Yay? She's a Petty Officer?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by tomcat24, Feb 17, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh bore off, the website regularly congratulates men too on their achievements. go join Wilt somewhere.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not as an Aircraft Handler.

Not so long ago, there was a rather bone-headed boast in the branch that no female had passed phase two training as it was "too difficult". Fortunately those people were re-educated with the concept of "train to pass" rather than brag about how high the branch training wastage figures were. A similar thing happened with Divers, who used to think a high fail rate was due to difficulty rather than inadequate training.

Well done to her, another glass ceiling rightfully smashed.
    • Like Like x 7
  3. I never said I was anti-feminist.
  4. thanks for the clarification.
  5. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I think this gave it away.

"A Female Leading Airman Aircraft Handler has become the first to qualify for Petty Officer and be promoted in her branch at Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose"

6. Congrats to her and a hearty well done gal!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. They will be giving her a vote next! ";)"

Well done shipess :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  8. So Monty had a hand in her training?
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Gawd, let's hope not.
  10. I didn't say you were anti-feminist, just a bit of an arse.
  11. You will make a perfect writer.
  12. Isn't that lovely and she ain't 3 bad as well.

13. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Although the article mentions promotion, the photographs don't support that. She's a Killick in all of them and the presentation is her course certificate and PQPO badge, not two hooks and crown. Perhaps just gash reporting or photo / text matching and there is a lot of it around.

Regardless, well done her.
  14. Realise now why they had to scrap the harriers, they have to be reverse parked ;)

It's banter before I have the equality and diversity police knocking on my post! :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Reminds me of Brian P, a PO(AH) on Lusty mid 90's, talking of spacial awareness.

He towed a Harrier under the rotor disk of a SeaKing, chopping the top of the tail off & wrecking the helo blades.

In HQ1, instead of "Fly One Graveyard" on the incident board, the deck forward of the bridge became "Brian's Scrapyard". ;-P
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Actually this article is wrong Leah winters was the first female handler to complete the PO(AH) qualifying course and was a PO for a short time at the school and before reverting back to leading hand but continued to do a petty officers job.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The badge shown is the non-substantive AH1.
  18. Tomcat. Dubious retraction but you should always remember, 'It is not what you (think) you said, it is what people heard.'
  19. It would be ridiculous to say someone was anti-feminist through a post on an internet forum (whatever 'feminist' actually is anyway!) Just seems there's a group who feel the need to moan the standards are different, why is she getting a news story etc- all uneccessary. Moreover the website informs but is also a tool to advertise. Showing women achieving highly (as well as the men they often show) can only be a positive thing both to congratulate the individual and to give confidence to potential applicants.

The comment about reverse parking is funny because its true.
    • Like Like x 1