Yangtse Incident on Channel 4 today!

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by tommo, Apr 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. is on now on C4 and repeated on C4 +1 for those who want to watch it

I only just noticed myself
  2. Superb movie.

The battered HMS Amethyst after her escape from the Yangtze
  3. Has anyone got a map, or link to, showing Rose Island and the various locations of the incident?
  4. Jesus it was twice last week. I've watched it that often my Chinese is almost fluent, and I can imitate Chinese gun fire.
    It is a good film though even if it does evoke memories of the lower deck in fuckin old tubs.
  5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

6. Simon_the_cat_HU_043656_Credit_PDSA.jpg

Able Sea Cat Simon DM. and other Amethyst crew
  7. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I watched her being broken up in Sutton Harbour. I always thought what a sad end it was for such a gallant ship.
  8. Very sad indeed, if ever a ship needed preserving it was this one.
  9. Great Movie I've never been up the Yangtse but it looked more like the Dart to me!
    Brings back memories of the lower deck as I found it it 57 on a Battle Class Destroyer.
    Bunks and microwaves in the Mess? who needs them? Climb out your hammock put your bare feet on the table where some are eating,brew a wet with three week old tea leaves,puts lead in your pencil! I think!
  10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

1315 rpt 1315 Film4 tonorrow Friday.
  11. Been there done that its better when your feet are on the table that baggy skid marked Y fronts are sagging down to the knees and you let go a wet fart. And remember in the tropics or the Artic;- Sunday tea was always salad!!!
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  12. The Amethyst, at full speed ahead, passed through to the mouth of the river and made contact with HMS Concord and sent the time-honoured signal.
    "Have rejoined the fleet off Woosung...God save the King." Ps did she just slip her chain, and leave the anchor on the river bed?????
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  13. --------- and the King, being a Royal Good Hand, replied with ---------------------Splice the Mainbrace!

14. First time I have ever seen this, most enjoyable, almost got a small wet patch when the engine room was featured....steam!!.
  15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

One of the Stokers on her was in the Dorset Force now long retired but still around collecting his pension
  16. I think it was filmed on the Orwell.
  17. Where was it filmed? I always thought it looked like the Dart? Interesting to see William Hartnell as the Chief, he always seemed to be playing SNCOs before Dr Who