YouTube: RN Engineering Recruitment Video

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by soleil, Feb 4, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does the Samson radar really go ping like a sonar? Priceless!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  2. If you were a Civvy that would be believable.
    However, I'm interested by the statement " if you can fix a bike, you can fix a car". Last time I checked Arnold Clark where overwhelmed with 12 year old mechanics because they were proficient at spraying the chain of there BMX with WD40.

3. Good job spraying a BMX chain with WD40 doesn't class as being able to fix a bike then
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As a Clanky, I'd agree with the bike/car observation, it's just a basic process. Few of us nowadays start ripping car engines to bits & machining, polishing, adjusting & refurbishing the gubbins, we just unbolt one lump & swap it for another.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. And copious amounts of HBM Ninja, jobs not done unless maskers is used and there's some bits left over for the odds 'n' sods drawer.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ah yes. Sign of a good engineer: A running machine and a bucket half full of "left over" nuts, bolts, washers and thingymajigs. It proves the mechanic was better at his job than the design engineer.

OK, sometimes the kit may leak a bit, maybe explode, etc., but it still kind of works with less bits.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The notion that engineers 'fix things'.

A good engineer will aim to prevent 'things' from failing in the first place through understanding the detail of and the science behind the kit. Okay, the master race, failing to understand its limits or heed the advice of the engineer, may break it anyway.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. I spent most of my time fixing things because the glorified taxi driver/ bomb courier in the front is also a charter engineer, apparently?

I say fixing it, mostly cleaning the plugs to prevent writing no fault found!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  9. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

10. Shite salute, a bent hand and what happened to the up 2 3 down.

• Like Like x 1