Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WRNS

Waspie

War Hero
Used to love phoning the telephonists, spelling, asking to dial zero!
Tels, Jacks best friend at Culdrose!!
Any chance of a taxi to Helston???
That is if you weren't donken a MT Wren!!!!
They were about the only branch that could 15-2 telephonist!!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Back to the original Q -

As @Ninja_Stoker extended his time in a blue suit far beyond the expectation of mere mortals perhaps he knows of a former non-seagoing blue badge Jenny Wren or two still serving in a similar role somewhere over those rainbows we see everywhere these days.
I know of a couple or three former blue-badge non-seagoing WRNS still serving FTRS (NCS), doubtless there's a good many more dotted about.

Slightly on a tangent, but the last blue-beret Royal Marine rifleman (They are now all Commando trained upon entry - introduced in 1942), left the Corps, I believe in 1986.

Tels, Jacks best friend at Culdrose!!
Any chance of a taxi to Helston???
That is if you weren't donken a MT Wren!!!!
They were about the only branch that could 15-2 telephonist!!

Went out with a Wren Tel at CU for a while, stunning welsh girl :) Married a pilot I believe....

Dusty70

War Hero
Didn’t they all???
I used to go out with a Wrn Driver at CU in the 70s - excellent she lived in Reading me in Slough and payment was in kind

Went off to sea and gave her the spanish shove (el Bow) - met her 20 years later, she was the Chief instructor on my Resettlement Course - had remained unmarried for all that time

Union Jack

Badgeman
I used to go out with a Wrn Driver at CU in the 70s - excellent she lived in Reading me in Slough and payment was in kind

Went off to sea and gave her the spanish shove (el Bow) - met her 20 years later, she was the Chief instructor on my Resettlement Course - had remained unmarried for all that time
Sounds like you must have created a "Slough of Despond" for the lady concerned...:eek:

Jack

D108

Midshipman
I worked with WRN WA’s in my last draft Working for the MWDC at Dolphin in 95.

They were all very elegant ladies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

slim

War Hero
I worked with WRN WA’s in my last draft Working for the MWDC at Dolphin in 95.

They were all very elegant ladies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My wife was a Wren range Assessor which became Weapons Analysts.
They worked with the aircrew and so many of them married occifers.
think my wife fecked up cos she certainly married beneath herself.
When we got married she was a PO and I was a killick. :)

Waspie

War Hero
My wife was a Wren range Assessor which became Weapons Analysts.
They worked with the aircrew and so many of them married occifers.
think my wife fecked up cos she certainly married beneath herself.
When we got married she was a PO and I was a killick. :)
Used to meet a few WA's post asw exercise. Assessing if our weapon drops were effective!! The records we had to scribe after a sortie - stuff they took ages!!!!!

And yeah, an observation was that many did end up with orficers!!!!

D

Deleted 58790

This is what they wore to look so desirable.
4224.— W.R.N.S. Ratings-Uniform Kits (V/l/4643/45.—2 Aug. 1946.) The following is a consolidation and re-issue of current orders concerning W.R.N.S. ratings' uniform kits and the procedure for supply. 2. The approved kits for W.R.N.S. ratings are shown in the appendix to this order. Issues to New Entries 3. Ratings are not to receive an issue of clothing until they have satisfactorily served their probation, and final enrolment has been completed, but al! probationers whose duties do not as a matter of course involve the use of loan clothing will be required to wear a uniform blue overay during hours of duty, and an issue on loan of one for this purpose is to be made to each probationer on entry. I f the candidate is not finally enrolled on completion of probation the overall is to be recovered, laundered and returned to store for re-issue ; if she is finally enrolled, and if she is then entitled to a gratuitous issue of navy blue over ills, the loan overall will become one of the two allowed in her kit and is to be issued off charge accordingly. Underwear Grant on Entry 4. All new entries who are certified by the appropriate W.R.N.S. administrative officer on enrolment to be in possession of the undermentioned underwear and personal necessaries may be credited with 45s. 2 pairs pyjamas or 2 nightdresses. 3 vests or combinations. 3 brassieres It,- , ,, 2 pairs corsets/or 2 PairK c^selettt 3 pairs knickers (navy or black). 12 handkerchiefs. 1 hairbrush. 1 comb. 1 bootbrush (blacking). 1 bootbrush (polishing). 1 housewife. 1 pair shoe laces. Ratings not in possession on entry of the authorized items may be issued with service pattern articles to make up the full outfit, the cost of such issues being debited in the rating’s pay account but ignored for pay purposes until the credit of 45s. is authorized, i.e. when the W.R.N.S. administrative officer certifies that the rating is in possession of the full amount of underclothes. Payment of the grant is to be noted in the rating’s pay book. Trousers and Jerseys 5. Ratings who receive trousers and jerseys as part of their uniform kit (Classes C and D), or on loan (Class B), are to wear them only when actually employed on the duties indicated. Wearing of Blue Cloth Caps 6. Blue cloth caps are to be worn fairly well forward and are not to be tilted at an angle of more than 15° either to the left or right. On occasions of ceremony the tilt of the cap should invariably be to the right. Protective Clothing 7. Ratings may be supplied on loan with the protective clothing indicated below whenever this is certified by the Commanding Officer of the establishment to be rendered necessary by the nature of the duties undertaken :— (See paragraph 14 for authorized issues of clothing on personal loan) 1 sou’wester. 1 oilskin coat or jacket and trousers. 1 pair sea boots (or clogs or galley shoes if sea boots are not essential but a stout working shoe is required). The sea boots supplied on loan as victualling stores are only intended for wear by boats’ crews and ratings who are subjected by the nature of their duties to exceptional exposure, apd for passive defence purposes. 1 navy blue overall (only to ratings who are not already supplied with any type of overall or overall suit). The articles are to be retained on charge in the supply officer’s loan clothing account in the usual way. 3 4224 Warm Clothing 8. An initial free issue of one comforter and one pair of mitts may be made to all W.R.N.S. personnel'serving in exposed positions at Scottish bases. The issue is to be made only during the period 1st September to 30th April of each year and a note of it is to.bemade in every instance on t}ie appropriate page of the pay book (Form S.43A). No further free issue is to be made to any individual after the first supply. Replacements are to be provided by ratings out of their kit upkeep allowance. Clothing on Advancement 9. A tricorne hat is to be given to all Leading Wrens on advancement to the petty officer rate, together with a first free issue of gilt buttons, an appropriate number of black buttons being withdrawn. For the period of the war gilt cuff buttons are not to be issued to Petty Officer Wrens, but those who already have cuff buttons on their jaekets-may continue to wear them until their jackets are worn out. 10. Petty Officer Wrens on advancement to Chief Wren' are to be given a first free issue of one dozen gilt buttons, eight cuff buttons being withdrawn if originally supplied as a free issue. Recording of Issues 11. Form S.98B is to be used for recording the issue of'articles of kit to WJR.N.S. ratings. Instructions for its use are printed on the form. Supplies should be demanded from the R.N. Store Depot, Elveden Road, London, N.W.10, by Supply Officers of all establishments at which W.R.N.S. ratings are entered, demands should be restricted to six months’ estimated requirements. Accounting Procedure 12. Existing forms and accounts should be utilized for W.R.N.S. clothing, any amendments necessary being made in manuscript. Form V.97 is to be used for receipts for kit supplied to W.R.N.S. ratings. 13. Articles of loan clothing, both W.R.N.S. pattern and the ordinary Service pattern, within the scale authorized, should be supplied and accounted for by the Supply Officer of the depot or base as in the case of loan clothing for other approved services. Personal loan issues should be accounted for in the nr anner indicated in paragraphs 14, 15 and 16 belpw. Clothing issued on Personal Loan— Method of Issue 14. When the following items of clothing are supplied to ratings as part of their equipment they are to be issued on personal loan :— Overalls, cooks’. Overalls, stewards’. Overall suits, one-piece and two-piece (naval pattern). Aprons, white. Caps, cooks’. Caps, chefs’. Caps, stewards’. Caps, peaked, safety—ratings working on or in the vicinity of moving machinery. Galley shoes. Boots, black leather') Crash helmets > Despatch riders’. Goggles J . Gloves, leather gauntlet—motor transport drivers’ and despatch riders’. Trousers, serge, for ratings dressed in Class “ B ” uniform. 15. Each rating will be held responsible for the proper care and custody of the articles in her possession, and charges for losses and damage due to neglect will be raised in the normal way. Each rating is to ensure the safe return of all articles issued on personal loan whei\ by reason of change of category, promotion or discharge she is no longer entitled to them. On transfer in the same category to another establishment a rating will take with her all articles issued to her on personal loan. 16. The articles are to be taken off charge in the Loan Clothing Account at the time the issue is made, and the issues entered on the rating’s Kitting-up Card (Form S.98B) and also on her Pay and Identity Book (Form S.43A). Supply Arrangements 17. Demands.— (i) At home.—All demands for W.R.N.S. uniform at home are to be forwarded in duplicate by Supply Officers to the Director, W.R.N.S., Admiralty. London, who will inform the officer demanding of the source from which supply \ (72155) A 4224 4

ReplyForward

Latest Threads