Wreck of HMS Myngs found

Discussion in 'History' started by Timmo, Sep 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

For those of you who have read Diver Magazine you will have noticed that there's a news article about the discovery of new wrecks in the Red Sea and one of them was a WWII ex British Destroyer called HMS Myngs that was renamed El Qaher when it was transferred to the Egyptian Navy.

I was very lucky to have been invited on this expedition and I've managed to take some great video.

Here it is and I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.divetheworld.com/Diving/Shipwrecks/HMSMyngsElQaher/index.htm

Steve

2. steve,
    That was a great video, and your choice of music suited it too. She doesn't look to be too deep judging by the amount of light?
    Thanks for posting that. :thumright:

3. Awesome,who's the music by?

4. sounds like Clannard- but probably wrong!!

5. She's in 22 meters to the bottom. Unfortunately when we got back to the surface an Egyptian Navy gunboat was tied to the dive boat. Oooops. She's near an Egyptian secret base. I said "What secret base?". They said "That one" and pointed to a row of shacks with a whip arial stuck out of it. "Not so f***ing secret now is it" I said. They didn't like my camera but could see the funny side of it. I did have a moment of "I wish I could shut up sometimes" when I said it. LOL I was obviously down the NAAFI when they did the "Keeping your gob shut module at Ganges".

Steve

6. It's by Clannad and called Trail of Tears. I thought it was very apt for a warship. All her guns were pointing in the same direction and obviously went down fighting judging by the spent ammo lying around. Good for her and her crew.

Steve

7. Thanks Timmo, I'm no diver but that was one knock out video. Very interesting to see the twin Bofer.

8. It's great that it's pretty well intact. A fantastic dive and the visibility was fantastic as you can see. I've been asked to go back for a month on another wreck hunting trip to see what else I can find. Hmmmmmm. The Chief never told me at Vernon when I was doing my diver training I may be doing this someday. Excellent fun.

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Presumably there are rounds quietly deteriorating in some of those gun barrels and in RU lockers etc ????????? . ... Dive with care.

10. On the main guns on the stern there was a shell still in the breech and the bofors guns still had ammo on them and the seabed around it was littered with live shells too. I'm always careful with spent ammo but funnily enough, the RU ammo lockers were empty.

Must have been quite a fight.

11. Thanks mate. I'm really working hard on the video side of my work as there's a lot of work out there for good video men underwater. It's better than being on the rigs and it can, if you try hard enough and are good enough, pay better. (insert manic cackle here(grin))

Timmo

12. Well it's now on Amazon as a production company put together a DVD of the whole project. The music had to be changed and the video re edited as Sony were playing the fool on prices and royalties so it was redone but still looks good.

Steve

Egyptian Red Sea -Volume One