Wrens Uniform

middle_watch

Midshipman
Think I might have a solution: from much perving ... er... research, the genuine skirt has two pleats, found a civilian one that might do, problem is colour, they offer Navy Blue or Black, I swear uniforms were black but officially were Navy Blue, quandry....

Attachments

• gks-nvy_1.jpg
    gks-nvy_1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 4

slim

War Hero
Think I might have a solution: from much perving ... er... research, the genuine skirt has two pleats, found a civilian one that might do, problem is colour, they offer Navy Blue or Black, I swear uniforms were black but officially were Navy Blue, quandry....
I think you will find that the skirt with pleats was for Wren hoccifers.
Wrens uniform skirt did not have pleats.
On being rated Petty Officer Wren from leading Wren the uniform black buttons were changed to gold buttons, and instead of wearing a flat cap a tricorn hat was issued.
WRENS often referred to being rated PO as "Getting their buttons"
This expression was only used by RN ratings when being rated CPO from PO.
How do I know this?
My wife was a POWren Weapons Analyst.
Yes she heard "You can analyse my weapon" fairly frequently.

middle_watch

Midshipman
Cool, thank you, the shift from blue to gold is a bit vague as far as I can tell, I remember my friends wife had a gold badge in 88, she poked me in the face with it while demanding to know if he was out shagging her best friend at the Drake Social (he was) But the book author, I am not allowed to name her, says she served on a Type 22 in WRENs rig but most of it was stolen from the drying room and she served in borrowed and begged men's uniform. But she managed to keep two skirts by hand washing them and drying them on the iron, she is insistent any picture depicting her reflects that. She mentioned the pleats but it was a while ago, maybe she got that wrong.

She also mentioned how bloody awful male number 8 trousers looked on her, but doing magazine rounds in a skirt was an invitation for the entire ship's company to come look.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
She also mentioned how bloody awful male number 8 trousers looked on her,
Without wishing to be sexist here..... there were a fair number of Wrens that looked pretty grim in their 8 trousers! There were also some very pert versions about!

And yes, there were some lads who over-filled their 8s too.

slim

War Hero
RN uniform is VERY dark blue. Put it side by side with proper black, as in Suzzies, and you can see a difference.
I reckon we should cut to the chase and he just puts up a women in minimum Wrens uniform.
No Knickers, Black suzzies and Black tights.
Nobody is going to notice anything else anyway :)

Tex

Lantern Swinger
1632136474243.png
WRNS ratings skirts had no pleats, WRNS Officers tailor made skirts did have two pleats but rationing and shortage of material WW2 and after often meant they too had pleatless skirts.

middle_watch

Midshipman
You got me, spoke to an ex WREN and she confirms pleats were for officers, okay, will be easy enough to modify the digital skirt and there are plenty of real Navy Blue plain midi skirts out there

Attachments

• Darling Andrew.jpg
    Darling Andrew.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11

Latest Threads