YouTube: British Pathé - Duke Of Edinburgh Visits Fleet Air Arm - Yeovilton

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by soleil, Apr 21, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
  2. I was a member of the Royal Guard for Prince Philip at Yeovilton in 1964 ! A bunch of us were sent down from HMS Ariel ( as Lee-on-Solent was then named ) to join MASSES of other ratings from all the other Air Stations, including Singapore and Malta , and all the Carriers. We were billeted in Speckington Camp ,a decrepit former WW2 Air Diection School accomodation base. We soon got it "shipshape " however,as it had to be our "home" for several weeks.On our first morning,we fell in on the perimeter track near 09, wearing No3 dress with khaki webbing and .303 Lee-Enfields (but no bayonets ) and were then marched all the way to breakfast in the main dining hall via the Control Tower and "X" Hard standing,then down past the GDA, Vixen MU , SE Section etc ; it was a LONG WAY !! We were very depressed at the thought of 6 or 7 weeks of this , BUT ; it was a "wind up" !! --after that ,there was an almost continuous bus-service via the old A303 !! We had drill after drill all day and every day ( I am still good at "Fix Bayonets " !!) at VL but also at nearby Houndstone WRAC training camp ( Huge parade ground and huge lady truck-drivers --wow ! ) until the "Big Day" .Meanwhile, all ratings with beards were told to "shave off " or leave the Guard,so we ended up with a huge support (webbing-blanco-ing ) Support Party of hirsute matelots ; I was too young ( 16 and a half ) of course .Finally , the BIG DAY ; I watched HRH nearly fall from the back of his pusser's landrover ; Apparently ,he was wearing the WRONG UNIFORM (according to next day's press) ,but overall it was a FANTASTIC day, and the Blue Angels from the US were AMAZING . It was one of those experiences you never forget.

Roger Mills ( Heron Flight , 766 NAS , and Tower Radar , Yeovilton 1964-66)