Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Your Deepst dive ????

Forplanes jammed to dive. Went down to almost 3ft 7 inches once.
However, we successfully achieved an Emergency Surface.
F***ing scary I can tell you!

DiveDiveDive.jpg

During hands to bathe once I jumped off the Phalanx Deck of a 42.

It wasn't really a dive, more a bomb, as I didn't really have the guts to go in head first from that height. Just as well really, it hurt a bit when I hit the water. Some of the lads were jumping off the bridge wing, but I didn't want to do that as it looked dangerous. One of them only just cleared the deck as he jumped, a few more inches and it could have been very nasty.

2_deck_dash said:
During hands to bathe once I jumped off the Phalanx Deck of a 42.

It wasn't really a dive, more a bomb, as I didn't really have the guts to go in head first from that height. Just as well really, it hurt a bit when I hit the water. Some of the lads were jumping off the bridge wing, but I didn't want to do that as it looked dangerous. One of them only just cleared the deck as he jumped, a few more inches and it could have been very nasty.

On hols 3 years ago in Side, Turkey. On aboat and we stop for a swim so I jump from the rail 12` ish into the water 4` :? good job I didnt dive! didnt half hurt my lower back and coccyx.

One of the lads on a T boat in the 80`s managed to dive in a pool in Gib, now a quadroplegic, :( poor ba5tard

There exists a photo of one of our back afties (Baldrick) diving into the hotel swimming pool in Hawaii. All the troops in the foreground are sitting round a table drinking, oblivious of the perfect swan dive going on behind.

Did I mention that Baldrick had dived out of his hotel bedroom window? :lol:

No Baldricks were killed or injured during the taking of that photograph! Christ only knows how!

Deeps said:
Black cat , now there is an expression i havnt heard in
a few years .As for my deep dive on Repulse ,well us
Bomber queens are a bit strapped for any interesting dits
to be honest . However we did chase an oil rig around the north atlantic for a week thinking it was a Soviet Victor 3

My bold!

Think I can BLACK CAT that one........out in the Gulf on one of Her Majesty's finest T-boats, the XO decided to have an exercise for the on watch front cnuts, of tracking a whale.........the damned thing was dead, floating on the surface, but somehow it still out-maneuvred us and escaped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wav:

PhillipJFry said:
Deeps said:
Black cat , now there is an expression i havnt heard in
a few years .As for my deep dive on Repulse ,well us
Bomber queens are a bit strapped for any interesting dits
to be honest . However we did chase an oil rig around the north atlantic for a week thinking it was a Soviet Victor 3

My bold!

Think I can BLACK CAT that one........out in the Gulf on one of Her Majesty's finest T-boats, the XO decided to have an exercise for the on watch front cnuts, of tracking a whale.........the damned thing was dead, floating on the surface, but somehow it still out-maneuvred us and escaped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wav:

I think I can BLACK CAT that one....... S-Boat late70`s/early 80`s mid Atlantic fast and deep, ranging something, hit and object hard, I was off watch and turned in, woke up with a bumped head at the top end of my rack. 2 days latter at PD. the OOW on the scope sees a red hull of a capsized yacht. We surface and see the hull bending in the middle, the carcass of one very dead whale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wav: :wav:

And the next one please!!!!!!!

BoxKickerSubs said:
padbeat said:
Had an interesting one a few years ago - on Superb doing torpedo avoidance trials at AUTEC & HMS Norfolk was lobbing waepons at us.

One of the tactics was to go 25deg bow-up, 1/2 ahead 80 revs while putting a 2 sec blow out of 4's, then turn away from the surface & go deep - the thinking being that the big (& expanding) bubble would be a larger, noisier target than us.

Which would have beed great, if the planesman had turned away from the surface in time ...

25 deg bow up, planesman goes to 25 deg planes to dive, but too late. Bow broaches at the top of the curve, fin, rudder ... prop out of the water.

So now we're 25 deg bow down, heavy, main engines have both gone on overspeed, and we're not hanging about either. Very much an 'Oh Shit moment'.

385m (1265'), and only because the MEAOW had his shit together. I was on the RP at the time & one hand on the battleshort switch & one eye on the engineer - if I'd decided to make it, he wasn't going to stop me!

FYI the planesman went to full dive when the CO told him to, ie the planesman had no choice in the matter. I know this because I was 'said' planesman and I've yet to be relieved on the planes by a 'Binbag'
(Hands across the tunnel eh!)

Amazing what bawbags find themselves onto these hallowed pages, did 15 to 1 fail to call? :wink:

Latest Threads