Writing a CV

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by wet_blobby, Feb 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Been years since I've done one of them CV's. I've been sent loads but all I've ever done is look at the pictures, check out the measurements and see if they have any relevant experiance.

Have I got to put absolutley everything down in one and risk death by boredom for the poor sod reading it or is it best just to "Biggit up" towards the job I'm going for?

I've googled and come up with hundreds of CV sites which is a bit self defeating because allot of them contradict each other, what I classed as humourous and would of taken further to the interview stage was shown as a no no, and visa versa.

Puzzled.

2. Keep it short.
    Keep it simple.
    Keep it truthful.
    Make sure there are no unexplained breaks in employment.
    Your input biased towards the job you are after should be in the handwritten introduction letter.
    I've had to read through hundreds of the things in the past and honestly binned any more than a page long.
    I hope this help.

3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Blobbs,
    I've pm'd you, have put some time and effort into this recently (with a little help from my friends :thumright: ) more than willing to pass on my experiences.

4. wet_blobby

Cheers Chieffy. :thumright:

5. very shallow if you bin anything more than a page long ,blobby probably has a long employment history,so two pages at the least,if you bin CVs after one page, if the empleyer cant be bothered to read a presentation of a persons skills,not worth working for them really im sure blobbys skills are super

Please feel free to critisize my comment

im not a Norman

6. wet_blobby

Aw, cheers Brend. Thanks for that. I'm just abit unsure about blowing me trumpet on things like military qualifications, First aid...ad nausea...quals, city and guilds given whilst serving etc.

7. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

There's some interesting points here: Business Balls but also some complete guff, I think the most difficult thing to do is convert to commercial business language ie Cpl/ LH leadership course becomes....... intermediate management training, supervisory management training or similar etc. It's like learning a new language however inevitably ex-servicemen have the skills employers are looking for, you just need to point it out to them because they aren't going to learn military speak!!!

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Brendan, it's the employer who holds all the cards, if he's inundated with CVs he is going to skim and bin those that don't grab his attention. He has no duty of care to the supplicants, he only wants to pick maybe three people to interview (unless he's recruiting a whole raft of people). The rest are going to be disappointed anyway. The CV's job is not so much to get the job as to get the interview.

Read between the lines of the job advert to see if you can suss out what is being looked for.

Quals like C&G should certainly be listed. Service achievements have to be expressed in a way that a civilian can understand. Human Resources departments have NO understanding of Service people or Service life; it helps if you can find out whether the applciations are going to be filtered by HR or are going straight to Line Mgt. Different companies work different ways on this depending on how highly centralised they are.

In the end, as sooften in life, it's about role-playing the other guy to figure out what he is after; not I want to say this, I want to say that.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

10. sgtpepperband

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I didn't realise that Blobby had a full set, thought it was just a mustache

12. wet_blobby

Janner, that slim dude aint me...

I'm going to be firing off my CV to all employers who may need people like me, regardless if there advertising or not. I'm on a hope and a prayer, once I have the template...(cheers Chieffy) it can then be modified for job adverts.

I'm a firm believer in the school of thought that says what you want is out there, go find it. You may well need stepping stones and pause points, but, you will get there. Life is not a rehersal.

13. I've been told by all the careers people to make sure you put down every qualification that you have, the more the better but keep the wordy stuff down to a minimum to avoid their boredom, they'll get to know you at the interview ;)

14. wet_blobby

I have a shitload of C n G stuff, as in fcuking loads.

I haven't got a clue what its for, as in each certificate. I think I was lucky...enough to be on the first Sigs Course through CTCRM when someone in the government said....yep, give the lads civvy quals as well...

I passed that course with a good mark. I'd been a Grav for 5 years so was pretty switched on to begin with. Anyways, 14 week course passed with distinction, trp stripey comes up to me and says, "I'd like you to sit these exams so you can get civvy quals for what you've done". I'm like, "thanks, but no thanks, just done me schoolie stuff can I go back to a unit please?"

I was pestered relentlessly to sit the exams, so I said Yes. "Great, you've just passed them all" was the reply.(never sat them)

So, sh1tloads of C+G certificates but I aint got a clue what there for...well ok..sigs...but, what bit? I must have about 20.

15. You could always google them or phone up the exam board and ask them what they would equate to in civvy qualifications, that could help a bit.

If not just write them down and when asked about them take them to the interview with you and explain how you got them :thumright:

16. I did see on a certain tv series a few years ago a cv/ job application in one written by the main character is said.

"Gizajob" and had a telephone number.

17. sgtpepperband

Well I wouldn't argue with him... 8O

[​IMG]

18. That's him in one.

I always wondered what, if any, reply you would get back if you did send that to someone.

19. Some feedback for you WB - I run my own company and I receive CVs across my desk on numerous occasions.

My view is this (tuppence worth anyway) in that the way I constructed my CV was:

Name and address at the top with contact details, mobile, landline, email.
    Summary of Professional Experience (Civilian) 6 lines max.
    No more than 2 pages of detail backing up the summary.
    One line at the end - Royal Navy/Marine start date end date.
    Professional Qualifications
    Personal Details: Nationality, DOB, Marital Status

As ex mob, I would ask more in-depth questions re your military time if you got to the interview stage. Civilians generally can't be arsed these days about ex-military, so don't waste your time writing about it. Unless of course, you are going for a government/military style employment job in which case you tailor it to your target employer. In other words, you may need two CVs.

If I get past the summary, then I am interested, if not it gets binned.

A photo also should be included. If you look like the Yorkie Ripper or George Bush, you are toast.

If you are thinking of escaping the UK then you might want to put down any language skills you may have - swearing in cantonese or putongwah might get you somewhere!

Hope this helps.

China.

20. And if you looked like your avatar then a picture as well - jobs yours.