WRITING ON THE BACK OF A PHOTO...CLUES?????

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mrskpickles, Mar 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HI I HAVE A PHOTO OF MY GRANDAD, ROBIN JOHN MACCOORMACK/MCCORMICK, I HAVE POSED ONE SIMILAR ON BEFORE HOWEVER.....

This photo is one of my nan, she sent it to my grandad in 1945, in March, he was still away. It has some writing on the back which I have fooled myself into believing may be a clue to finding out about where he served etc etc...

this is what the writing is.....

972 XXII catalgo 69

Any bright ideas?????

The photo was taken on my nans birthday, how sweet is that!!

Thank you everyone

Kirstie

2. Sorry,but can't help you there, Kirstie

3. Sorry I have no Idea , :???:

4. Looks like it might just be the photographer's catalogue number.

5. Kirsty I have came across numbers like this before on old photos and found that mine came from 2 sources.

The first number was followed by the address of a photographers studio and turned out to be the snappers identification code for the negatives of the original photos. These were stored in case any other copies of the originals were ordered by family or friends etc.

The second time I tracked a similar set of numbers down, by pure luck, to a local regional newspapers photo archive and once again they were an device to catalogue by date and topic the subject matter of photos used by the paper.

Hope this is of some use.

Pol

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Kirstie: Perhaps if you can scan the picture and post it on this thead, then we might be able to help you further...