WW1 RNR T Uniform Help

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me more about the uniform of the man in this photograph. He is my great grandad. I know that he served as a minesweeper in the Trawler section of the Royal Navy Reverse in the First World War. Can anyone tell me about the rank and insignia on his uniform? I assume his uniform in this photo would have been a formal uniform. Any interesting information about the work he might have done would be helpful too.

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

huwshpis

War Hero
Looking closely at the photograph, your great-granddad was a rating with between 4 and 8 years' service with good conduct. He has the letters RNR T on his left sleeve just above the good conduct stripe.

The chevrons on his right sleeve are war service chevrons, that is, they show how many years' service he had during the war. There are 3, suggesting that he completed 3 full years of war service. As the chevrons were introduced in 1918, this photograph dates at the earliest from that year, more likely to be later, given the good conduct stripe.

I cannot make out any other badges.

The fact that he served in the RNR suggests that his civilian occupation was as a trawlerman as the RNR of those days was entirely composed of officers and men of the merchant navy and fishing fleets. Civilians who wanted to serve at sea joined the RNVR.

Looking closely at the photograph, your great-granddad was a rating with between 4 and 8 years' service with good conduct. He has the letters RNR T on his left sleeve just above the good conduct stripe.

The chevrons on his right sleeve are war service chevrons, that is, they show how many years' service he had during the war. There are 3, suggesting that he completed 3 full years of war service. As the chevrons were introduced in 1918, this photograph dates at the earliest from that year, more likely to be later, given the good conduct stripe.

I cannot make out any other badges.

The fact that he served in the RNR suggests that his civilian occupation was as a trawlerman as the RNR of those days was entirely composed of officers and men of the merchant navy and fishing fleets. Civilians who wanted to serve at sea joined the RNVR.
Thank you very much for your time. I will pass on this information to my family.

My great-grandfather enlisted in January 1915 and married my great-grandmother (this is their wedding photograph) in June 1918, so the war service chevrons sound right. He came from a rural farming background, and he was a baker and confectioner in Lincolnshire according to the 1911 Census. He never worked as a trawlerman as far as I know, but I will explore this.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
@julietalpha

In view of his trade, he may have been enlisted as a Cook, although what huwshpis says is mainly correct I would guess that not all of those serving on Minesweepers would have the Trawlerman background. There was a similar setup during the second world war, (my late Father served on Trawlers and Tugs) again a majority, but not all, came from a fishing background. During WW2 it was almost a separate navy, do a search on "Harry Tates Navy" which will give you some idea of the set up, how close that would have been to WW1 I don't know.

Last edited:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Do you have anymore photos of him in uniform? The right arm would give more information on his branch (type of job he did).

@julietalpha

In view of his trade, he may have been enlisted as a Cook, although what huwshpis says is mainly correct I would guess that not all of those serving on Minesweepers would have the Trawlerman background. There was a similar setup during the second world war, (my late Father served on Trawlers and Tugs) again a majority, but not all, came from a fishing background. During WW2 it was almost a separate navy, do a search on "Harry Tates Navy" which will give you some idea of the set up, how close that would have been to WW1 I don't know.
Thank you. I spoke to my dad recently about this and he was a cook who allegedly got sunk three times, but that's all he really knew about him. I will have a look at Harry Tate's Navy too as I'd like to learn more about what my great grandfather would have done in WW1.

This is the only other photo I have of him. I suppose it doesn't reveal much. I've asked my dad if he has any more photos of him in uniform.

Attachments