WRNS WW2 Service Record

Discussion in 'History' started by HMAFV, Sep 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Can anyone help with these abbreviations on my Great Aunts service record? I am writing some background info for her daughter.

[​IMG]

8 Jul 42 Wren (?) Std (O). I know she was an Officer's Steward, but does what is in the brackets mean something?

8 Jul 43 Wren H.G?.R. (might be H.a.R or H.Q.R?) first aniversary of service, what could this mean?

28 Aug 44 Does the $ sign mean anything. This was just before she went to France.

Any help gratefully received.

2. Welcome to Rum Ration, HMAFV!

There are some really good historians on Rum Ration who will no doubt offer very informative replies later.

I've glanced at this quickly; the one thing I can say is that I think that the letter after the word Wren on the first line is a "G".

3. Looks like a G indeed. And Id hazard a guess its H.G.R on the other line but I dont know. Handwritten old things are difficult as styles of handwritting have changed alot since then

found this website though.... http://www.wrens.org.uk/

4. I will ask the WW2 wren thats in our RNA,she still has her service docs,maybe some resemblance to those terms on hers

5. Could "Wren(G)" be Wren - General Duties? "Std.(O)" could be an extra comment to specify that she was an officer's steward.

6. Hi HMAFV,

Re the rank listing on the service record:

The top one is Officers Steward. The 2nd one is Quarters Rating (maintained/upkeep of the WRNS quarters).

Hope this helps.

SP.

Edited to add source information: Research Dept. IWM.