Yet another Noob

#1
Wondering if anyone can help me Im hopefully going to be a CIS(SM) I have my interview soon asked in the noob section for specific knowledge questions that I might be asked and Soleil came up with a very good one. I have spent my entire morning (the boss is off today) searching but not come up with anything

What is involved in the day to day work of a CIS(SM)?

Now I know this is going to be open to piss taking but some sensible answers would be greatly received.

Cheers

Oscar (Wayne)
 
#4
oscar_the_grouch said:
Wondering if anyone can help me Im hopefully going to be a CIS(SM) I have my interview soon asked in the noob section for specific knowledge questions that I might be asked and Soleil came up with a very good one. I have spent my entire morning (the boss is off today) searching but not come up with anything

What is involved in the day to day work of a CIS(SM)?

Now I know this is going to be open to piss taking but some sensible answers would be greatly received.

Cheers

Oscar (Wayne)
scrubbing out traps one thru three!
 
#5
FunkyJunky said:
being a glorified secretary
Wasnt disappointed with the piss taking thanks for that I like the sound of the secretary bit, all ours does at work is sit around drinking tea. But there must be someone with a sensible answer.

JonnoJonno said:
You might be advised to spell 'Derby' correctly on your application form.
As you can see it has now been changed just for you
 

shellbackmac

Lantern Swinger
#7
You'll know whats happening before anyone else does onboard (priceless), you can doctor the football results to annoy everyone and you can keep the boat at PD for a laugh by pretending you're still busy in the shack when you are close up and reading the WT frankie vaughan collection.


... .-- .- .-.. .-.. --- .-- -- -.-- -.- -. --- -...



.-. .-.-.
 
#14
oscar_the_grouch said:
EasilyDistracted said:
one of the main jobs of a CIS(SM) is 'having to go pick up signals' when it's his turn to go on trot.
Im sure this is a wind up and Im going to regret asking this Im sure :D but...can you elaborate please.

Upper Deck Trot is basically three hours of standing around on top of the submarine when on duty.

Sentry duty, so if someone is trying to get to your submarine and makes his way past the police boats and the marines, he's got a tired submariner to deal with...woe betide anyone that tangles with those steely eyed, thousand yard staring death dealers
 
#15
EasilyDistracted said:
oscar_the_grouch said:
EasilyDistracted said:
one of the main jobs of a CIS(SM) is 'having to go pick up signals' when it's his turn to go on trot.
Im sure this is a wind up and Im going to regret asking this Im sure :D but...can you elaborate please.

Upper Deck Trot is basically three hours of standing around on top of the submarine when on duty.

Sentry duty, so if someone is trying to get to your submarine and makes his way past the police boats and the marines, he's got a tired submariner to deal with...woe betide anyone that tangles with those steely eyed, thousand yard staring death dealers
Oh right thats what the 'Trot sentry' is there for!!
So he doesn't do safety rounds anymore then or check the draught marks periodically then
No wonder the mob has disappeared down the pan!
 

fails_as_is

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
#16
I think the tongue in cheek comment of a CISSM having to "go and get signals" is to exercise his privilege as a COMSEC cleared rating to collect the signals from the COMMCEN (which is conveniently close to his accommodation, particularly when taking the route via the NAAFI), rather than go and stand on top of the submarine getting cold, wet and bored.
 
#17
fails_as_is said:
I think the tongue in cheek comment of a CISSM having to "go and get signals" is to exercise his privilege as a COMSEC cleared rating to collect the signals from the COMMCEN (which is conveniently close to his accommodation, particularly when taking the route via the NAAFI), rather than go and stand on top of the submarine getting cold, wet and bored.
Ah the halcyon days!
 
#18
shaddythers said:
fails_as_is said:
I think the tongue in cheek comment of a CISSM having to "go and get signals" is to exercise his privilege as a COMSEC cleared rating to collect the signals from the COMMCEN (which is conveniently close to his accommodation, particularly when taking the route via the NAAFI), rather than go and stand on top of the submarine getting cold, wet and bored.
Ah the halcyon days!
So I have made a good choice then? :)
 
#19
fails_as_is said:
I think the tongue in cheek comment of a CISSM having to "go and get signals" is to exercise his privilege as a COMSEC cleared rating to collect the signals from the COMMCEN* (which is conveniently close to his accommodation, particularly when taking the route via the NAAFI), rather than go and stand on top of the submarine getting cold, wet and bored.
*Not forgetting his bounden duty to chat up the COMMCEN Jennies and regale them all with epic dits of S/M derring-do...... :wink:
 
#20
oscar_the_grouch said:
shaddythers said:
fails_as_is said:
I think the tongue in cheek comment of a CISSM having to "go and get signals" is to exercise his privilege as a COMSEC cleared rating to collect the signals from the COMMCEN (which is conveniently close to his accommodation, particularly when taking the route via the NAAFI), rather than go and stand on top of the submarine getting cold, wet and bored.
Ah the halcyon days!
So I have made a good choice then? :)
If you take the word of someone who was a failure in that branch.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top