Yorkshire Post: "Hundreds Fail UK Military Drug Tests "

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Dec 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting to read that as a CO Mr Mercer used to 'work the system to keep his battalion's statistics down' or am I reading the quote wrong?
  2. I completely agree. It works and good riddance.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The man is clearly stupid, hence the move to politics.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. He probably thinks he was being remarkably clever, the Olympic moron. He must have been gash at Sandhurst anyway to end up CO of the Sherwood Foresters. Or on the toot.
  5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

No wonder Mercer went into politics.
  6. Mr Mercer, MP. No loss to the Armed Services. Obviously found his niche in politics.
  7. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

Good. It shows the system works. I'm not in yet, but I know for sure that I wouldn't want to serve with anyone who was on illegal drugs. Imagine having a LSD flashback or similar whilst doing something high-risk - they'd be putting everyone in danger, not just themselves, and that is unbelievably selfish and dangerous, pure and simple.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Just out of interest, how would this MP get them to come round on a Friday morning. I thought the drug team went wherever they wanted, whenever they wanted?
  9. I think whats more alarming is the number of people who use drugs seeing the armed forces as a viable career, when they no full damm well that the forces are as anti drug use as any employer can be. It's a generation problem. So prolific is the use of soft drugs that so called "normal" are now seeing no issue with them and the social stigma attached to them is growing thin.

Fancy "Only smoking and bit of puff" only to be deployed overseas hunting drug smugglers.
  10. LOL Monase is an anti depressant that went designer in the eighties and its moniker is aET? get it? AET!!??

If it offends I will remove.
  11. Frankly, this really pisses me off. Last year, a well-liked boy was kicked out of my school for selling weed there, and there was something of an uproar, because they, partly, didn't see why he'd been thrown out. Not because he was a stupid wnaker for doing it, and for doing drugs anyway, people weren't really shocked by that, and there was little, if no stigma attached to it. What people do and don't do in their own time is no interest or concern of mine, but he took drugs into the place that I went to everyday, for nowt but his own profit. They don't realise that they are giving money to organised, ruthless, criminals, and potentially funding all manner of terrorist groups, it's only another joint to them.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

We get drugs tested all the time, I've had about eight tests in the last two years.

Funny thing is it's the "soft" drugs like cannabis that linger in the system, the harder class A drugs are normally clear of your system within 24 hrs. Have you fella's got synthetic cannabis products like "kronic" etc in the UK yet? The powers that be had to ammend everyones contracts to include banning synthetic grass etc.

....(.Why anyone would want to smoke astro-turf is beyond me. :) )
  13. Glad I was never pinged snorting toothpaste...
  14. If you get light headed in the buffer's paint shack, the reggies will 'av ya!
  15. Never got passed CSB myself!!!!
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Upon reflection, reading the comments of Mr Mercer in the fuller context:

My guess, is despite admitting he knew how to manipulate the figures, I rather think it's a barbed comment regarding the comparativly low RAF positive CDT results.

When you think the Army is 3 times bigger than the RN but has 10 times as many positive CDTs, yet the RAF, bigger than the RN, have only 60% positive CDTs of the RN, then you have to question the frequency of testing, the numbers tested & when they are tested.

It's doubtful the the intellect of the average sailor, soldier or airman is so markedly different as to produce such vastly different CDT figures.

One would have hoped the Joint Chiefs would have ensured the figures produced were proportional, representative & therefore comparable.

As it is, to me, it seems those wishing to use recreational drugs are far more likely to get away with it in the RAF. The stats, twisted as they are do not indicate that drugs use is necessarily more prevalent in the Army, but more likely to be detected - thankfully more so now, than when Mr Mercer served.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011