Wouldn’t you feel safer with a gun?

Jarhead

War Hero
Average police response in the US is 30 minutes, whereas for more violent crimes its like 5 minutes. all someone needs to change your life (or end it) forever is 5 seconds. a gun can change that.

All those people who favor gun control fail to realize that government can't be everything to everyone and can't be everywhere.

Its easy to point out how the system is failing. I know i'm doing my part in everyway (including breaking up a domestic violence assault going on upstairs where i live); what are YOU doing? If you're not doing anything, stop posting about it, because you don't deserve to bitch.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Jarhead said:
...I know i'm doing my part in everyway (including breaking up a domestic violence assault going on upstairs where i live)...

If you don't get involved in the situation, you feel guilty for not doing enough, but guarantee your own safety. If you do get involved and succeed in stopping it, you're classed as a hero. If the situation spirals out of control and you become injured - or worse, die - then you're just another statistic.

Damned if you do; damned if you don't...

:roll:

Jarhead said:
i know for the un-disciplined, gun ownership is a great temptation, which, i am convinced, leads to the majority of all murders here in the US.

However, discipline is something learned at your daddy's knee, under the Drill Instructor's tutelage, etc. and those people who have that discipline are the ones you never hear about and their owning a firearm until some ass tries to rob the guy and gets a lead injection.

But the option to never have that discipline and privelege? Thats just fascism there, pure and simple.

Whilst I agree there are many who are quite capable of responsible gun ownership in all countries, the real problem is how do you devise appropriate tests which weed out the unsuitable that are practical and reasonable. Service in the armed forces is not enough, I know quite a few who have served whom I would not trust with a gun, even in uniform and on duty and sober. That does not however mean they were not good at what the the Queen paid them to do, in some cases they were excellent.

Now of course you can as they seem to do in the US say the whole thing is really too difficult and let any one who is not actually in jail buy a gun, or you can err the other way as we do and try to make it almost impossible.

Until they can scan your brain and say this one is safe to own a gun we are going to have very different regimes from country to country with the attendant suggestions that one regime or the other is foolish.

AfterSSE said:
Greenie said:
The Uk is an island and has a lot of shoreline aswell as harbours .

Longest Coastline
Canada's coastline is the world's longest at 243,792 km or 151,485 miles (including the coastline of the country's 52,455 islands.)

Your point? Most of the illegal weapons that enter Canada are thanks to our neighbour to the South, you know that porous border they are always crying about, because our weed somehow always finds itself going to California via Vancouver, yet their guns keep coming North.

Where there is a need, there will always be a supply...simple economics... :thumright:

Our kid lives in Sarnia and that pgm whewre[gaelic] they interviewed the local cop about crime and he stated last crime was a tourist from over the border shooting another tourist from over the border.

Only prob with carrying a gun is are we allowed to use it.

Bring back the trusty blade or pistols at dawn.

I love that movie "The Seven Samurai's" the Samurai's walking along the street sword over the shoulder ready for any takers.

Anyone can fire a gun. Even a matelot

The Samurai carried mostly two swords sometimes three a Katana and a Wakizashi. They had a license to dismember anybody who offended them.

The Katana was fave and they where tested on corpses or condemned prisoners. A three in one would mean it went through three bodies in one movement. Another ideal way to reduce the prison population???

War Hero
Jarhead said:
i know for the un-disciplined, gun ownership is a great temptation....

I see this as the key issue in a practical sense. Until such time as society is mature enough to trust virtually everyone with personal firearms then the debate is moot.

I think the problem with any licensing system required would be assessing the suitability of people in a stress situation. Almost everyone who posts here has some familiarity with small arms, some have experience limited to standard ranges, others have used close quarters and FIBUA facilities and recognise how easily mistakes, or poor judgement can lead to the death or injury of un-involved parties.

Retaining the level of judgement required to safely use a firearm in self defence in an area where others are present is quite a commitment, and I'd suggest that it's unlikely that all those who would end up carrying would maintain that commitment.

AfterSSE

War Hero
Jarhead said:
what are YOU doing? If you're not doing anything, stop posting about it, because you don't deserve to bitch.

You just don't like dissenting opinions do you Jarhead, unless you haven't noticed it's a public forum so take your dictatorial attitude somewhere else, I am doing something about it, I vote for whoever is strong against criminals and who is for gun control and for those that support our Police in trying to get these weapons off the street.

Speaking about domestic violence, that is actually the one scenario the police hate to go to, because it is usually a heated and emotional moment, as well as very unsafe (weapons in the house that the cops are unaware of). :afro:

Jarhead

War Hero
AfterSSE said:
Jarhead said:
what are YOU doing? If you're not doing anything, stop posting about it, because you don't deserve to bitch.

You just don't like dissenting opinions do you Jarhead, unless you haven't noticed it's a public forum so take your dictatorial attitude somewhere else, I am doing something about it, I vote for whoever is strong against criminals and who is for gun control and for those that support our Police in trying to get these weapons off the street.

Speaking about domestic violence, that is actually the one scenario the police hate to go to, because it is usually a heated and emotional moment, as well as very unsafe (weapons in the house that the cops are unaware of). :afro:

ah, i wasn't talking about voting; what are YOU doing PERSONALLY to reverse the tide of disrespect, etc happening now?

Topstop

War Hero
Reading in the Darwin Awards(awards to those remove them selves from the gene pool to improve mankind)
A guy in Arizona chose the wrong shop to commit armed robbery(Gun shop). The body had bullets from 6 different firearms and they could not decide which one killed him . :dwarf:

AfterSSE

War Hero
Jarhead said:
AfterSSE said:
Jarhead said:

ah, i wasn't talking about voting; what are YOU doing PERSONALLY to reverse the tide of disrespect, etc happening now?

I raised two children to respect others, hopefully I will have a positive impact on my grandkids, that's just about all a responsible adult can do now days unless you mean like holding a gun to someone else's head and enforcing them to be respectful..if your expecting each and every individual to step up and "personally" involve themselves to right these wrongs you are expecting the impossible, in the "real world" this requires a massive effort by all together, as in team work to get the ship back on an even keel.

It's about how you would want to be treated is how you treat others, I do go out of my way to treat others with respect, it's only plain common sense courtesy, I think the point your missing is the fact that more and more kids today have access to guns then they did when I or you were their age, how is this possible, who allowed them to have this access to begin with..."the parents". The kids involved in the Columbine shooting were able right under their parents noses, to obtain weapons, where was their Father demanding to know why they had this stuff, you can't tell me they were blind to it....they just didn't care what their kid was up to, not their problem...right...this is what I am on about, when I am talking about disrespect, the kids in schools today have no idea about accountability and or responsibility, so this is the seed that goes with them until they are "adults" not necessarily mature mind you, but voila they now can legally get a gun...
elektro.gif

Jarhead

War Hero
Ok so finally we're on the same page.

You're absolutely right, the parents in the Columbine case should have known what their kids were doing. However, as it has been shown, the parents (for all i can see) used their kids as status symbols, not a responsibility to be discharged. They probably (have been disclosed to be blind to what their kids were doing) didn't care about their kids at all, much less what they were doing.

If people like us don't train the next generation with discipline and affection, the world will continue the downhill spiral.

As far as guns go, its one of those things: people see the usage of guns on tv or movies and think "cool. i can use one of those and get what i want". However, you and i both know that guns are a huge responsibility. But the alternative to universal gun control, where only the police, military and criminals have guns, is requiring everyone to have one. The US has tried a hybrid, which is more effective than gun control (until something better comes along). By more effective, i mean offers the maximum safety while offering the most freedom involve (its a delicate balancing act).

Legally getting a gun? **** that, i can go in my apt. complex and buy an untraceable Glock 17 for $50.00 from some guy, i know, cause he's asked me if i wanted to buy.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
On the subject of guns the Police have today removed two dead beats from the gene pool. Listen to the do gooders squeal now. Well done Plod!!!

Latest Threads