WW2 IOW bombing remembered 75 years on

Discussion in 'History' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, May 7, 2017.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-39807247

A Polish warship has arrived in the Isle of Wight to help commemorate the 75th anniversary of air raids during World War Two. The Gniezno sailed into Cowes to mark the start of four days of events to mark the anniversary...Seventy people died when Nazi bombers attacked the island on 4 May 1942.At the time a Polish destroyer, ORP Błyskawica, happened to be in Cowes for repairs and played a key role in anti-aircraft defence....

More here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-39835265/why-is-there-a-polish-warship-in-the-isle-of-wight

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. If you are in Gdynia in Poland you can see ORP Blyskawica. She is on display there and is the oldest preserved destroyer in the world. I think she was built in the Isle of Wight.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Which, as it happens, is twinned with Guzz.
    Went to Gdynia once. On a warship. Not sure which or when. And I don't remember seeing any destroyers of any sort. In fact I can't remember much about it at all, as I was mostly leathered.

4. I did a tour round her a couple of years ago. Quite impressed with the guide and the way he related the ship's history, especially to the school kids.

5. She was indeed, at J Samuel White's yard.

6. Hope you didn't get leathered on Polish Spiritus Rektyfikowany as ,when it came to destroyers, you would have been drinking it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  7. The positively terrifying Rear Admiral Józef Bartosik CB DSC was serving in ORP Błyskawica as a watch-keeping officer and deputy gunnery officer in 1940. Reportedly, he was instrumental in shooting down two German aircraft during the Norwegian campaign.

8. Nothing the Polish do or did surprises me. I am a great admirer. They are a fine people.

9. Coming over here, filling our shipping lanes.........:mad:

• Like Like x 2