Writing a novel about the Falklands War...

BRP

I'm an author from the states and have started the research stage of an upcoming novel that I will be writing about the Falklands War. I am married to a Naval Officer (Lt. Cdr.), and my wife and I are flying to England in March to conduct on-location research for the novel and hopefully meet with and interview some veterans of the war (I already have one medic from the Galahad lined up).

I was wondering if anyone can assist me with either getting in touch with any veteran of the war (does not have to be naval) or help me pass on a message to any available veterans (if no one is comfortable giving me contact info directly.)

Just to legitimatize myself: other than being married to a Lt. Cdr., I have been a police officer since 2002 and have published four novels since 2007, with one of them nominated for a Hugo Award.

Thank you for your time and any assistance anyone might be able to help with.

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
I'm an author from the states and have started the research stage of an upcoming novel that I will be writing about the Falklands War. I am married to a Naval Officer (Lt. Cdr.), and my wife and I are flying to England in March to conduct on-location research for the novel and hopefully meet with and interview some veterans of the war (I already have one medic from the Galahad lined up).

I was wondering if anyone can assist me with either getting in touch with any veteran of the war (does not have to be naval) or help me pass on a message to any available veterans (if no one is comfortable giving me contact info directly.)

Just to legitimatize myself: other than being married to a Lt. Cdr., I have been a police officer since 2002 and have published four novels since 2007, with one of them nominated for a Hugo Award.

Thank you for your time and any assistance anyone might be able to help with.
http://www.sama82.org.uk/

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Sumo

War Hero
Point to note, not a war but a conflict.
Search Falkland on this site?

Last edited:

BRP

Yes, conflict is the optimal word. I did search Falkland on the site before I made this post. I'll make another pass though to make sure I didn't miss anything.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Being a Stoker He wouldn't normally drink beer, more likely to be Champagne Cocktails (with a cherry)

barny006

War Hero
If you contact 2nd H.M.S. Manchester association most of the first Commission were off H.M.S.Coventry ,I am sure that you will be put in contact with a Few of them

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm an author from the states and have started the research stage of an upcoming novel that I will be writing about the Falklands War. .....with one of them nominated for a Hugo Award.
SF and fantasy? Dragons and Exocets?

Sumo

War Hero
May be Mr Barlow the ex stoker, booty SF could help, he has lots of stories, some may even be real?

Wightsparker

War Hero
In every war or conflict, there has to be an enemy otherwise it would all be a waste of time and resources.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a523209.pdf

An interesting viewpoint, and worthy of study. But I would suggest that flaws undermine its overall credibility.

On pp 34-35 the author quotes Argentine and "unofficial British sources" as saying that on May 29 1982, HMS Invincible was attacked by Super Etendard and A-4 aircraft and that one Exocet and three 500-pound bombs "impacted on the Invincible."

He goes on to say: "Britain has never officially acknowledged any damage to the Invincible in this attack. British air defense Sea Dart missiles shot down two Argentine aircraft during the air attack, but according to Argentina, the mission was accomplished."

At least he did not claim that Invincible was sunk, and replaced by a secretly-built ship of the same design - a point of view that has repeatedly been claimed by some in Argentina.

Sumo

War Hero
Yes, and he was on Sheff. Don't think I'll bother him, as he is very 'tender' about the whole thing.
I was trying to give some Persec and not name his pre Mechs ship? We did basic, killicks & Mechs together, the only diff in our official number was the letter at the end? And obviously Dolphin benders course together

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Flatcapper83 When will hear about my entry date in writing? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Trainer Reasons In Writing The Quarterdeck 31
sgtpepperband Gentlemen and Tarpaulins: "The Journalist’s Guide To Writing About The Royal Navy" The Quarterdeck 3
ForcesJobShop New CV Writing Service The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
soleil Please Re-Post If Your Post Shows As Blank By Going To Edit Post & Re-Writing It Site Issues 20
Joint_Force_Harrier Writing on the back of Vans! Diamond Lil's 26
T Writing a book to raise money for Help for Heroes Charity 9
wet_blobby Writing a CV The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 25
Chicogiz Writing a book Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 26
Good_CO Start Writing - The RRPedia (wiki) needs your genius! Site Issues 14
Harry_off_the_Hermes Writing that changes the way you think about things Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 25
M WRITING ON THE BACK OF A PHOTO...CLUES????? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Mateytate CV Writing, any help?? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 6
janner Writing home to Mum. Diamond Lil's 14
MoD_RSS Response to the ACMD report on novel benzodiazepines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA awards £2.3m to develop novel sensor technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA seeks novel technology to counter homemade bombs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO for England announces 32 new cases of novel coronavirus: 4 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO for England announces 4 new cases of novel coronavirus: 2 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO for England announces 12 new cases of novel coronavirus: 01 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO for England announces a new case of novel coronavirus: 28 February 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO for England announces 2 new cases of novel coronavirus: 28 February 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO for England announces 2 new cases of novel coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA update on novel coronavirus (COVID-19) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO for England announces four new cases of novel coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO for England announces ninth case of novel coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PHE novel coronavirus diagnostic test rolled out across UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PHE reaches crucial step in fully sequencing novel coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Novel coronavirus and avian flu: advice for travel to China MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from the four UK Chief Medical Officers on Novel Coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO for England statement on the Wuhan novel coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Wuhan novel coronavirus and avian flu: advice for travel to China MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Novel Barriers collaboration day for 'Stopping it in its tracks' competition MoD News 0
S Debut novel - looking for readers! The Book Club 16
MoD_RSS Press release: Developing novel materials with synthetic biology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: synthetic biology for novel materials MoD News 1
soleil Royal Marines Drop In On St Pancras to Deliver Copies Of The New James Bond Novel The Corps 2
Passed-over_Loggie A Carrier and a Vulcan; a Novel Approach History 2
chieftiff To Kill a Mockingbird voted best novel of all time Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 7
royalbumbaclod Write a novel of some sort? The Corps 3
soleil The Times: "Captain Mike Booth, 70: Helicopter Pilot In The Falklands, Naval Attaché And Cabinetmaker" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back" History 31
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS Winners of the Falklands Regional Student Competition 2019/2020 announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Concurso para estudiantes universitarios para viajar a Falklands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK and Argentina agree new flight linking the Falklands and South America MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Falklands Fighter Ace Calls For Cost Controls Over UK’s £9.2bn F-35 Project" The Fleet Air Arm 45
SONAR-BENDER Falklands medal found RFA 14
MoD_RSS News story: Improvements to Mare Harbour jetty in Falklands complete MoD News 0
J HMS Active reunion 35th Anniversary of Falklands homecoming Social & Reunions 4