Yachties

Ballistic

War Hero
The cap tally will be an interesting read
Just pointing out that nowhere in the BBC article is this vanity project referred to as the "Royal Yacht".

If it's manned by Jack, I think the cap tally will have to start with 'HM' but it could be anything really:
HMY (Yacht)
HMVP (Vanity Project)
HMWE (Whit Elephant)
HMMSUTWATE (Millions Spaffed Up The Wall A Taxpayers Expense)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Really, has the steward branch gone?

I always wondered why the crabs had them, all bases ashore so could use locals... also they have so many they employed a few (service) stewards in the Sgts mess at Wittering...
Only the Captain is entitled to have a steward now I believe.

Stewards are being re-trained as chefs.

slim

War Hero
Only the Captain is entitled to have a steward now I believe.

Stewards are being re-trained as chefs.
Problem is that they are now utilising chefs to carry out stewards duties.
I would have problems with that if I were a cabbage mechanic and did not join up to be a flunkey :)

buffersduffer

Lantern Swinger
Just pointing out that nowhere in the BBC article is this vanity project referred to as the "Royal Yacht".

If it's manned by Jack, I think the cap tally will have to start with 'HM' but it could be anything really:
HMY (Yacht)
HMVP (Vanity Project)
HMWE (Whit Elephant)
HMMSUTWATE (Millions Spaffed Up The Wall A Taxpayers Expense)
I’d sooner spend the money on a yacht than waste it on dross.... housing benefit is currently £22bn p/y, I dare say some deserve the help but loads don’t, a new yacht will be a mere drop in the ocean compared to how taxpayers money is wasted elsewhere....

I must admit though if it is to be used to grease deals with Arabs like HMY did a lot of then Prince Andrew can stand down as from the UK ‘ambassadorial’ role he once had

Ballistic

War Hero
I’d sooner spend the money on a yacht than waste it on dross.... housing benefit is currently £22bn p/y, I dare say some deserve the help but loads don’t, a new yacht will be a mere drop in the ocean compared to how taxpayers money is wasted elsewhere....

I must admit though if it is to be used to grease deals with Arabs like HMY did a lot of then Prince Andrew can stand down as from the UK ‘ambassadorial’ role he once had
But it's simply not necessary.
How is it going to 'grease deals' with foreign countries?
Are they going to be super-impressed by our big shiny boat?

This isn't the 1800's anymore; the countries with which we want to strike deals are not easily impressed backward nations - they've got the internet - they know what we're all about and I suspect they're laughing up their sleeves at this news.

Taztiff

War Hero

This isn't the 1800's anymore; the countries with which we want to strike deals are not easily impressed backward nations - they've got the internet - they know what we're all about and I suspect they're laughing up their sleeves at this news.
Just spend the money on grey paint so our war canoes look a bit more 'looked after'.

Before anyone says, Operational not decorational - my backside.

buffersduffer

Lantern Swinger

Prince William made a comment a few years back about the Queen, lots of people have various opinions of her, until they actually meet her, he’s seen world leaders get nervous when she’s in front of them....

I don’t see anything wrong with using the royals or a yacht (whatever form the new vessel is) to promote the UK, fly the flag, show off British engineering (hopefully she’s British built), and as Britannia did act as a bit of UK territory abroad, get the right deals done and the yacht will pay for itself

Ballistic

War Hero
Prince William made a comment a few years back about the Queen, lots of people have various opinions of her, until they actually meet her, he’s seen world leaders get nervous when she’s in front of them....

I don’t see anything wrong with using the royals or a yacht (whatever form the new vessel is) to promote the UK, fly the flag, show off British engineering (hopefully she’s British built), and as Britannia did act as a bit of UK territory abroad, get the right deals done and the yacht will pay for itself
I understand where you're coming from but I just don't think that kind of thing is going to work anymore.
I can't see the Queen being associated with it anyway - she's already given a thumbs down to naming it after her late husband.

I remain unconvinced that this a good idea.

Latest Threads