WW2 Awards - Badges - Medals and understanding them

nhvm

Midshipman
Morning chaps - SP regarding the 2 pieces of paper I referred to I would say that they are 'not' from a newspaper, the title heading 'Good conduct badges and Medal' are pre-typed with '1st Granted' written in pen. The other piece of paper has just been stamped 'Awarded 2 chevrons' with 'KMVQ 435.3' written in pen under it.
Neither have dates or names and are dirty and tatty, certainly got some age about them - I found them in an old (but obviously useful at the time) sweets box containing cap insignia - some badges - medals, from dad and seemingly grandad (WW1)
I assumed that these paper snippets belonged to my father but now you have put the idea in my head that with them having no direct name on them pertaining to my dad, could they be referring to my grandad?

How do I post up the photo re Charleston with the two square rig sailors & dad?

nhvm

Midshipman
Photo says on back ' Ted Dick Jimmy June 1943 Charleston'
Hope this helps in some way?

ted-dick-jimmy-june-1943-charleston-usa-jpg.14487

Attachments

• Ted Dick Jimmy June 1943 Charleston USA.jpg
    Ted Dick Jimmy June 1943 Charleston USA.jpg
    868.1 KB · Views: 27

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
ww2aaRN-PayTables00Ranks-Badges32.jpg I've zoomed in up to the point the picture just pixelates but that's not an officers cap badge, it looks like a tiffs red badge cap, for the op a tiffs red cap badge was the same as a PO's but all in red. Up until the 50's (I think), logistics branch ratings wore Senior Rates for and aft rig with a red cap badge and black buttons on the jackets.

Are you sure he was a seaman and not logistics branch (Writer, Stores etc).

The figure on the right shows a rating dressed as loggie branch.

nhvm

Midshipman
I know the photos not that clear due to age I would guess? - I'd like to know who took it as well?
It follows I suppose if you say PO given that I have all 3 of his cap insignia's - starting off quite plain going up to the 3rd one which is quite ornate and is the largest.

I presume given the timing he would be a PO then in 1943 then at some stage later progressed to officer?

As mentioned before I have seen a photo of him with gold braid on his jacket sleeve cuffs but cant say how much? and I cant find the dammed thing!

Whats a 'tiff'?

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
Excuse me going back into the dim and distant past. The photo brought a load of memories.
1, Caps flat back on head, bow tied above eye.
2, Possible cut silks. No bow.
3,Pale collars, denoting plenty of scrubbing.
4, cuffs turned back.
5 Naval tailored uniform on the Stoker.
6, negative lanyards. (could have been not part of rig then.)
My first impression of the guy on the right was his being a US Navy CPO. To my knowledge the RN never had a uniform of that configuration.
(But of course I could be wrong!)

sweetpea

War Hero
Morning chaps - SP regarding the 2 pieces of paper I referred to I would say that they are 'not' from a newspaper, the title heading 'Good conduct badges and Medal' are pre-typed with '1st Granted' written in pen. The other piece of paper has just been stamped 'Awarded 2 chevrons' with 'KMVQ 435.3' written in pen under it.
Neither have dates or names and are dirty and tatty, certainly got some age about them - I found them in an old (but obviously useful at the time) sweets box containing cap insignia - some badges - medals, from dad and seemingly grandad (WW1)
I assumed that these paper snippets belonged to my father but now you have put the idea in my head that with them having no direct name on them pertaining to my dad, could they be referring to my grandad?

How do I post up the photo re Charleston with the two square rig sailors & dad?

Hello nhvm,

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the paperwork description regarding the chevrons and GCB, I'm now up to date and back on track ... I'm with you. :)

I'll see if I can somehow date the Kings Regulations order KMVQ 435-3 - the paperwork could be from the WWI era. I am not sure how to date that reference as I don't think it is something I have ever tried to do before, I can't promise a result, but I will give it a go!

I've added your photo to my post nhvm, so that all that are following this thread can see it clearly - I do hope you don't mind.

SP.

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I've got a few books of WW2 jack in the states under training (FAA mainly) and they wear yank rig with UK insignia. As has been said, a lot of UK personnel out the Far East, Med and Pacific wore a mix of rigs, British army and yank uniforms, depending on what was available at the time but all with UK insignia and rank badges.