Writer (Submariner)

Hi all,

Haven't seen a thread directly about this role in the Submarine branch so I thought I'd start one.

I am about to apply for the Royal Navy and I really like the look of the Writer Submariner role. I hear though writers do not spend much time at sea? Would this be the case for a Writer as part of the Submarine branch or is that just for the surface fleet?

Also does anyone know if there is a long waiting list for this role at the moment?

Many thanks in advance, any response will be greatly appreciated.

Sumo

War Hero
Once you have been supplied with you waterproof pen you can go to sea
Submariners Do not use pens we use pencils, some think so we could rub out the evidence, not so we all honest, it was to stop it running when covered in water, chilled water salt water or diesel etc. We had one trainee officer who complained to the Jimmy that when he was chilled water drenched on the long ladder all his note ran, Jimmy said you are training to be a submariner, use pencil and start again?

Justthetip

Badgeman
Hi all,

Haven't seen a thread directly about this role in the Submarine branch so I thought I'd start one.

I am about to apply for the Royal Navy and I really like the look of the Writer Submariner role. I hear though writers do not spend much time at sea? Would this be the case for a Writer as part of the Submarine branch or is that just for the surface fleet?

Also does anyone know if there is a long waiting list for this role at the moment?

Many thanks in advance, any response will be greatly appreciated.
Hi buddy I just did my interview this morning all good for writer. I was then rung up by the PO to say the waiting list is four months and basically get my skates on ! Maybe see you on board one day !

Topstop

War Hero
When you get a sea draft you will be "Black Watch" lots of patrol reports to type up. Good excuse for avoiding work and scrubbing out, locking your self in the office and typing patrol reports ;)

Justthetip

Badgeman
When you get a sea draft you will be "Black Watch" lots of patrol reports to type up. Good excuse for avoiding work and scrubbing out, locking your self in the office and typing patrol reports ;)
When being the word ! scrubbing out? They have an office? Typing? What is going on here !! Afco said nothing of that ! What is scrubbing out?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
When being the word ! scrubbing out? They have an office? Typing? What is going on here !! Afco said nothing of that ! What is scrubbing out?
Scrubbing out = bucket of water and a scotchbrite, scrub the decks etc
Office = broom cupboard with a PC in it (and a Cox'n)
Typing = see above

And when your not doing that your planesman :)

Sumo

War Hero
Scrubbing out = bucket of water and a scotchbrite, scrub the decks etc
Office = broom cupboard with a PC in it (and a Cox'n)
Typing = see above

And when your not doing that your planesman :)
Wrecks planesman first priority, then the day job, cannot see him calling for a relief on the planes as he has a letter to right? Also he could be first aid party for off watch action, and action planes on watch, if he is any good as a driver? Then he can do writing and scrubbing out? Submariners have many roles beyond day job.

mikh

MIA
Having a preference for not smelling, I was never a sundodger, but an was given a tour of a boat be a fellow scribes (S boat if memory serves), the 'ships office' as he called it was a little cubby, you backed in, sat down the swung your legs in under the 'desk' and for a little bit of privacy you had a curtain as a door - and the curtain was only there so he could have a little bit of light when he was working on his day job. It made the ships offices of the Battleaxe and Glasgow look positively Luxurious

Sumo

War Hero
Quite right but even so up and down I will be shit I thought the job was pay bit of welfare and frankly **** all !
We had a very very shite planesman, what you doing 50feet of depth, coming back from 100feet, his next boat he was action planes, we always had action when he was driving?

Justthetip

Badgeman
I was told by afco last week she used to be writer u spend ur day working as the captains pa and meeting crew dealing pay and welfare ... Sound like that was utter sh!te and now I'm screwed ?

Sumo

War Hero
I was told by afco last week she used to be writer u spend ur day working as the captains pa and meeting crew dealing pay and welfare ... Sound like that was utter sh!te and now I'm screwed ?
You said she, was she a submariner?

fishhead

War Hero
Not complete shoit but not true of a submarine writer as they have additional duties.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Writer submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
N Phase 2 for a Logistics Writer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S All Arms Commando Course, Writer Branch Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
W Logistician (Writer) wait time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M Rank of Writer 3rd Class (1914-18) History 7
R Women submariners? Writer? Joining the Royal Navy 9
J Joining as a writer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
K Writer phase 2 training Joining the Royal Navy 0
Ahoy89 Writer or CIS? Decisions! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
Ahoy89 'Approx' waiting times? Writer/CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
L Changes to GYH(T) for single personnel - Writer help needed UPO 29
B Writer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTP) Writer - Wiltshire The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
M Writer Waiting Time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Royal Navy Writer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 56
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Bid Writer - FRES Work Package The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
deano_navy Anyone else joining as a Writer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
E Anyone a Personnel Logistician ? (Logi , Writer ?) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
P RN Pscyhometric Examination - 2 points short to be a Writer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
R Careers Advice on Writer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
B What uniforms would I get as a writer? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
C Weapons engineer Officer application (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: RNRMC - Happy 100th Birthday Harry Melling - Britain's Oldest WW2 Submariner Submariners 2
H Basic training rent, submariner rent in faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil LadBible: "Former Navy Submariner Shares Coping Strategies For Self-Isolation And Social Distancing" Submariners 3
L Advice on whether or not to join as a submariner Joining the Royal Navy 14
soleil NWE Mail: "Submariner Memorial Appeal - Competition To Celebrate The RN To Be Launched By BAE In Barrow" Submariners 2
soleil i News: "'You’re Only Ever 15 minutes Away From Launching A Missile': What It Was Like To Be A Cold War Submariner" Submariners 13
soleil FB: RN Recruitment - An Insight Into The Medical Assistant (Submariner) Role Submariners 0
soleil Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months" Submariners 17
J Weapons Engineering Officer (submariner) Joining the Royal Navy 2
I MA - GS OR Submariner ?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
B Latest Warfare Officer (Submariner) Pipeline Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Advice on being a submariner (aiming for bombers) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
S NSMBOS / EMPLOYABILITY Submariner Health & Fitness 2
C Submariner Wet and Dry Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
R Submariner medical assistant training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P Submariner time at sea Submariners 8
Ninja_Stoker ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS - 2018 UPDATE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
P Submariner Nuclear Retention Pay Submariners 16
G warfare submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
soleil Telegraph: "Commander Ken Frewer, Submariner – Obituary" Submariners 1
S Submariner, Sonar Joining the Royal Navy 37
P What happens when a submariner asks the internet to pay for his wedding? Diamond Lil's 10
A Help Tracing a Submariner Submariners 8
Z Engineering Technician (ME)- Submariner Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T UGAS Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme - Marine/Weapons Engineer Submariner (MESM/WESM) Joining the Royal Navy 74
SA-Sharky Submariner vs Surface for wife Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K life as a submariner Submariners 3