You can trust us, we won't abuse the powers...

#1
From the Torygraph

Councils have used laws designed to combat terrorism to access more than 900 people's private phone and email records in the latest example of Britain's growing surveillance state.

Interesting that it's one of the main proponents of statism taking the position they have. That said, I think the report is a bit confused, talking about RIPA powers as opposed to working within the contraints.
 
#2
It's not just government bodies acting as electronic Big Brothers. Commercial organisations are now tracking people via their mobile phones. Hot spots include Gunwharf Quays, the former site of HMS Vernon (Times online link).

Shops track customers via mobile phone - Signals given off by phones allow shopping centres to monitor how long people stay and which stores they visit

Customers in shopping centres are having their every move tracked by a new type of surveillance that listens in on the whisperings of their mobile phones.

The technology can tell when people enter a shopping centre, what stores they visit, how long they remain there, and what route they take as they walked around.

The device cannot access personal details about a person’s identity or contacts, but privacy campaigners expressed concern about potential intrusion should the data fall into the wrong hands.

The surveillance mechanism works by monitoring the signals produced by mobile handsets and then locating the phone by triangulation – measuring the phone’s distance from three receivers.

It has already been installed in two shopping centres, including Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth, and three more centres will begin using it next month, Times Online has learnt...
 
#3
Karma said:
From the Torygraph

Councils have used laws designed to combat terrorism to access more than 900 people's private phone and email records in the latest example of Britain's growing surveillance state.

Interesting that it's one of the main proponents of statism taking the position they have. That said, I think the report is a bit confused, talking about RIPA powers as opposed to working within the contraints.
You need to trust the government. They know what is best for you and I am sure that these measures will be temporary. :thumright:

Just like the temporary Income Tax; introduced by William Pitt to finance his war on terra [for bin Laden read Napoleon]. The tax was wildly unpopular [no sh*t Sherlock] and was repealed in 1816 when Parliament ordered that all tax records and rolls should also be destroyed.

Unfortunately HMG had been given a taste for free money and Income Tax was re-introduced as a temporary measure in 1842 "For a time the income of the country shall be called upon to contribute to the growing evil of the Government's deficit".

Golden Broone should stand up in Parliament, strike his finest Churchillian pose, put his telescope to his glass eye and declare - 'Never in the field of human taxation have so many been called upon to give so much to so few for so little' :bball:

RM
 
#4
Bergen said:
Karma said:
From the Torygraph

Councils have used laws designed to combat terrorism to access more than 900 people's private phone and email records in the latest example of Britain's growing surveillance state.

Interesting that it's one of the main proponents of statism taking the position they have. That said, I think the report is a bit confused, talking about RIPA powers as opposed to working within the contraints.
You need to trust the government. They know what is best for you and I am sure that these measures will be temporary. :thumright:

Just like the temporary Income Tax; introduced by William Pitt to finance his war on terra [for bin Laden read Napoleon]. The tax was wildly unpopular [no sh*t Sherlock] and was repealed in 1816 when Parliament ordered that all tax records and rolls should also be destroyed.

Unfortunately HMG had been given a taste for free money and Income Tax was re-introduced as a temporary measure in 1842 "For a time the income of the country shall be called upon to contribute to the growing evil of the Government's deficit".

Golden Broone should stand up in Parliament, strike his finest Churchillian pose, put his telescope to his glass eye and declare - 'Never in the field of human taxation have so many been called upon to give so much to so few for so little' :bball:

RM
Bergen for P.M :thumright:

Incidentally i take it the presidential canvasing you were doing over there had the desired outcome???
 
#5
ex_rubberdagger said:
Bergen said:
Karma said:
From the Torygraph

Councils have used laws designed to combat terrorism to access more than 900 people's private phone and email records in the latest example of Britain's growing surveillance state.

Interesting that it's one of the main proponents of statism taking the position they have. That said, I think the report is a bit confused, talking about RIPA powers as opposed to working within the contraints.
You need to trust the government. They know what is best for you and I am sure that these measures will be temporary. :thumright:

Just like the temporary Income Tax; introduced by William Pitt to finance his war on terra [for bin Laden read Napoleon]. The tax was wildly unpopular [no sh*t Sherlock] and was repealed in 1816 when Parliament ordered that all tax records and rolls should also be destroyed.

Unfortunately HMG had been given a taste for free money and Income Tax was re-introduced as a temporary measure in 1842 "For a time the income of the country shall be called upon to contribute to the growing evil of the Government's deficit".

Golden Broone should stand up in Parliament, strike his finest Churchillian pose, put his telescope to his glass eye and declare - 'Never in the field of human taxation have so many been called upon to give so much to so few for so little' :bball:

RM
Bergen for P.M :thumright:

Incidentally i take it the presidential canvasing you were doing over there had the desired outcome???
Hi XRD - I do not qualify to be in any English government for reasons of race...... I'm not a Scotchman :whew: . Yes things have gone swimmingly in the USA, Senator Obama will be POTUS [unless Hillary remembers where she left her 6.5mm Manlicher-Carcano]. The befuddled and geriatric John McBush doesn't realise what a world of hurt he is in :thumright:

RM
 
#6
Bergen said:
ex_rubberdagger said:
Bergen said:
Karma said:
From the Torygraph

Councils have used laws designed to combat terrorism to access more than 900 people's private phone and email records in the latest example of Britain's growing surveillance state.

Interesting that it's one of the main proponents of statism taking the position they have. That said, I think the report is a bit confused, talking about RIPA powers as opposed to working within the contraints.
You need to trust the government. They know what is best for you and I am sure that these measures will be temporary. :thumright:

Just like the temporary Income Tax; introduced by William Pitt to finance his war on terra [for bin Laden read Napoleon]. The tax was wildly unpopular [no sh*t Sherlock] and was repealed in 1816 when Parliament ordered that all tax records and rolls should also be destroyed.

Unfortunately HMG had been given a taste for free money and Income Tax was re-introduced as a temporary measure in 1842 "For a time the income of the country shall be called upon to contribute to the growing evil of the Government's deficit".

Golden Broone should stand up in Parliament, strike his finest Churchillian pose, put his telescope to his glass eye and declare - 'Never in the field of human taxation have so many been called upon to give so much to so few for so little' :bball:

RM
Bergen for P.M :thumright:

Incidentally i take it the presidential canvasing you were doing over there had the desired outcome???
Hi XRD - I do not qualify to be in any English government for reasons of race...... I'm not a Scotchman :whew: . Yes things have gone swimmingly in the USA, Senator Obama will be POTUS [unless Hillary remembers where she left her 6.5mm Manlicher-Carcano]. The befuddled and geriatric John McBush doesn't realise what a world of hurt he is in :thumright:

RM
I suspected that you were canvassing for that particular gentleman!! I just hope that he can deliver on his promises as the U.S could do with a boost if the BBC news was anything to go by last night.

As for McCain (Chip boy) it was interesting listening to his stance on Iraq/Iran whilst stood behind a very large lectern displaying AIPAC!! :thumright:
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#7
So an interesting article on the abuse of RIPA has been dissolved by the 'usual suspects' into a rant against the state of the US primaries?

Sorry, Karma...

:?
 
#8
sgtpepperband said:
So an interesting article on the abuse of RIPA has been dissolved by the 'usual suspects' into a rant against the state of the US primaries?

Sorry, Karma...

:?
Obviously; but you can console yourself that the constraints on deviating a thread cannot parallel the narrow confines of your mind :thumright:

RM
 
#10
sgtpepperband said:
Bergen: No one has ever accused me of having a narrow mind - which is probably my main fault... :oops:
SPB - But I bet plenty of people have accused you of deviating :bball:

Now get back on topic and discuss data-mining :thumright:

RM
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads