Xmas On Somerset

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Morveren, Sep 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm new on here, so I'm not really sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes...
    My other half has recently deployed, and since this is his first time on a ship (so we're both new to this) we have no idea if we're going to get one of those 'alternative xmas's' I've been hearing about, where families are flown out for a week.
    Any insight anyone might have regarding this particular ship (without breaching opsec, pls) would be helpful.
    Is this standard or a one-off / are flight tickets & hotel rooms cheaper for families etc?
  2. Welcome to Rum Ration, Morveren!

3. Welcome to the site.
    Only your other half can tell you what you need to know and how the ship is going to play it. He'll be informed as soon as the ship has finalised any plans and can then e-mail you the details.
  4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Hi Morveren,

I doubt that you'll get cheaper travel. A company called Lanyard travel used to arrange the families holidays out to deployed ships and you could pay it off in installments direct from your pay. I don't know if that's still the case, but they weren't particularly cheap anyway, you'll almost certainly find cheaper deals if you shop around.
  5. Just read that pdf.... oh dear haha!
    Thank you everybody for your help, just keeping fingers crossed they tell us something soon, need to be first in the queue for leave :)