YO training

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by gobell, Jun 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, i've applied, and have been accepted (POC and AIB done) for direct entry, commissioned service with the corps.

I'm generally pretty clued up, but does anyone know what the training is like - other than the obvious answer of hard and long (no connotations please lol)? Things like how much leave? any general words on finance (i'll be in the lower bracket as I am 18 at the moment - am finishing a-levels on Tuesday). And general advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm joining with the batch in September and would simply like to know a little more of what to expect - a good mate is a serving bootneck at the moment but he has little to say regarding YO training.

Cheers.

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Congratulations matey...ooops... boss, best of luck. 12 month of pure joy ahead, look at some of the corps websites, if you can only get info on Nods training rest assured yours is going to be quicker timings and less sleep.

You will be in seperate accom from the recruits (occifers mess) but you will see what they do and, they will see what you do so a mutual respect is built up....dont expect to get saluted for about 6 months though... :bball:

Good luck.

3. Here is some advice. **** off and join the army, navy or RAF but please not the Royal Marines. I don't give a shit if you are part of the internet generation, part of the deal is that you join RM shitting yourself, and that's just as a bog standard Royal Marine recruit. You potential RM officers should not be coming on here giving it .. "Hi .. can you tell me this and can you tell me that ...?". You either have the balls to join (like the thousands before you) or not. Some people on this site might give you more encouragment but they aint bootnecks, they're recruitment ossifers. No potential RM officer of any repute would come on here and ask for advice, and if they do I hope they are told to **** off ... To conclude: Stop being a pussy and either go for it or stop wasting your time. On the other hand you could shame us all and join yet another composite boarding party.

4. I can hear the replies coming! "What's wrong with giving advice ...etcetera ..?" The way this site, among others, tries to prime recruits undermines a valued feature of service training and of service personal i.e. demonstrating one can face the unknown and flourish as part of a team in the face of uncertainty, that one has the ability to cope with the unexpected, the ability to face new, unusual and stressful situations outside of commonplace experience, and so on and so forth. Stop telling recuits what to take, what to say, how to do X ...... and everything else. Little wonder any ****** is being tasked to do boarding parties. Boarding parties are not really any different to everday life.

Rant over.

5. When we went through training I do not remember having prior knowledge of what any of it was really going to be like. I knew about the Green Beret but polishing into the small hours, the accommodation at Deal, hours of drill, running until I was sick (and being told to keep running, and doing so), physical punishment (rifle in front and bunny hops, anyone?), pain, fear, doubt, putrid sores, hallucinating, collapsing (and getting up again), crawling the 600m range with GPMG, throwing up on the 30 miler, blah blah blah ....... And that is surely what training is largely about. Contra the Scouts one is not supposed to be prepared to the degree demanded by the so-called recruits one sees on here!

6. wet_blobby

And breathe...........He hates it when they wont do any Tom Jones numbers for him to sing along at Karaoke. :worship:

7. wet_blobby

Very good points raised though, I knew a little of what to expect through the bumff given but that was about it, I think there was somewhere at CTC that showed the full cylable....it wasn't a secret.....Nods just didn't look that far ahead. week to week.

8. Ping! Knicker elastic...

9. I know us old farts just turned up on the day and hoped for the best (and I know I was only a meek submariner) but this lad is aware the training will be hard and was only asking about pay, as if he will have the time to spend any, and leave, (leave the fore hatch shut) which is not that unreasonable.

I can't add much myself, met a couple of RMYOs whilst in the DTS, and they were tough made all us cadets look real wimps.

10. Harry, if the Internet had been available are you saying you wouldn't have used it?
    Sure I think some of the newbies expect it on a plate, this young man has had at least 2 encounters with Pusser and still finds it necessary to ask pretty basic questions, MMmmmm.
    Still perhaps todays young thrusters (Thanks Blobs) just ain't as thrusty :thumright:
    NZB

11. Complete bolloc ks, what about the other skills expected of a commander;

Planning (ahead for what he is about to receive...), OCS, Informing (himself of what to expect), Evaluating (the bollocks that some people will come out with) or JUBW, Integrity (to admit to not knowing something), Courage (to ask), Knowledge (that he does not have all of the answers but knows where to find them). As for entering the unknown, agreed but that lasted until your first session in the River Exe Club/NAAFI. Any Recruit worth his salt knows exactly what is coming, when, how hard it is and (for the professional rangers) which team it would be best to have on that particular serial.

NZ B has a good point about why he doesn't know.

Anyway, I always thought that the Lee Enfield was a good weapon and that it was a good idea to go ashore in Blues!!

IMD

12. All good points, all taken on board and I can see where you are all coming from. I expect nothing on a plate and thanks for the information.

One thing I did want to know - should have said so in the first place, apologies - is roughly how much is taken from your wages for food and accommodation?

13. From an ORs point of view... Too fecking much. IThangyew.
    NZB

14. haha, good answer, but how much does that equate to in pounds, sterling?

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd love to answer but don't want to incur the wrath of Harry...

Oh, OK just this once then- about £140 per month food & accommodation charges, but don't tell anyone I told you.

16. thanks.