Wounded Royal Marine refused special housing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by whitemouse, Jan 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Royal Marine who has had both legs amputated, has been refused permission to live in a specially adapted house to be built on his fathers land.
    Apparently, he can not show any 'exceptional' reason for the application, and so the council in Pevensey, East Sussex, refused on a vote of 6 to 5.

So much for the Government's statement of showing honour and respect to members , current and past, of the Armed Forces.

Perhaps one or two of the gravy train riding pollies will try to get some respect back by hounding these council cretins - but I won't be holding my breath.

:evil:

apols, but I can't get the link to load, but it is in the Wail on line at this moment.

2. Unfortunately you hear of this all the time.

But just wait until a local councilor want a swing bridge repaired so that he may get his yacht under it.

It simply shows servicemen and women of this once great nation are not even second class citizens.

Give your life, limbs and time and get sod all from any government in return. Makes you want to emigrate.

3. I totally agree with the sentiment but dont forget this is the Daily Wail reporting on this.

4. I had to laugh at the remark from the supporting councillor: "he is welcome to come round to mine for a cup of tea and a chat any time."
    Still not good, but I suspect there is more information than has been given here.

5. Sometimes I get so angry about these stories – not necessarily because of the story but because I know absolutely nothing will get done about. I think the little Hitler’s that sit behind desks and make these decisions should really take a step back and evaluate themselves!

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Before we get on the outrage bus it's probably worth finding out the whole story, I believe the people involved have tried and failed getting planning permission on this land before.

It is the daily wail.

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

The supporting councillor in question being a double amputee herself, so well aware of the problems that will be faced.

8. He should buy a caravan and fill the plot with discarded guttering and conifers and make a claim to the land on the grounds of racial discrimination if refused or seek help from

http://www.gypsy-traveller.org/planning

9. Tha Labour Government in action. Everyone is so constrained by rules that common sense cannot function. Mainly because common sense cannot be legislated for, therefore it is bad.

Those injured in the line of duty deserve respect: that is not contested. Should all rules be waived for them - maybe, maybe not. Should they pay VAT, income tax, council tax - where do you draw the line?

This sounds like an application resisted on planning restraints. NuLabour wants to build lots more new houses. This is an example with no local objection, as against many "Government backed" expansion plans.

Let Mne Townsend have his house.

10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I might be wrong here but, I thought Nu Liebor had changed the rules on housing applications giving themselves the last say. So if they have done this then the Govt. has the ability to overturn the councils decision.

11. I watched the BBC News on this topic yesterday and they showed a metal barn that sits behind and above where Mne Townsend's grandfather wants to build him a bungalow, with a nice outlook onto our green and pleasant land - looks idyllic.

The council spokesman interviewed quoted the book of planning obfuscation and small minded, backwoods-mentality jobsworthery, insisting that noone should be allowed to build on land not earmarked for development. Tosh, this man owns the land and it is overlooked by nobody.

This kid is 19, has to come to terms with a complete life-change because we sent him somewhere to step on a mine and whose grandad wants to make his life easier. Well, good for his grandad, shame on the council and if, as reported, the MOD refused Mne Townsend permission to speak to the Beeb about the bungalow, shame on those in Whitehall who made this ludicrous decision.

12. This seems to be a LOCAL arrangement, and nothing to do with The Government.

I am convinced that if the family contact their MP then this LOCAL ruling will be over turned...

However I do believe in Father Christmas, Fairy's at the bottom of the garden and in JUSTICE for all Serviceman :evil: :evil: :evil:

You could always request a reason for their decision under the Freedom of information act.... I did, very polity of course 8O 8O

http://www.pevenseyparishcouncil.gov.uk/contact_us.php

13. Stuff the council!why do we have MP's?bypass the local Taliban and go straight to the MP.
    If they want to be elected[and they all do]they will get it overturned,end of, I reckon.

14. Good to see that it has been made clear to the uninformed that it was a local Tory council decision.

Having said that I am confident that common sense or pressure on the scroats will prevail.

15. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

A local MP typically has considerable influence with their local council(s) - but definitely not the power to overturn their decisions. Unlike individual MPs, councils have statutory duties.

16. Does it matter whether the Council was Tory, Labour or Monster raving Loony? The decision was just insensitive, ill-informed and WRONG at so many levels!

17. Well I think it matters a great deal when early in this thread the finger of blame was erroneously pointed at the 'Labour Government', attention to detail and all that.

18. we don't often agree but I have to this time..

New labour and central government have NOTHING to do with this issue