WW1 HM Transport 'Trafford Hall'

Discussion in 'History' started by Jackie, Jan 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Third Officer John Wendon Cridge was buried in Upton upon Severn Cemetery in May 1919. The newspaper article following his funeral relates:

"...who passed away after a long illness at the early age of 25 years. The deceased, who had been in the Mercantile Service for about seven years, was fairly well-known in the district, where he repeatedly came on a visit to his relatives.

He was engaged at the outset of the war in Indian waters, but later H.M. Transport "Trafford Hall", which was specially mentioned for her services, was transferred to German East Africa, where deceased saw two years service and where he contracted the complaint from which he died."

I can't find any record of "Trafford Hall" being in GEA, nor her services.

On his death certificate, cause of death was Pulmonary Tuberculosis. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission said "...For Cridge however, as he was Mercantile Marine, our policy is to commemorate deaths resulting from enemy action only, so I don’t think he would qualify for commemoration by us."

John does not have a headstone, which I find rather sad. Is there any organisation I could contact to ask if he could be considered for official remembrance?

Thanks

Jackie

2. I can see details of a voyage to Karachi in 1914, then one to South Africa in 1914.

The voyages which I can see with a very brief look around for 1918 and 1919 are to Durban, South Africa. For more detail for those particular voyages and for the war years 1914-1918, you would need to consult Lloyds List (for the years 1917-1918, you would need Overseas Shipping Intelligence; Lloyds List stopped publishing shipping movements half way through the War, because of the risk that to continue to do so was endangering ships and so shipping information became Restricted and was only published as OSI).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. Jackie,

It sounds as if John Wendon Cridge received a private burial/funeral. A quick check in the burial register should confirm this. If John W Cridge was given a private family burial then the CWGC are quite right to refuse assistance (as are other associations), they can not provide a headstone because the grave is private, it belongs to the Cridge family.

You need to check the burial register to see whether it is listed as a private grave.

SP.

4. Definitely a private funeral as the newspaper article I quoted listed the mourners. He died at his Aunt's house from the disease (TB), which he contracted in German East Africa during the war. I don't know if he was invalided out during the war due to the TB, or whether he returned after the end of the war already suffering.

I've recorded the war service and burial information for every serviceman remembered on the War Memorial in Upton upon Severn, but can only use the newspaper article, the plan of the Cemetery where John is buried and a photo of the plot as I have no further information.

I've written to the Merchant Navy Association as suggested.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Regards

Jackie

5. Jackie,

I have a copy of the 1911 census that lists John W Cridge and his family.

[TABLE="class: p_resultTable"]
    [TR]
    [TH]Name:
    [/TH]
    [TD]John Wandon Cridge
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Age in 1911:
    [/TH]
    [TD]16
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Estimated Birth Year:
    [/TH]
    [TD]abt 1895
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Relation to Head:
    [/TH]
    [TD]Son
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Gender:
    [/TH]
    [TD]Male
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Birth Place:
    [/TH]
    [TD]Heavitree, Devon, England
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Civil Parish:
    [/TH]
    [TD]Chandlers Ford
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]County/Island:
    [/TH]
    [TD]Hampshire
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Country:
    [/TH]
    [TD]England
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Street Address:
    [/TH]
    [TD]Railway Hotel, Chandlers Ford, Southampton
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Marital Status:
    [/TH]
    [TD]Single
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Occupation:
    [/TH]
    [TD]Apprentice Merchant Service
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Registration District:
    [/TH]
    [TD]Winchester
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Registration District Number:
    [/TH]
    [TD]103
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Sub-registration District:
    [/TH]
    [TD]Hursley
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]ED, institution, or vessel:
    [/TH]
    [TD]6
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Household Schedule Number:
    [/TH]
    [TD]108
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Piece:
    [/TH]
    [TD]6143
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Other Household Members:

James Robert Cridge Age 45 Licensed Victuallar Born Dawlish, Devon, England.
    Eliza Hart Cridge Age 40 Assisting in Business. Born Rayleigh, Essex
    John Wandon Cridge Age 16 Apprentice Merchant Service. Born Heavitree, Devon.
    Dorothy Mary Cridge Age 15 At School. Born Heavitree, Devon.
    Rita Daisy Heeth Age 18 Servant.

Hope this helps with your research.

SP.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  6. Thanks Sweetpea. I didn't have the 1911 information. Dorothy Mary was buried in April 1915 and they buried John in the same grave.

Regards

Jackie

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

[​IMG]

8. Jackie

If you do not make any headway with the official organisations, it might be worthwhile getting in touch with the Editor of your local newspaper. As this year is the year in which the commemoration of the First World War is beginning, you may find that the newspaper considers this to be an interesting story and that you thus find someone who might help financially with your request.

9. Many thanks for all the information & advice. I've written to the Merchant Navy Association but haven't heard back yet. If I do hear from them, I'll let you know!

Thanks

Regards

Jackie

10. Jackie

What exists at the moment to indicate where John Cridge was buried?

11. I've got a review of JWC's funeral from the Upton News; the plan of the Cemetery indicating his (and his sister's) grave and a photo showing the plot. The lower green arrow marks the grave on the plan. (The upper arrow indicates another TB casualty who is being investigated by the CWGC to see whether he should have a headstone.)

Image9.jpg

Image7.jpg Image8.jpg

Regards

Jackie