Yipee - bbc journo released

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by SS-super-stoker, Jul 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This must be very important, as the story is worthy of 8 headlines (out of 48) on the front page of the bbc internet news front page.

If I was stupid enough to pay the fee, I would stop.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, confusing vibe from your post; so you're saying that the release of a Western hostage, isn't newsworthy?! And as the hostage was a BBC employee, of course they would publish it on the website; it's good news for his family, his colleagues, the atmosphere in the region, but most importantly, for Alan Johnstone himself. And what that has to do with licence fees is beyond me! :roll:
  3. I wonder if it has anything to do with him being a journalist?

And a BBC journalist too?

Look on the bright side though, at least he managed to lose a bit of weight in time for his summer holidays. :tongue:
  4. Not getting a total grip on your oringal post SSS. This is good news isn't it? Not to worry, hopefully someone would have posted it in Current Affairs?
  5. Not quite the same but did we ever find out what happened to those brits working for a private security firm?? Were their bodies recovered?? Was a ransom asked for??

Takes your money etc but my thoughts go out to them as it sounds as though they didnt even get the chance to fire off any rounds to defend themselves.
  6. This was the point of my post. When was the last time you heard about these five?

The front page of their web site is not a bbc in-house magazine.

It proves yet again that the bbc can't be viewed as unbiased when they report on anything (something which they claim to be). Whenever they are challenged over anything they claim "it's in the public interest". This is not.

As for eight headlines on their main page for one man being released - normally you can expect up to two when they are reporting three UK soldiers killed in action.

The happiness of the parents of this guy is not the most important news item in Scotland at this present time.
  7. Thanks and praise go to HAMAS then :)
  8. sgtpepperband

Hmm, let's see: I'm sure the tragic death of the private security contractors was covered by the media when it was 'current news' (i.e. when it happened). But has anything happened to them since? Unlikely, hence it would have appeared in the news (not just the BBC). But today a BBC hostage was freed, so that is newsworthy.

If you're that committed about it can I suggest you protest outside BBC Broadcasting Centre, like Alan Johnston's supporters had been for the last 100+ days.

Actions speak louder than words.
  9. Actions speak louder than words - don't pay the fee - which I said in my first post. Got there in the end.
  10. sgtpepperband

As you've been quiet this afternoon, I assume you've been busy, going to the Post Office to cancel your licence, and you've also pulled the aerial and plug from your TV set?! :roll:
  11. Again, read the first post - I don't pay the fee.

Maybe the bbc are repeating the headline eight times for your benefit.
  12. sgtpepperband

So you don't possess a TV then?! If so then you are breaking the law. By the way, deliberate typo to see if I bite?! :roll: :wink:
  13. I think there are points being missed here. The point is that he was a journo with an excellent reputation in the area, and frequently in the public eye. He was held for 114 days, longer than any other journo in the area at present. He was not executed (but then he wasn't kidnapped by AQ). He has been released, largely due to Hamas' security action.

The bodyguards went to Iraq, where UK personnel are known to be targets of insurgents and AQ. They knew that and went. They are faceless to the general populous.

Different cases, different circumstances.
  14. sgtpepperband

OSLO: Hear, hear! Thank you for boosting my confidence in the value of plain-speaking common sense. :lol:
  15. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

An extraordinarily nasty experience for AJ but the episode is ironic given the BBC's permanent pro-Palestinian and anti-Israeli bias.
  16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

So if your a journo you get loads of coverage and wall to wall halla-fcekin-lullas if you get kidnapped and released (we pay for the coverage as well...bonus)

If your an ex squaddie you get bugger all coverage and everyone forgets about you.

I'm happy for Mr Johnson, honest I am, and his folks and his new best friend (his publisher). I just wish all british citizens would be treated equally by the British media when they get kidnapped in nasty places...Stand fast Terry Waite, sick to death of you, fcuking God botherer.
  17. FFS, no I don't have a tv.

FFS, if I spot a typo are you saying I can't change it?
  18. No, the original point being missed (by some) is that the bbc are swamping their website (currently 10 out 50 items on their front page) covering the release of one guy from Palestine because he is one of their own. It's either piss poor biased editing or lazy journalism. "Oh look boss, I got an exclusive".

The missing five is just one story that deserves at least some coverage. There are plenty more things happening on the planet.

Report his release, yes, but the coverage is way over the top.
  19. I reckon the whole thing was a PR stunt by the Palistinians… kidnap and absolutely pro Palistinian Journo, said Journo, showing no obvious signs of duress and stress makes suitable tapes to press the case and bigging it up for the Palistinian cause, eventually the Palistinians having milked it for all the PR value it's worth release him…
  20. Already sick of hearing about Johnson. Its great that he has been released with the help of HAMAS! Hang on the group that held him are part of HAMAS, confusing or what? Did they help secure his release or actually did THEY release him? Anyway, old news, dont care.

Typical BBC, I had to hunt through their website to find the news that broke yesterday about the death of the NATO peacekeepers.

in related news..

"The abduction and captivity of the BBC correspondent Alan Johnston in Gaza has highlighted the dangers journalists are facing all over the world.
    2007 is already on course to surpass 2006 as the deadliest year for journalists" boo hoo, cry me a river..... It hasnt been a great year to be in the Armed Forces either....
    "INSI, which describes itself as "a non-governmental organisation dedicated to the safety of journalists and media staff and committed to fighting the persecution of journalists everywhere", highlights the dangers facing journalists and the hotspots"...wouldn’t it be nice to have someone giving a dam about our Armed Forces as well? Maybe I just dreaming....

Hey Journalists, don’t want to get killed, its easy, stay away from war zones...no one is forcing you to go. You go to these places under your own free will and what for, to tell the world whats happening or just for the glory of a great story, from the ones Ive met it’s the latter. I refuse to feel sorry for them.