Yanks drive Taliban out of Sangin

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wurz, Mar 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh jeez, there goes a pig!
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Let us sincerely hope this bold claim is not premature, otherwise the "lions & donkeys" adage may incur export duty.
  3. 'Taliban returning to Afghan stronghold' SANGIN, Afghanistan, March 8 (UPI) -- U.S. commanders say Taliban fighters are filtering back into their former stronghold in Sangin in southern Afghanistan as spring approaches.

Taliban returning to Afghan stronghold - UPI.com
  4. Or the Grauniad, Monty
  5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I was in Washington just before Christmas and bumped into some of the 3/5 Officers - they were quite humble about their experiences and what had happended out there [under UK control] and what they were consequently doing. A marked contrast from media reporting certainly.

I do wonder whether given time they will achieve the same effect they did in Baghdad in 07/08; The Baghdad Security Plan and "the surge" were all intended to provide local security at a greater number of locations thus creating the conditions to have the locals less concerned about intimidation and overt attacks and then at that point your CIMIC effect takes over. Thereafter you should also potentially gain better local intelligence to exploit and that in turn leads to better and wider security as you can mount more effective operations. It's only the US that will have the manpower to do this but of course it relies upon also having the political freedom to do this and accept what will be greater casualties[initially] as Iraq proved.
  6. Is it not well known that in winter months the Taliban just lie low waiting for warmer weather before they come out to fight.
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It is now... :|
  8. Valid point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well there is the plot for Mel Gibson's next anti-Brit film.
  10. Only to return at a later date.
  11. I seem to recall it all went quiet around this time last year with the casualty rate for British troops dropping significantly.Someone remarked at the time that the Taliban foot soldiers were off planting Poppies etc and would be back by April.They were!