Year Long Mobilizations Fact or Fiction????

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by itsamuppet, Mar 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone else heard a rumour that the next lot of mobilizations could well be compulsory and also be for a year instead of the 6-8 months they are now.

I know my family and Boss aren't best pleased that they may lose me for 6 months, but 12 could well be the straw that broke the camels back and then kicked him in the bollocks for good measure.

Yes I know I can leave and yes I know I knew the risks when i signed up, but I enjoy it, I'm at a rate and trained strength when I'm actually useful to the RN and when i signed up we where fighting the Russians, I had no responsabilities and my pay was naff.

I have no problem being compulsory mobilized again for 6 months, but 12 would be a severley career limiting every 3 years.

2. Fully understand your concerns, my understanding is that all Reserve Forces personell are subject to cumpulsory mobilisation for 12 months in a 3 year period - and have heard that this 3 year period is soon to be extended to 5 years (phew)
    I also understand most tours are currently 6 months, add a month and a bit of training before tour and a month and a bit of leave o/c of tour and we arrive at the 8 to 10 month period of mobilisation most people have done. There is therefore nothing to stop tour lengths increasing by about a month and a half, but that will be about all that can be increased, as the whole period of mobilisation must not be greater than 12 months.

As for the 12 months mobilised in every 3 years, well firstly, lets hope that this streaches to the 5 years I mentioned above, and secondly, I think anyone who has been compulsory mobilised (that's someone who doesn't want to go, but will go if the brown envelope arrives) and then 3 years later gets another brown envelope will have a pretty good case to appeal if there are others in thier branch that have yet to be mobilised.
    Perhaps there is a thridly, and that is, the powers that be should understand hat employers (let alone family) will not be able to sustain 1/3 of employment time being RNR!

Hope that helps

3. I have a theory. Well I did before I left the RNR.

I was asked if I would be mobilised for GW2, I did go, even though I was 3 months away from my professional exams and we were really busy at work and even if it was only to Portsdown Hill (if you were that bloke who used to do bench presses outside overlooking Portsmouth please PM me!). I had a duty to go, even to Portsdown Hill, because I had taken the Queen's shilling (well £1500 tax free bounty to be precise) and I would never be able to look my Dad in the face again if I did not.

However, if they wanted to mobilise me again, I would have taken up my employer's offer to appeal because as much as I loved the RNR there were many people who had never been mobilised because they had all the excuses and should have stood up to go, and whilst the RNR paid for my extravagent shoe and handbag addiction it did not pay the mortgage, at the end of the day they show you the door with only a shiny medal for thanks, no pension, no nothing. I know in the long term who my loyalty was to.

4. The chances of extension are likely only if the broader forces move to a 9 month tour rotation. Given this is unlikely, I wouldn't worry too much.

5. I think that could be what he's referring to. I'd always heard that it was six month deployments until I was deployed a couple of years ago, then with all of the training added on, and then the eot leave when you CANNOT return to your civvie job, you're out of work for around eight months. In this day and age, what employer will keep your job available for eight months..

As someone who is self-employed, I could handle this, especially as my income would be covered by the Navy, but I can certainly understand why employers are getting nervous and why people with families are the same. Eight months is a long time to be away, and if it's stretched just a little, then you're hitting the year mark.

If I'm wrong with this, someone please correct me

6. You can return to your civ job during this period. You just have to let pusser know. Can't quite recall the reasons but I do remember being asked the question on demob.

7. I am currently mobilised, start date is 23rd Jan 08, and finish date is 23rd Jan 09. My tour is only for 6 months, between May and November, however I am currently undertaking the training required to be fully prepared for mobilisation which is quite intense. Between November 08 and Jan 09, is my accumulated leave, so effectively I do not have to return to my civie job until January (can do so if I wish, but Navy will continue to pay me anyway).

So effectively, I am out of my civie job a year, for a 6 month mobilisation. Family and Employer are brilliant about it, but I guess if I got asked to be mobilised again in a couple of years' time, and there were others who HADN'T volunteered, or had been told they were going and refused, then I would be a tad hacked off.

8. You get 20 days Post Operational Tour Leave (POTL) after a 6 month operational tour. This leave is to help you to adjust/calm down/get your head sorted and Pusser regards this as important. Although you have been demobilised, you are still being paid by Pusser so they can refuse to let you go back to your civvy job during the leave. If you want to go back to work during POTL you can request it and it will be decided based on its merits e.g. where you were serving and what you were doing. It may affect your subsequent claim for PTSD if you didn't take your leave. :laughing8:

9. This quote is not quite correct.
    Under RFA 96 it states something like that you can only be compulsory mobilised once in a 3 year period. however you can volunteer to be mobilised more freqently should it fit your individual circumstances.

Although there has been much gossip regarding extending from 3 to 5 years, this is merely a buzz and has no substance at present.

10. JSP753 is a good read on this. Quote:

DURATION OF CALL OUT

0216. The 1996 Act (RFA96) includes provisions to protect the reservist by limiting the maximum obligatory period of permanent service under each of the call-out powers. The limits are:

a. three years in any six, extendable by Order of Her Majesty to five years in any six, for call-out under Section 52,

b. twelve months in any three years, extendable by order of Her Majesty to two years in any three for call-out under Section 54;

c. nine months in any twenty seven months with no provision for extension, for call-out under Section 56.

SECTIONS

0210. Thus Her Majesty may make an order authorising call-out:

“…if it appears to Her that national danger is imminent or that a great emergency has arisen; or in the event of an actual or apprehended attack on the UK.†(Section 52).

[We're all in the sh*t by that stage]

0211. The Secretary of State may make an order authorising call-out:

“…if it appears to him that warlike operations are in preparation or in progress.†(Section 54) or

“…if it appears to him that it is necessary or desirable to use armed forces on operations outside the UK for the protection of life or property; or on operations anywhere in the world (including the UK) for the alleviation of distress or the preservation of life and property in time of disaster or apprehended disaster.†(Section 56).

0212. This second power (Section 56) relates to peacekeeping, humanitarian and disaster relief operations. The wording is specifically designed to exclude the call-out of reservists in the event of civil disorder in the UK.

1 year in 3 is the legal limit which has to include all your PDT and POTL - so around max 8/9 months deloyed.

1 year in 5 is MOD's "aspiration" only.

11. I would have thought that most call-outs are under Section 56 not Section 54. The legal limit should be nine months in any twenty seven months with no provision for extension.

12. The point is the latest mobilisations cant be compulsory under the RFA 96 act as it doesn't fit any of the criteria....... so are the latest mobilsations for the RNR's to sit in Scotland doing very little (so i have been informed by someone up there mobilised) compulsory under RFA 96 or volunteers? just wondering :whew:

13. Hi Bisley,

Ask somebody who is mobilised in Scotland what Section they were mobilised under? it should say in their call-out papers.

14. Damn good idea. :dwarf:

15. Sorry, but why aren't they compulsory under section 56. Would have thought Iraq & 'Stan could be argued to fall under this.

The whole thing about "intelligent" mobilisation is that you state you CAN be available when suits you but the mobilisation will be compulsory to protect (?) you under RFA96. At least that's what happening with me later this year

16. Erm.... When I was in the RNXS I, and my employer, always understood that were I called-up it would be until the emergency had finished, whether that was 3 weeks or 10 years! Mind you that was back pre-1993! :lol: My employer also made it clear that I would be deemed to have, in effect, resigned, when I was mobilized.

One year in three sounds sheer luxury to me! :)

Head down awaiting incoming........ :dwarf:

17. As an interesting side comment/gripe, when I got back from being mobilised I used my post deployment leave to go off and do additional RNR courses, under the misaprehension that it would help me complete my taskbook quicker and therefore expedite my promotion. However 5 years later I am still a lowly AB. Won't be tempted to do anything stupid like that again!! :threaten: