2. If troubles abound, we'll be nearby doing nothing.

1. If this is an emergency, please hang up and dial NATO.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I can understand your frustration, but as a member of the UN, Zimbabwe has as much right to make a contribution as any other nation. And I don't think the US is without it's faults or critics... :?

3. the US PRODUCES, i think what grape was talking about is that Zimbabwe does not, yet its supposed to tell the rest of the world how to produce.

4. sgtpepperband

I agree, but some may argue that not everything that the US produces is necessarily all good... and remember; America was once also a developing country too. With the necessary advice and guidance from other UN members, perhaps Zimbabwe can learn to become a valued and important contributor to the World?

5. with necessary advice and guidance, sure, but Zimbabwe's ambassador would be leading the way. talking about the blind leading the sighted!

6. I find it hard to agree with you SgtP. Zimbabwe used to be called Rhodesia and was one of the best producers of food in sub Saharan Africa.
    After independence the current president mismanaged his country to such an extent that it now cannot even feed it's own residents without aid from the West.
    I would not put Mugabe or any of his government in charge of a toilet.

7. Kinell , not under Magabe they wont , the UN must be off their bloody heads , worlds gone mad , the UN is Spineless . A Joke realy . :evil:

8. Mugabe has been in power since 1980 Sgt P??? Learn?? What to beat people senseless and take what is rightfully theirs?? To be so arrogant to do that in front of the World media?? Valued and important contributor- yep to any Nazi regime.

9. sgtpepperband

But you're criticising a whole country based on the reputation of one man! And since you use the 'Nazi' analogy, did that make everyone in '30s Germany a supporter of Hitler? No.

And to return to the original point, Zimbabwe are overseeing UN's Commission on Sustainable Development - other members of the Commission can veto before any decision is made.

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

British settlers turned Southern Rhodesia, which was virgin bush when they arrived, into the bread basket of Africa. The catastrophe caused by smug, silly, ignorant lefties insisting on giving the country to Mugabe has caused a food crisis not just in 'Zimbabwe' but in all those nations that depended on that supply. This leaves out of account all the Africans whose livelihood as farmworkers has been destroyed. The same asinine liberal lefties now want us to pick up the bill, the only result being to spend billions of our money on Mercs and perks for African dictators and their immediate supporters. The genrality of poor old Afs will still be left without two beans to rub together.

All those who approved of Beira patrol, prove!

11. sgtpepperband

I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it, but my point was just that I think we (the West) should get our own shit on one sock before we start criticising other counties. Last time we did that a lot of people started getting killed in unnecessary conflicts... 8O

12. Corruption, suppression of political oppositions, mismanaged land reforms, human rights abuse...etc. If the shoe fits SgtP. His administrations policies (seemingly made up of more than 1 man?) have contributed to the economic decline of Zimbabwe and MASSIVE starvation.
    Sorry, but have to laugh in the face of their 'special' role in the UN at the moment. Actually have to laugh at the fact that this twat has been in power for so long without the UN doing bugger all about it!! Oops two busy invading countries with petrol I suppose...?

13. sgtpepperband

Sounds like pretty much most counties in the world today! :evil:

14. Perhaps, but not on the same scale.

15. sgtpepperband

So low-level corruption, suppression of political oppositions, mismanaged land reforms and human rights abuse is acceptable, but not on a national level?!

16. None of this is acceptable. however we do have laws which are suppossed to control it. As uncle Tony may well find out.

17. sgtpepperband

You said it! I won't hold my breath for the court case... :roll:

18. I suppose there is one good thing about Mugabe. He isn't paying out loads of money in benefits to those too lazy to work.

19. And just when I thought I could read through a thread without you pushing your own agenda Slim? 10 out of 10 for predictability.

Back to thread:

If Australia can take a stand against Mugabe using their cricket team, just think what the UN could do...??? If only they could be bothered.

20. Sorry Aussie
    Forgot you had no problems with the amount of tax wasted on those refusing to work by social security system.

As you say back subject.
    Mugabe is not bothered by either criticism or sanctions. He certainly doesn't give a toss about Australia's cricket team. What would hurt him is for ALL financial aid to be stopped. However this would hurt the population even more. Mugabe has more money than he will ever need.
    Pity Zimbabwe does not have loads of oil, Bush & Blair would have been and liberated the Zimbabweans years ago.