Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writing a book to raise money for Help for Heroes

Typo

I'm putting together a book of first-hand accounts about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan from 1990 to the present. Proceeds are going to the charity Help for Heroes. I know that serving men and women might have problems with the MoD regarding submitting material, but if anyone is just about to leave the service or who knows ex-service personnel who might be interested in sharing their experiences, I would like to hear from them.

Please visit www.battlefieldvoices.co.uk

for further info on the book.

TimeToJoinUp

War Hero
From the website:

When it is published, for every copy sold monies will be contributed towards the charity "Help for Heroes".

There's a bit of a difference between "writing a book for a charity" and "contributing money (unspecified amount) from a books sales to charity". The later is a commercial enterprise that gives some of the profits to charity, the former is charity.

If all the profits (after the publishing house wet their fingers) are going to help the heroes then you should probably make that a little bit clearer on your website. If a proportion of the profits are going to help the heroes you should probably make that clearer here.

If it's all charity - good luck with your endeavour!

dolphin_points

Midshipman
The quote on your website

'When it is published, for every copy sold monies will be contributed towards the charity "Help for Heroes".

Can you be more specific about 'monies'

Typo

Good point about monies.
Here is a breakdown of the costs:
The book will retail at £9.95, but for the sake of simplicity let's say £10.00

For ever copy sold the retailer (such as WH Smith) will take 50% of the cover price = £5.00
The distributors' slice (getting it into retail outlets etc) will take 10% of the cover price = £1.00
Printing costs will account for approx £2.50 per copy (as the book will contain colour photographs and the first print run will be fairly low)
The Publisher's costs equate to approx 10% = £1.00 per copy.

That leaves 50p, to be split evenly between me and Help for Heroes. If the book is subsequently reprinted the print and Publisher's costs will be far lower, and thus the charity will receive more.

4to8

MIA
Fcuk that , when I get the effing H4H site to work I can donate without enriching WHS.Why not publish the book on line and let the fund get all the money?

4to8

MIA
TimeToJoinUp said:
It's because he won't make any money for himself that way.

Well fcuk that . I hereby solemnly promise that if anyone wants to send me the dits that i will put them together into a PDF that anyone can download and print and I will donate £20 to H4H for the privilege of doing so. What do you all say?

4to8

MIA
PS I don't mean that everyone should pay 20 escudos,any few shekels will do.As publisher I have to pay more :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chicogiz Writing a book Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 26
BRP Writing a novel about the Falklands War... History 30
Flatcapper83 When will hear about my entry date in writing? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Trainer Reasons In Writing The Quarterdeck 31
sgtpepperband Gentlemen and Tarpaulins: "The Journalist’s Guide To Writing About The Royal Navy" The Quarterdeck 3
ForcesJobShop New CV Writing Service The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
soleil Please Re-Post If Your Post Shows As Blank By Going To Edit Post & Re-Writing It Site Issues 20
Joint_Force_Harrier Writing on the back of Vans! Diamond Lil's 26
wet_blobby Writing a CV The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 25
Good_CO Start Writing - The RRPedia (wiki) needs your genius! Site Issues 14
Harry_off_the_Hermes Writing that changes the way you think about things Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 25
M WRITING ON THE BACK OF A PHOTO...CLUES????? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Mateytate CV Writing, any help?? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 6
janner Writing home to Mum. Diamond Lil's 14
Z Discharge book RFA 2
MoD_RSS Online duplicate log book service launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance to parents and guardians: when you should book a coronavirus test for your child MoD News 0
D Resettlement Help - New Book The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 2
MoD_RSS DVLA launches online service to change address on vehicle log book (V5C) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DAO 01/20 The Orange Book MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Harry Potter Book Night in Asuncion fills fans with magic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Read your child a book this Christmas, says Children’s Minister MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rogue book publishers slammed shut by the courts MoD News 0
Waspie New Book for Woo's 'The Royal Navy Wasp' The Book Club 1
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp - Feb 19 Competitions 6
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp - The King's War Competitions 14
Ageing_Gracefully Pot Luck Book Comp November 2018 Competitions 32
MoD_RSS Press release: Court throws book at printers who failed to complete contracts MoD News 0
Waspie The Westland Wasp (Book) The Fleet Air Arm 3
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp: Forget My Name Competitions 30
Wreckmasterjay New book - Collision in the Night: The Sinking of HMS Duchess The Book Club 0
Ageing_Gracefully Book competition - Pot Luck August 2018 Competitions 13
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp: June 2018 Competitions 27
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Real-Life Comic Book Heroes Mark Submarine Service's Birthday At Faslane Dinner" Submariners 0
higthepig 2018 Upgrade - Endeavour Book Reviews Site Issues 2
M Trying to book the PJFT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp : Pot Luck January 2018 Competitions 32
Ageing_Gracefully Final Book Comp of 2017 - WORD OF WAR Competitions 23
L Seamanship Workplace Training Task Book UPO/Careers Office 1
D Name that book? The Book Club 4
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition : Trouble at Zero Hour Competitions 25
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp - Op RELENTLESS Competitions 25
Ageing_Gracefully Pot Luck Book Comp - May 2017 Competitions 12
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition - Crime Fiction TV Characters Competitions 32
Ageing_Gracefully April Pot Luck book competition Competitions 14
Ageing_Gracefully Book Competition - Airborne & Finisterre Competitions 24
Ageing_Gracefully Pot Luck Book Comp - Mil History Competitions 22
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp 2 Nov 16 Competitions 28
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp: The Salt Marsh Competitions 12
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp: The Harrowing Competitions 10