YES!!! Got My Application - Finally!!!

War Hero
The point about previous jobs is not so much that you can prove you did them but that you were actually doing something and what you gained from that.

tbh someone who's been sitting about doing nothing for four years is of little interest to the service, whereas the fact that you've been doing ''stuff'' demonstrates a few things. The point that you've spent time overseas is useful as it demonstrates flexibility and the ability to adapt, working with your dad can be worked to your advantage as by its nature the work involved interacting with people, a degree of self discipline etc.

Pols points are entirely valid, you are coming across as a flap merchant, which isn't a good thing. Yes it's reasonable to be aware of these things and how to put them across at interview, but just ease off a little and relax.

Creddly, i do recommend that you stand outside your local AFCO and watch the scutters that go in! Honestly, if you come across to the recruitment staff like you do to us, you're going to be snapped up (well, if you don't worry so much!). You've got a lot to give, you've experienced more than you think and you say you've left school with no qualifications? I think you can spell better than anyone else on this board and want to join more than anyone, i reckon. Believe in yourself!

slim

War Hero
Credders If they ask you what you have achieved you can always say:

"I've crossed swords with the rumration guys and still want in"

Karma said:
The point about previous jobs is not so much that you can prove you did them but that you were actually doing something and what you gained from that.

tbh someone who's been sitting about doing nothing for four years is of little interest to the service, whereas the fact that you've been doing ''stuff'' demonstrates a few things. The point that you've spent time overseas is useful as it demonstrates flexibility and the ability to adapt, working with your dad can be worked to your advantage as by its nature the work involved interacting with people, a degree of self discipline etc.

Pols points are entirely valid, you are coming across as a flap merchant, which isn't a good thing. Yes it's reasonable to be aware of these things and how to put them across at interview, but just ease off a little and relax.
Thanks Karma - I wasn't mocking Pol's advice. It was, like yours, very appropriate and my dad on the blower just said I'm panicking a bit too much and anyone would swear I'm applying for the MI5! lol

snapdragon said:
Creddly, i do recommend that you stand outside your local AFCO and watch the scutters that go in! Honestly, if you come across to the recruitment staff like you do to us, you're going to be snapped up (well, if you don't worry so much!). You've got a lot to give, you've experienced more than you think and you say you've left school with no qualifications? I think you can spell better than anyone else on this board and want to join more than anyone, i reckon. Believe in yourself!
Thanks again Snappy - Always the confidence giver!

Lol until everyone's praise on this site, I honestly thought I was probably the worst applicant to the Royal Navy ever and assumed all the people applying had massive amounts of work history and zounds of qualifications. I guess I was wrong! lol

Thanks again SnapDragon!

slim said:
Credders If they ask you what you have achieved you can always say:

"I've crossed swords with the rumration guys and still want in"
Exactly, what bigger achievement is there than surviving a banter battle on Rum Ration? :razz:

One other thing... on the employment history, does the Army count?

Or is that sort of in with the previous service history?

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this! :oops:

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Congrats on your diligence so far Creddly; I really admire your enthusiasm for the RN. However, I must warn you that you may become disillusioned when you realise that most of those around you don't share your 'get up and go'. I'm not saying it is wrong what you are doing, but don't let the b*stards grind you down - it is them who has the problem, not you.

Lol new set-back now fellas!!!

Just found out my Passport has expired so I can't even put down the passport number now.

I'll have to phone AFCO tomorrow and let them know straight away and apply for an immediate passport renewal!

GOD AM I EVER GOING TO GET THE BALL ROLLING?!?!?! :evil:

creddly said:

Just found out my Passport has expired so I can't even put down the passport number now.

I'll have to phone AFCO tomorrow and let them know straight away and apply for an immediate passport renewal!

:shock: Only ONE ball Creddly? My condolences!

Always_a_Civvy said:
creddly said:

Lol - I wonder IF I get in and I'm aboard one of Her Majesty's finest Boats, will I look back and laugh at this and wonder why I was so worried! lol

creddly said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
creddly said:

Lol - I wonder IF I get in and I'm aboard one of Her Majesty's finest Boats, will I look back and laugh at this and wonder why I was so worried! lol
From the look of your avatar all you'll need to worry about is if you fall down a ladder and in a state of delirium whisper 'Kiss me Hardy!' Watch out for those Stokers... they'll suddenly appear from every hatchway and down every ladder and will be kissing you all over! :wink: :lol:

morsehorse

Lantern Swinger
Creddly
Don't delay the application just because your passport has expired.When I applied I never even had a passport and the Mob kindly paid and supplied me with one.
Perhaps serving members can say if this is still a perk of the job.!!
Put all your work experience down,however mundane you may think it is,it shows that you will be able to put up with the boring bits whilst in the Mob and believe me there are plenty of those!!.
Be positive,be smart in your appearance,be confident and smile.
You seem to have the determination to succeed and you will.
Good luck ,I would have been delighted to have had you on my watch at any time.
MH
xx

hi babe -
i washed my bro in laws passport (silly arse left it in his jeans pocket ) - and the RN are supplying a replacement one for him - like Morse I never had a passport when i joined - the mob sorted mine out for me too.

Best of luck , if you ever gp to Sultan / Collingrad or pompey give us a shout xxx :wink: :lol: :wink:

hi creddiers
let the AFCO know that your passport has run out, (I know that you will need one before you join. I was asked to bring one in as part of my appilcation) also don't delay in appling for a new passport, as it can take some weeks for a new one to turn up.
hope this helps
ship_rat

morsehorse said:
Creddly
Don't delay the application just because your passport has expired.When I applied I never even had a passport and the Mob kindly paid and supplied me with one.
Perhaps serving members can say if this is still a perk of the job.!!
Put all your work experience down,however mundane you may think it is,it shows that you will be able to put up with the boring bits whilst in the Mob and believe me there are plenty of those!!.
Be positive,be smart in your appearance,be confident and smile.
You seem to have the determination to succeed and you will.
Good luck ,I would have been delighted to have had you on my watch at any time.
MH
xx
Thanks Morsehorse. Some top tips there I shall be taking in don't you worry!!!

I'm now just putting everything I've ever done on the continuation sheet.

brazenhussy said:
hi babe -
i washed my bro in laws passport (silly arse left it in his jeans pocket ) - and the RN are supplying a replacement one for him - like Morse I never had a passport when i joined - the mob sorted mine out for me too.

Best of luck , if you ever gp to Sultan / Collingrad or pompey give us a shout xxx :wink: :lol: :wink:
Thanks Brazenhussy... I will definitely look you up if I'm ever there :wink: !

ship_rat said:
hi creddiers
let the AFCO know that your passport has run out, (I know that you will need one before you join. I was asked to bring one in as part of my appilcation) also don't delay in appling for a new passport, as it can take some weeks for a new one to turn up.
hope this helps
ship_rat
Cheers Shippers!

It would have been nice for the Navy to pay for a new one for me, but I don't just need it for that...

Got a 2 weeker in the South of France from Monday 26th March.

Which brings me to yet another problem... I know it's ridiculous, but will the AFCO mind not being able to give me any interview dates or any test dates during that time because it was booked long before the presentation I attended in December - I'd just completely forgotten about it!

I was going to cancel the Holiday because I thought the Navy might be a little pissed changing and swapping dates to suit me. But my dad said he wanted me to go because he's moving there and I'm gonna try and get in the Navy, so I won't be seeing them often and it would be nice to spend some time with my 3 year old sister before they move for good!

hi
when i applied and put my application in, i was about to go on battle camp. the AFCO said that he would put me in for my RT test half way through battle camp. i said that i could not make that date and offered him another date. he was happy to accomodate me.
same with my interview and medical date, i could not make it due to work, they happy changed the dates. just let them know that you are going on holiday, it shouldn't be a problem.
ship_rat

ship_rat said:
hi
when i applied and put my application in, i was about to go on battle camp. the AFCO said that he would put me in for my RT test half way through battle camp. i said that i could not make that date and offered him another date. he was happy to accomodate me.
same with my interview and medical date, i could not make it due to work, they happy changed the dates. just let them know that you are going on holiday, it shouldn't be a problem.
ship_rat
Cheers Shippers!!

I am going down to personally deliver the application anyway. But do you think it will be a problem if I phone them and ask for another application because this one has few mistakes and I seemed to have misplaced the much-needed continuation sheet.

Or should I just fill it out, write down the extra information on a blank piece of paper, take it down and just fill out a new one perfectly at AFCO?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Credders for fucks sake just get it done, at your present rate of advance you'll be to old to join

calvin1975

Midshipman
janner said:
Credders for fucks sake just get it done, at your present rate of advance you'll be to old to join
janner!! f%^&*(g tea sprayed all over the monitor!!! pmsl

credders, he's right mate, just do it man!!