WW2 Submariner records - tracing those who served

Discussion in 'History' started by Millydance, Sep 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi people, I'm new to this site so please bear with me - I expect you get lots of requests like mine.

    I am trying to help out a good friend of mine; she was born in 1938, is now 75 years old, and is very frail as a result of long-term illness. She probably has 2 or 3 years left at best. She would love to have some information about her father, who served as a submariner during WW2. He survived the war but my friend's mother divorced him upon his return, and refused him access to his children.

    His name was Charles Roe. He was a CPO. As far as my friend recalls, he served in the Far East. Also, she remembers he was one of the first, if not THE first person to test the Davis submarine escape apparatus. I haver tried googling etc, and I don't seem to be having any luck with tracing him through RN archives.

    Any advice you can give would be most welcome. This lady is very dear to my heart, and I would love to be able to give her some information about her Dad.

    Many thanks for reading this.

    Milly xx
  2. janner

    janner War Hero Book Reviewer

    Hi Milly and welcome to the site.

    You could try contacting the keeper of records at the Submarine Museum, He has extensive records of Submariners, but there are large gaps in the Engineering side, so its a matter of luck really

    Historical Enquiries Form

    Good luck
  3. Thanks for the reply. You mention the keeper of records at the Submarine Museum; can you give me some more info? I'm in Southampton and not far from Gosport where the RN Submarine Museum is. Is this the same museum you are referring to?
    Thanks for your message - all help and advice welcome :D
  4. Welcome, Milly.

    I'm not sure whether this means that you have actually taken the formal route to applying for the gentleman's service record and have been told that nothing is available or whether you mean that you have tried just looking on the internet.

    You need to complete these two forms, add the required attachments and forward them to the address given.



    You may need to obtain the appropriate certificate, in which case you will need to contact the GRO:


    Any problems, let me know.
  5. Milly, yes, it is the Submarine Museum in Gosport. They are very helpful - why not call them and see if they can help?

    If your elderly friend is mobile maybe a trip there would help her too.
  6. Many thanks for all your help and advice, and for sending me the right links :D Now I have somewhere to start. I will keep you posted!

    Milly x

Share This Page