You tak the high road

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Sharkey, May 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A bit on the news about the Scots getting a referendum in 2014 on going their own way, last I heard he SNP were saying they would close Falane if they got the vote, would the Government relocate given the massive cost, and how far from Dumbarton would it have to be before the Debs decided it wasnt worth the journey for a seeing to.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. Silo based missile would certainly be cheaper, but much easier to find, and therefore removed from the equation before they could be used

3. Also takes up a large amount of room. I don't have a source for this but I remember reading somewhere that to have land based silo's for all our Trident missiles would take up an area the size of Wales!

4. Ok stick them there, not as if anyone would notice.( smiley)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seeing as Faslane is one of the biggest employers in the area,if not the biggest,added to which all the local businesses that benefit from the trade from RN personnel it is difficult some compromise won't be reached should the Scots decide to part company which is by no means a certainty.

6. Closing Faslane would be a massive hit to Scotlands economy, how about, OK you can stay but the rent is..............., at one time lots of places said, we dont want a shed load of WMD on our doorstep thanks, so maybe the Government may have to dance to Scotlands tune whatever, if, it splits.

7. I wonder will they pay local overseas allowance if you are running from Faslane...

8. We used to get Missionary pay

9. I heard somewhere, not sure where, that if the Jocks get independence, they might move the bombers down to Milford Haven (West Wales)

10. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If Scotland gets Independence and keeps the nuclear stuff (very technical term there) does that mean Scotland will be invaded by the Septics as we have WMDs?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ahh, Alex Salmond has a way around this loss of income by joining the Euro. The irony is that by gaining (hopefully hypothetically) independence Alex Salmond will then sign up to the Euro - to be thus controlled by Brussels.....

12. Here's a thought when/if the Scottish vote themsleves out of the Union, we could always relocate all of the Submarine fleet including the V boats to Guzz and all of the surface Fleet to Pompey. MCMv's would be Pompey based and could day run/Fish Squardron Ops out of RNR Tyne for the North Sea and RNR Mersey for the Irish Sea.

13. Didnt Spain shout the words veto and over our dead body towards an independent Scotland joining the EU?

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Will there be a Euro for Scotland to join? If not what currency will they use, Stirling, the Dollar?

15. I have not heard anyone mention anything about the future of BAE on the Clyde if Scotland gains independence. After current orders have been completed surly the UK government would want the work to go to UK based dockyards, could be good news for Barrow as I personally cant see Trident surviving Scottish independence.

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Scrap Trident, use money to increase SSN fleet and move the lot to Guz where most of the interstructure is already in being.

17. Potatoes, pigs and beads in the short term, then they'll switch to klebies.

18. I,d go with that, in my thankfully short time on a bomber I wondered if they were worth the expense, we were told it wasnt allways the case we would go to sea with a full load and we would probaly only get aboiut half of what we carried away before "they" lobbed one back at us, and thier anti missile missiles would take out a number of those.

19. I dont think either are suitable as they may be confused with the towns of the same..............oh I see