Yacht skipper accused of obstructing warship

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by plymwebed, Sep 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A yacht skipper has appeared in court accused of obstructing a warship in the dockyard

thisisplymouth

2. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Get him a copy of the old Rule of the Road. 'Steam gives way to sail!!' At least it used to.

3. I'm a keen sailor myself but, irrespective of the merits of this particular case, far too many yachtsmen and dinghy sailors remain under the impression that 'steam' should give way to sail no matter what the circumstances. It's a shame that not everyone has to pass a Rule of the Road test before being let loose in charge of a vessel at sea.

4. COLREGS Rule 9b:A vessel of less than 20 metres in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.

Spot on , 8)

5. Can't believe the Monmouth didn't move out of the channel for the yachtsman, pfft shocking! :lol:

6. Anybody remember when the Torpoint Ferry obstructed a Frigate?

7. SCYLLA IIRC ?

8. Since warship movements at Devonport usually have a MGS RIB going out ahead to clear the way through, I would suspect that the yacht skipper got stroppy with MGS orders to clear out of the way and they have charged him to enforce the Dockyard Port of Plymouth Order which puts into law QHM's right to order individual vessels of any size to keep out of the way.

9. We always used to refer to them as WAFIs (Wind assisted f*****g idiots) and went by the maxim fiberglass gives way to steel.

10. This could be an interesting one, as it will clearly be a matter of opinion what constitutes impeding. It will be interesting to see if this turns out in reality to be a conflict of personality between and over officious MODPLOD and a pompous yachty. These day there are very few who would deliberately get in the real way of a grey war canoe withing the Queens Harbour. Though I know a few who would rely on their own judgement rather that that of MODPLOD

11. True but only where "Steams" ability to manouvre is not restricted or may stand it into danger of collision.

12. The yacht in question was racing at the time and it quite clearly states in the racing instructions issued by the organising yacht club that no competitor will impede a warship whilst inside the Port of Plymouth or they could be disqualified. The Port of Plymouth Regs are quite explicit in this ruling that HM ships shall not be impeded. Its the same the world over, there is always one who will challenge a vessel restricted in its ability to manouevre and claim right of sail over steam! I've seen yachties trying to get VLCC's to move for them! Perhaps the Monmouth should have run the yacht down or even the Modplod treat them as a terrorist threat (remember the USS Cole) and use force against them i.e. shoot them! Unfortunately this will be resolved in court with loopholes being exploited, such as were the correct signals sent or actions taken irrespective of the skippers plain arrogance and foolhardiness.

13. All this of course assumes that the Modplod were not equally arrogant and that in reality no risk existed. As you point out the yacht was racing and racers are very good at judging whether or not risk of collision exists.

This is at present a matter of opinion.

14. An incident a few years ago whilst we were surveying in the Solent, we were plodding along with a towfish streamed and showing RAM shapes. Enter WAFI from stage right, he had clearly seen us and observed us on a steady bearing and at a steady speed but had made absolutely no attempt to alter course, something that he could quite easily have done. With fcuk all distance to run we were forced to go full astern to avoid hitting him, and judging by the look of horror on his face he must have shit himself as we ended up with our anchor hovering over his guardrail. He dripped to the QHM but was told to wind his neck in when he admitted that he had sailed without paying any attention to the notification which detailed our activities in the areas he was transiting.

15. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This seems to be on a level with AP Herbert's yarn in which his hero, Haddock, is paddling a dinghy westbound along the flooded Thames embankment and by sedulously keeping to starboard forces a car into flood water where it stalls. He argues in court that the car constitutes 'steam'.

16. And the ferry didnt alter course? :?: :?: :?:

17. In my time I have witnessed many excellent cases of yachties judgement whilst racing, it normally means them ending up wrapped around buoys or beacons, aground on reefs, or wedged in another craft. I enjoy yacht racing but it never fails to amaze me how much risk some skippers are prepared to take. The run up Plymouth Sound is not short and you cannot fail to notice the warship, police launch, or the out riding rib which tells you the best direction to go. If he showed good judgement why did the other yachts he was racing against all alter their courses and not him. Arrogance perhaps? As for Modplod, arrogant? maybe, but if you tell somebody to do something and they ignore the instruction what should they do? You would expect traffic police and the bobby on the highstreet to be respected and obeyed when they give suitable advice. I will be interested to see where this case goes and if he gets off on some legal technicality

18. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWFd-2_f-NE

19. Yes it did - sideways!
    (And us RAs got an extra night at home while Scylla had her front end looked at) :D

2BM

20. Old,was about 20 years ago,it was a US carrier and a French lighthouse in the enterance to the St Lawrence seaway Canada :) Saint Pierre and Miquelon if I remember rightly :?