Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wouldn’t you feel safer with a gun?

War Hero
Jarhead said:
i know for the un-disciplined, gun ownership is a great temptation....

I see this as the key issue in a practical sense. Until such time as society is mature enough to trust virtually everyone with personal firearms then the debate is moot.

I think the problem with any licensing system required would be assessing the suitability of people in a stress situation. Almost everyone who posts here has some familiarity with small arms, some have experience limited to standard ranges, others have used close quarters and FIBUA facilities and recognise how easily mistakes, or poor judgement can lead to the death or injury of un-involved parties.

Retaining the level of judgement required to safely use a firearm in self defence in an area where others are present is quite a commitment, and I'd suggest that it's unlikely that all those who would end up carrying would maintain that commitment.

AfterSSE

War Hero
Jarhead said:
what are YOU doing? If you're not doing anything, stop posting about it, because you don't deserve to bitch.

You just don't like dissenting opinions do you Jarhead, unless you haven't noticed it's a public forum so take your dictatorial attitude somewhere else, I am doing something about it, I vote for whoever is strong against criminals and who is for gun control and for those that support our Police in trying to get these weapons off the street.

Speaking about domestic violence, that is actually the one scenario the police hate to go to, because it is usually a heated and emotional moment, as well as very unsafe (weapons in the house that the cops are unaware of). :afro:

Jarhead

War Hero
AfterSSE said:
Jarhead said:
what are YOU doing? If you're not doing anything, stop posting about it, because you don't deserve to bitch.

You just don't like dissenting opinions do you Jarhead, unless you haven't noticed it's a public forum so take your dictatorial attitude somewhere else, I am doing something about it, I vote for whoever is strong against criminals and who is for gun control and for those that support our Police in trying to get these weapons off the street.

Speaking about domestic violence, that is actually the one scenario the police hate to go to, because it is usually a heated and emotional moment, as well as very unsafe (weapons in the house that the cops are unaware of). :afro:

ah, i wasn't talking about voting; what are YOU doing PERSONALLY to reverse the tide of disrespect, etc happening now?

Topstop

War Hero
Reading in the Darwin Awards(awards to those remove them selves from the gene pool to improve mankind)
A guy in Arizona chose the wrong shop to commit armed robbery(Gun shop). The body had bullets from 6 different firearms and they could not decide which one killed him . :dwarf:

AfterSSE

War Hero
Jarhead said:
AfterSSE said:
Jarhead said:

ah, i wasn't talking about voting; what are YOU doing PERSONALLY to reverse the tide of disrespect, etc happening now?

I raised two children to respect others, hopefully I will have a positive impact on my grandkids, that's just about all a responsible adult can do now days unless you mean like holding a gun to someone else's head and enforcing them to be respectful..if your expecting each and every individual to step up and "personally" involve themselves to right these wrongs you are expecting the impossible, in the "real world" this requires a massive effort by all together, as in team work to get the ship back on an even keel.

It's about how you would want to be treated is how you treat others, I do go out of my way to treat others with respect, it's only plain common sense courtesy, I think the point your missing is the fact that more and more kids today have access to guns then they did when I or you were their age, how is this possible, who allowed them to have this access to begin with..."the parents". The kids involved in the Columbine shooting were able right under their parents noses, to obtain weapons, where was their Father demanding to know why they had this stuff, you can't tell me they were blind to it....they just didn't care what their kid was up to, not their problem...right...this is what I am on about, when I am talking about disrespect, the kids in schools today have no idea about accountability and or responsibility, so this is the seed that goes with them until they are "adults" not necessarily mature mind you, but voila they now can legally get a gun...

Jarhead

War Hero
Ok so finally we're on the same page.

You're absolutely right, the parents in the Columbine case should have known what their kids were doing. However, as it has been shown, the parents (for all i can see) used their kids as status symbols, not a responsibility to be discharged. They probably (have been disclosed to be blind to what their kids were doing) didn't care about their kids at all, much less what they were doing.

If people like us don't train the next generation with discipline and affection, the world will continue the downhill spiral.

As far as guns go, its one of those things: people see the usage of guns on tv or movies and think "cool. i can use one of those and get what i want". However, you and i both know that guns are a huge responsibility. But the alternative to universal gun control, where only the police, military and criminals have guns, is requiring everyone to have one. The US has tried a hybrid, which is more effective than gun control (until something better comes along). By more effective, i mean offers the maximum safety while offering the most freedom involve (its a delicate balancing act).

Legally getting a gun? **** that, i can go in my apt. complex and buy an untraceable Glock 17 for $50.00 from some guy, i know, cause he's asked me if i wanted to buy.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
On the subject of guns the Police have today removed two dead beats from the gene pool. Listen to the do gooders squeal now. Well done Plod!!!

janner said:
On the subject of guns the Police have today removed two dead beats from the gene pool. Listen to the do gooders squeal now. Well done Plod!!!

No problem-----legal take out with police weapons[makes a change for them to shoot a real crim :bball: :bball: ]
Anyone with a gun in his hand is a legit target should be interesting reading tommorrow

As for guns and public ownership
Up to 1920 the public could have any sort of weapon--no permits required
however due to the Red revolution and also the general strike the government really got worried about a revolution here.[uk] so they decided that all weapons [guns ]should be licenced and recorded or surrendered! Especially the heavy machine guns etc etc!!

Since then it become worse ------- Shotguns were finally brought into the
Licence required scheme about 1969 --ish. I bought my first shotgun and ammo no problems --I did need a ticket though to shoot 'game' that you applied to the post office for!!

However the UK total banning of publicly owned weapons is a 'no no' due to the constitution and its writings. Now of course possession of a firearm is restricted to type and a lot of paperwork rules and assessments to go through before the grant of a FAC.

:nemo: :nemo:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J questions you wouldnt want to ask afco. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
N Dad wouldnt shut the **** up so i threw him outta a window Diamond Lil's 42
MoD_RSS Speech: My mission to make sure NHS staff feel safe and secure at work MoD News 0
P feel ill just before joining! Joining the Royal Navy 14
mitch in the north I FEEL I MUST CONFESS TO BEING A REGULAR AT DIAMOND LILS BACK IN ABOUT 1985!! Diamond Lil's 15
soleil Telegraph: "Let Down By Their Countrymen: How Our Forces Often Feel Unappreciated" Current Affairs 51
soleil BFBS News: "Submarine Crews Feel The Pressure" Submariners 3
Powder I feel like a MASSIVE newbie asking this but... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
stan_the_man How do you feel when you look in the mirror Diamond Lil's 42
soleil Navy News: "BOSTing makes HMS Liverpool feel good" The Fleet 4
soleil Navy News: "(Gun) busting makes York feel good" The Fleet 1
O Feel like I'm being messed around... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil Observer: "I still feel my feet": Interview with Mne Dunning The Corps 5
Jade_Goody I downt feel verry well Diamond Lil's 4
Maxi_77 I almost feel sorry for the Bankers Current Affairs 24
Physical feel like i let down the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 16
Lynx101 You make me feel like dancing The Fleet Air Arm 21
navyeo60 I don't feel I could survive! Diamond Lil's 16
theymademedoit Raleigh Date! Starting to feel Moist! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
S I feel like death warmed up! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S why do I feel so glum? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
edd1989 Dreams not over, so why do i feel so crap Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Pilot for family members to get regular testing for safer care home visits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plugging a leak has put Sellafield on a path to a safer future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK FinTech exporter signs deal to make card payments safer in the US MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail Minister thanks efforts of volunteer Journey Makers and work to provide cleaner, safer stations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS One pharmacist’s report helps safer use of inhalers in the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS People urged to practise safer sex as gonorrhoea cases in England rise by 26% MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Firm’s investment will sustain jobs and make Sellafield safer, sooner MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safer Streets Fund to tackle burglary and theft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Support frontline workers to engage parents struggling with safer sleeping advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Preventing catastrophic risks from SAFER oil tanker leak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Children set example for danger drivers in safer roadworks competition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transport Secretary acts to make pavements safer for pedestrians MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of Safer Streets Fund MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safer journeys for cyclists and pedestrians thanks to Highways England scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to look at the safer, effective use of medicines during pregnancy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Keeping British MotoGP visitors on track for safer rides MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Boost for bees and safer, smoother journeys in A66 upgrade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMO: we must work together to make our world safer and healthier MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New plans to make it safer for people to confirm their identity online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Smarter sentences, safer streets: David Gauke speech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government looks at steps to make new drivers safer MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Press release: People urged to practise safer sex after rise in STIs in England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Charity regulator encourages safer giving for Cyclone Idai Appeal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Jeremy Wright and Margot James to meet with US tech giants to discuss a safer internet MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Margot James speech on Safer Internet Day MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Help make medicines safer: report suspected side effects in children and during pregnancy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Safer online shopping and selling for International Product Safety Week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Safer online shopping and selling for International Product Safety Week MoD News 0