You know when you've got friends

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Daktari, Dec 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK Shippers ... try this out

We've all seen the dit about "what is a true friend" like when you're sat in goal a friend will come and bail you out .. but a true friend will be sat there with you!

We've all got aquaintances and old shipmates. But seriously .. what makes a true friend?

:thumright:

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No doubt most us have received this recently:

CIVVY FRIENDS: Never ask for food.

MILITARY FRIENDS: Are the reason you have no food.

CIVVY FRIENDS: Bail you out of jail and tell you what you did was wrong.

MILITARY FRIENDS: Would be sitting next to you saying "Damn we fucked up.but that shit was fun!"

CIVVY FRIENDS: Borrow your stuff for a few days then give it back.

MILITARY FRIENDS: Keep your shit so long they forget its yours.

CIVVY FRIENDS: Know a few things about you.

MILITARY FRIENDS: Could write a book about you with direct quotes from you.

CIVVY FRIENDS: Are for a while.

MILITARY FRIENDS: Are for life.

CIVVY FRIENDS: Will take your drink away when they think you've had enough.

MILITARY FRIENDS: Will look at you stumbling all over the place and say "Bitch drink the rest of that you know we don't waste."

CIVVY FRIENDS: Will talk shit to the person who talks shit about you.

MILITARY FRIENDS: Will knock them the **** out.

CIVVY FRIENDS: Wont send this back.

MILITARY FRIENDS: Will send this to you and to 10 friends.

3. Yeah .. SGTP .. Think we've all seen that but what about real true friends?

When is it you find out what or who your real friends are??

4. True friends see you are in the s*** and jump in there to be right alongside you

5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If you need to ask what a true friend will do for you, or what you would do for them I'd hazard a guess you haven't got any.

6. Ditto to that .

7. I thought true friends helped you bury the body :?

8. 3rd toooooooooooo that

9. Always nice to have the only witness as an accessory

10. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

I think it's a bit more profound than the crappy, sentimental generalisations in that circular email (which sounds a bit 'Yank' to me)

To me, you will have hundreds of naval acquaintences. Many will be considered 'oppos'. Only ten or so will be considered 'friends'. Out of all that, there is possibly just one, maybe two, with whom you'd share a dying secret. They are 'real friends'.

Levers

11. A true freind does what a mad woman did for me 16 years ago.

Having not seen each other for at least four years she responded to a panic phone call saying "I get married at the end of this month and have no witness/bridesmaid" by driving from Norfolk to Scotland, bringing a wedding cake.

An absolute star who I shared an office with when we were both in the WRNS.

12. I'm still grateful for your help there. ;)

13. No worries shippers.
    Can I have my shovel back?

14. I got some true friends and friends and some people i know and friendly too. Some I found you think are friends til they **** you over or stab ya in the back.

My true friends are great. They are there when ya need someone to talk. Get you drunk when you have no money. Give you the truth even if it hurts when needed. They are hard to come by. But they are always a true friend even if you don't hear from them for a while when you do it's like they've not been away.

My sea dad once told me two sayings "Boyfriends, girlfriends come and go but real friends last for ever!" and "There's big ships and small ships but there's not ships like friendships!"

No truer words spoken I've found.

You'll know when you have a true mate as they would be the one sitting next to you in Jail. They would be the one who sacrifices stuff to help you out.

15. A pongo true friend goes out on the town, gets two blow-jobs, returns to give you one of them :)

16. A true friend is someone who lets you go first on a twos up so you dont have sloppy seconds.