Yes! Five Life Sentences.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Bergen, Sep 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why dont that surprise me he is from Texas ?

2. How times have changed????

MY LAI MASSACRE

"I would say that most people in our company didn't consider the Vietnamese human"

More than 500 people were killed in just hours. Some of the corpses were mutilated. Some women who weren't killed were gang-raped.
    Men, women and children, including babies, were killed in the carnage that followed. Praying children were shot in the back of the head, elderly men were hacked to death with bayonets. People were shot on their knees, in the back, with their hands in the air.

Not everyone in the company took part in the massacre, but enough of them did, led by Calley who reportedly mowed down 60 captured civilians in a ditch by himself after his soldiers balked at the order. Although the Army's official report determined that only about 10 soldiers actually performed the massacre, that's kind of hard to believe in light of the devastation ultimately wrought.

Toward the end of the massacre, a helicopter gunship came to the assistance of the villagers. An army pilot named Hugh Thompson landed his craft in between villagers and the rampaging soldiers, ordering his gunner, Lawrence Colburn to fire on any soldier who continued pursuing the fleeing villagers. Thompson and Colburn radioed two more helicopters to the scene and airlifted a dozen villagers to safety. They were rewarded for their bravery... thirty years later. The helicopter's crew chief Glenn Andreotta was also recognized for bravery, but posthumously. Before the war ended, he became one more casualty of Vietnam.

U.S. Army Lt. William Calley was convicted in 1971 of premeditated murder in ordering the shootings and initially sentenced to life in prison; two days later, however, President Richard Nixon ordered him released from prison, pending appeal of his sentence. Calley served 3½ years of house arrest in his quarters at Fort Benning, Georgia, and was then ordered freed by Federal Judge J. Robert Elliot.

3. Ah yes, but wasn't it better know as "Pinkville"

4. can anyone remember the name of that film which portrayed a similar/same set of events, raping civilians, shooting them and burning their house?

5. PLATOON ?

6. Punish an ossifer???!!! But what are scapegoats for?

Confused and pissed on coffee.

7. Casualties of war ?

http://www.fast-rewind.com/casofwar.htm

8. Yeah! He's been let off with 5 consecutive life sentences! It's going to be too easy for the bastard, 60 years in a maximum security Texan prison! As far as we know it could only have been one juror who didn't agree with the death sentence, and the juror may be somebody who doesn't agree with execution; such people must exist even in Texas. And one more point; there were probably African-Americans on the jury as well as redneck whites. :roll:

9. Are you thinking of the film Casualties of War with Michael J Fox, it had a theme pretty close to what was mentioned.

10. Little Red Riding Hood :oops:

11. Well now, I didn't say that did I? I don't have much faith in any legal system; as someone once said "the law is like the Ritz Hotel, open to everyone".

12. I recall an MP, Sir Gerald Nabbaro who was quoted as saying after his trial for some traffic offence which he got his female companion to roll over for,

"The Law is for those who can afford it................".

But I also understand that some High Court Judge saying, " You have come to this Court for Justice, instead, you get THE LAW and all that attaches to it". :eek: