WW2 Sea Boots

Discussion in 'History' started by JoeCivvie, Oct 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm making a 1/6th scale figure based on a WW2 Commander at sea. He'll be in a Duffel, and possibly ant-flash gear but I haven't decided that yet.

I'm trying to find some decent photo references of WW2-period sea-boots, but Google isn't being much help. Am I correct in thinking that they were essentially Wellies?

Thanks very much.

Joe.

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Black wellies, probably with 'white' (actually dirty grey) seaboot stockings rolled down over the top. Maybe pudding-basin WW1 style T Atkins tin hat over the top. Face to colour & texture of corned beef and jut-jawed look of steely determination. NB binos should not only have their leather strap but also a braided codline lanyard in case the leather breaks. Pack of Senior Service fags on the pelorus in front of him. His Tiger in rear proferring cup of tea in fluted Admiralty-pattern bone china cup and saucer.

3. Why not cut to the chaste and send him one of your photographs?

4. Joe

It might be worth ringing either the Royal Naval Museum on 02392 727562 or the Naval Historical Branch on 02392 724327 to see whether they have a suitable pic.

5. Im almost sure the War Memorial on the Hoe in Guzz features statues in a similar pose - might be worth checking on.

6. F471_HMS_Submariner.jpg There's this statue representing a WW2 submariner, the original larger size one is in Westminster Abbey alongside the RM and SAS statues. There's a copy in the submarine school and the submarine musuem has a copy I believe (plus lots of pictures). All you need to do is change the lid.
    The submarine museum even sell T towels with the piccy on (and no, I haven't got one)

Edited for moong spooling

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  7. Great stuff - thank you very much gentlemen.

8. I have one of those tea towels,along with the dolphins one and a VE day tea towel!

9. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I may be totally wrong, but I had the notion that WW2 sea boots were made of leather ?

10. Seaweed

I knew an officer who had a pair of inherited leather seaboots but I think with the quantities involved rubber must have become the thing in WW2. Unlkess, of course, it was easier to get leather than rubber after the loss of Malaya.

11. It most often was rubber sea boots, and nearly always with the top turned down about 3 or 4 inches, the sea boot stockings turned down over that. The boots being shorter were more comfortable to work in.

12. I believe that the First World War boots were - these look like leather:

[​IMG]

13. One last question if I may? With these two caps I'm assuming that the white cap cover would be for tropical wear, and the basic blue more accurate for the North Atlantic?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(I believe that the RN crest is too small on both of those so I'll replace it).

Thanks in advance.

14. Fcuk going over the side with that lot on give me a once only suit any day. Think the black cap was for the war prepared to take flak though

15. White cap was summer rig
    Black cap winter rig

Ready for correction

16. Yes pretty well right in what you say. Also, before WW2 and for a few years after it white caps were worn during summer (along with white fronts) and black for both in winter. During the war the home fleet etc stayed in the black caps all year throughout the war (with white front in summer.) However there was a concesson to continue wearing the wear white caps if just returned from any foriegn area where the white covers were worn, I think it was for 3 months(?) Which is most lileky the reason you sometimes see wartime photo's of crews with both white and black hats.

17. Seaweed

That WW2 rule would apply to junior rates in square rig whose caps were either white or black, but not to others as the white cover was detachable so they would have conformed to the Home Fleet dress of the day. So put your Officer model in a blue cap.

From 1st May 1956 white caps (the new plastic ones, or white covers) were worn all the time.

18. In my early days of MN cadet it was Black peaked hat and a washable white cotton cover to go on it.

The old saying was for start of white caps /black caps
    1st of May coverday---- 1st October covers over .
    ie Black hats 1st October till 1st May /White hats 1stMay till 1st October.

RN stayed all white from 1956 but cotton cap covers for the old peaked black hats were sold in slops for years. They also sold the plastic covers because the plastic peaked hats usually started to go yellow .

Happy days
    G