Yeovilton or coldrose?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by miffster23, Sep 21, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am due to start my journey at Raleigh June 2017 and I have a bit of a conundrum of where to be based. I lived in Cornwall until 3 years ago and all of my family live there still where as Yeovil is a lot closer to the big city's and has a lot going on. Which one has the better facility's and things to do once shifts ended if anyone has got my past experience id love to hear your take on it.

2. For me it would be Yeovilton, had some really great runs ashore there, long time ago don't know what it's like now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. A lot of people have said Yeovil but just wanted to see what the pros and cons were

4. It's not very warm in Seahawk.
    Don't worry. That conundrum will be solved for you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Worked at both.

CU is great in the Summer however full of Holiday makers and the roads are gridlocked, shite in the winter.
    I spent most of my off watch drinking in Helston however I was in my late teens, early 20's with no ties.

VL is a "bit" more central, Yeovil is OK for a night out.
    Bought a house and got married, game over on social life :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. I know Cornwall like the back of my own hand as I lived there until a couple of years ago but is there much of a deference to what you can do as in sports and activities or courses or is it all pretty much the same ? And I thought you got to choose the first base ?

7. You do get to choose your first base, then they tell you where you're actually going.

Occasionally they're both the same :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. You get to express a preference, a slightly different thing!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ditto :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ah I see my friend who is currently on trade training and said most want Yeovil thought that there must be a reason must just be closer to home. Thank you guys

11. My preferred choice was VL, Helston OK if you like the 1950's ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I did most of my rotary wing training in Helston. Loved it, especially Flora Day :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. I had a shit DO, insisted on flying in chef's whites :)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1