Your Deepst dive ????

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Deeps, Feb 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok tell us all about your deepest dive or dodgy incident whilst on a submarine . We know about sidon55 any others out there ?

2. Well Deeps the worst I had could only be described as an incident but at the time it scared the shite out of me. It happened when I was on the Token and we was doing a work up around the Clyde area, anyway we were at periscope depth when the aft planes stuck in a slight dive position so the order came over the tannoy from the control room, “aft planes in emergency.†The first two onto the gear was me and the outside stoker so we engaged the handle and started wankin it round. Trouble was we was doing it the wrong way putting the planes into a deeper dive, I soon realized this and told him we was doing it the wrong way but he wouldn’t have it, trouble was, as he was the outside stoker he had the last say.

[​IMG]

Anyway by this time the boat was at an angle of about 40` and going down fast. so the Skipper ordered full astern on both engines.
    How that greenie ever managed to pull all them switches and put them motors in astern then put the switches back in when we was at such an angle I`ll never know, perhaps it was the adrenaline . but he did it , and saved us all from Davy Jones locker.
    Slowly the boat reversed back out of the dive till it was on an even keel at 250 ft, then the Skipper blew the main ballast.
    I never told what happened that day as the o/side stoker would have no doubt lost his position of responsibility, but I have always wondered whether I should have named and shamed if he was not up to the job. But I never did.
    250ft at today’s rates is of course nothing but the Token was old (1944) and the deepest diving depth was 180ft. scary!!

3. No disrespect Uncle ,did a quick search ,seems that T boats were built for 91 metres, 280 ft +
    So you were 30 ft from not posting again.
    Cheers

4. That’s OK Tingara good point.

What you haven’t allowed for though is the fact that everytime a submarine has a refit they knock 10ft off the deepest diving depth.

That`s why after 22 years it was down from 280 to 180 ft.

……..

5. 1100ft in a Polaris boat 16 years ago , you bunch of Diesel pufftas !!!!!!

6. So this thread is not about Muff Diving after all. :cry:

7. There's something wrong with that statement!

8. I was on Revenge and I cant remeber how deep we went,but Im sure we went 1000 ft everytime we went on work up

9. Black Catting, again Deeps ? And we earned our Hard Layers. :wink: :wink: :wink:

10. My mate, a civvy (me too now - gloom) had a Rolex Sea Dweller and used to brag that it was water resistant down to 4000ft. It was as well 'cos Rolex don't muck around over stuff like that. Anyway I showed him my Rolex Submariner 1513 and stated that it had gone down to 1500ft and didn't even get wet, black cat that B*stard then. An inadvertant depth excursion I think they call it.
    His Sea Dweller even came with a helium escape valve on the side and a day/date. Ok, I can understand why the helium escape valve needed to be there but who needs to know the day and date at 4000ft, as if there aren't more important things to occupy one's time!?

11. Black cat , now there is an expression i havnt heard in
    a few years .As for my deep dive on Repulse ,well us
    Bomber queens are a bit strapped for any interesting dits
    to be honest . However we did chase an oil rig around the north atlantic for a week thinking it was a Soviet Victor 3 .

12. Genius. Unadulterated genius.

13. Didn't an s-boat go very deep when they got the feet/metres mixed up?

14. One of the T's got below her diving limits in the 50's when the foreplanes jammed hard to dive. Don't remembeer the name - either the Tele or Thorough or the depth reached but the angle at one time was about 43 degrees according to fwd and aft depth guages

15. 1967 on Truncheon we bounced off the bottom at 300 feet in the Minches. Maybe as she was cut in half in the 50's and had 20 feet added that had increased her diving depth cos 300 foot was our normal deep diving depth.

We also drove her straight into the near vertical side of a Norwegien Fiord whilst playing with the SBS which made a small dent in the top point of the bow. On that day I was on the wheel, well more a two foot long tapper bar, so I suppose it should read 'me' not 'we'. But then I was only pointing her where I had been told.

Of course both these incidents took place at the normal underwater speed of stretched D/E 'T's about 1 or 2 knots so little damage was ever caused.

Nutty

16. Otus keel slapped the bottom off IOW ( kehole ) at end of maintainence period early '80s. TI put a laughing bag on the main broadcast from the forends and blamed 103 club. Witch hunt followed by emergency docking fountain lake AFD.

17. Perhaps not the deepest but my most interesting was nipping along the bottom of Inchmarnock Water chasing clams whilst looking for heavy MK24 trials fish. I was very interesting actually being able to see where we were going. That of course was not in one of Her Majesty's black tubes but in a manned submersible Pisces III.

Peter

18. I think it was Swiftsure that had a problem with metrication.She was certainly withdrawn early

19. What was the deepest you ever saw one of Ivan's?

20. We once spent a month in the floating dock in Faslane and on our first journey out thru the Straits we bottomed out and had to go back into the floating dock to get the prop repaired.

Someone copped it bigtime for that!!