Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Your Deepst dive ????

Otus keel slapped the bottom off IOW ( kehole ) at end of maintainence period early '80s. TI put a laughing bag on the main broadcast from the forends and blamed 103 club. Witch hunt followed by emergency docking fountain lake AFD.

Perhaps not the deepest but my most interesting was nipping along the bottom of Inchmarnock Water chasing clams whilst looking for heavy MK24 trials fish. I was very interesting actually being able to see where we were going. That of course was not in one of Her Majesty's black tubes but in a manned submersible Pisces III.

Peter

We once spent a month in the floating dock in Faslane and on our first journey out thru the Straits we bottomed out and had to go back into the floating dock to get the prop repaired.

Someone copped it bigtime for that!!

spearfish said:
What was the deepest you ever saw one of Ivan's?

The small Ivan Alpha Class SSN built in the 70's were reported to regulary operate at 450 metres and some claimed a max deep diving depth of 1000 metres. Reported top speed 40 knots.

Nutty

Nicks said:
We once spent a month in the floating dock in Faslane and on our first journey out thru the Straits we bottomed out and had to go back into the floating dock to get the prop repaired.

Was that when you were going out on patrol ....I remember going back into the dock with a serious gravel rash and a dented rudder...if this is the same incident, I was on that patrol :mrgreen:

bluenose said:
Nicks said:

Was that when you were going out on patrol ....I remember going back into the dock with a serious gravel rash and a dented rudder...if this is the same incident, I was on that patrol :mrgreen:

Might well have been,but memory these days isnt as good as it should be!!

I was an MCC Watchkeeper at the time.

I was in the radio shack....

Nicks said:
bluenose said:
Nicks said:

Might well have been,but memory these days isnt as good as it should be!!

I was an MCC Watchkeeper at the time.

I heard about one of the C boats hitting 2000+ feet apparently you couldnt walk down the passageways cos they had buckled so much. There was a few loose s valves after that one im sure, Im glad to be a member of the S13 club if anyone knows what that consisted of?

A mere 200 foot on HMS/M Repulse in 1974 - however, this from a confirmed skimmer who joined the RNR in 84 and who has never been in the submarine service - my father served 1st and 2nd commission and I was able to go on a family's day.

I was told that Swiftsure got the metres and feet mixed up which is why she exceeded her depth- anybody have any idea what she got down to?Air Canada got Lbs and Kgs mixed up many years ago and ran an aircraft out of fuel!

Latest Threads