WWI and Polygon Wood.

Discussion in 'History' started by sweetpea, Mar 1, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nice to see you back SP.

2. Bit of a shame that its only soldiers with a "known grave". 'Er Indoors great uncle died at Passchendaele but his body was never found ... only reference is on the memorial at Tyne Cott.

3. Why, thank you kind sir. I've just returned from the Trenches of Death at Diksmuide, Belgium where it was perishing, I nearly had my tail frozen off! :eek:

SP.

4. Anything I can do to alleviate the problem?

5. Had to google that as I've never heard of it before, well impressive.

6. MG, the Menin Gate, in Ypres, is dedicated to those "with no know grave". Names are recorded on panels and there is a book kept at the gate which lists the names, it also gives you the location of the panel that the name is on.

7. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Onions - Tyne Cot has the same - the unknowns on the panels at the back are in the vast majority there. I don't think the names are double tapped onto the Menin Gate. A quick look at the CWGC site will confirm.

Hi Sweetpea...(Blushes)...LOL ... So you have a tail???????

8. Trainer

Sweetpea - was that a Legers Gig? :)

9. Onions ... as Trainer says, Tyne Cot is the same as the Menin Gate and also has panels for those with no known grave. The CWGC site gave provided us with a picture of the panel and its location in Tyne Cot and its not double tapped onto the Menin Gate panels although his name is inscribed on the local war memorial (which I guess is standard).

But thanks for the info ... we are going to get out there one day.

10. went to see a place like that when I was at school, (France) it was odd to see how close the trenches of opposing side really were, I remember my old Headmaster collapsing as he saw a photograph with his brother, who never returned from the war?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Trainer, no, it wasn't a Legers Gig, I had some unfinished research to do. I started off at Nieuwpoort, called in at Nieuport-Bains Cemetery No.1, and No.2 at Leke, then on to Ramscappelle Road Military Cemetery, I then continued on to Ramskapelle. From there I went on to meet up with two Belgian friends and we went to the Trench of Death at Diksmuide. I stayed in the beautiful town square in Diksmuide, opposite the lovely statue of the Man in the Moon. I have been to the Trench of Death before, about five years ago, but the weather was much warmer on that visit! And in answer to your other question, yes I have a tail/tail end = the last or hindmost part of something.... now thankfully thawed.

I didn't consciously intend to follow the Belgian Battle of Yser route, Nieuport down to Diksmuide, but it turns out that's exactly what I did!
    Have you ever visited this area?

SP.

12. Sumo, The reaction of your Headmaster on seeing a photo of his brother who had been a casualty of the war is not uncommon. I have often seen folk visiting the final resting place of an ancestor breakdown at the graveside. It is a very emotional experience for most.

SP.

13. It's well worth a visit Wrecker... don't forget to take your thermal undies with you! :p

SP.

14. MG, I can place a poppy cross by the side of your ancestors name on the Tyne Cot Memorial for you next time I go there, if you like.

SP. :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Appreciated ... PM me when you are going and I'll sort the details out with you

MG

• Like Like x 1
  16. Trainer

@sweetpea .no I've not done that corner, but I am interested, as I talk to my students about Operation HUSH. Which ties in with the Yser. I'm next out in July in the Salient, so if anyone wants something placed on a grave, I'm quite happy to oblige, as long as it's practicable. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. This is a great idea. I remember visiting Tyne Cot and getting very emotional reading the letters on display that serving soldiers had received from their families. Makes one realise that behind each casualty figure there are so many other people who suffered.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Trainer

Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) is still killing people in the Salient.....:(

19. If I recall correctly, the number of deaths caused by people finding/digging up/handling UXO within the Ypres Salient since the end of WWI is now just over 400. This casualty figure does not include the farmers who farm in the area, sadly they too become casualties as they unearth UXO on a daily basis.

SP.

• Informative Informative x 1