Would you trust anyone from the MOD

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by scouse, Dec 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just talking to a load of ex servicemen in my local, not one of them would trust anybody in charge from the MOD :-D:-D is that just my local or par for the course:laughing2:

2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I know what you mean. Always using that harsh red font, bastards the lot of them.

3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Terrible isn't it - you join up, serve alongside mates, get a posting to the MOD and become part of the problem and thus for ever more branded as scum...

4. :laughing2::laughing2: But what would you do as an ex seviceman ??? and your daughter brought home a spotty faced so called clever f****** home for Xmas ??:evil3:

5. Purple_twiglet

"But what would you do as an ex seviceman ??? and your daughter brought home a spotty faced so called clever f****** home for Xmas"

Say, thank you for chosing to take a shite job, with poor pay, no career prospects and no job security in order to try and keep this island safe, despite 99.9% of the population thinking that by working for MOD you are on the same level of contempt as rapists, paedophiles and MPs. However, while I appreciate your efforts, if you touch any part of my daughters anatomy while under my roof, I will personally ensure that the only way you will only be able to write on requisition forms for the next 6 months is by sticking a pencil up your butt cheeks...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Purple_twiglet

Roger - done!

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Should of joined the Corps from the outset mate, you'd be used to it.... :)

8. Would I trust anyone from the MOD?, well that,s a very interesting question, almost like being given the choice between a poisoned chalice and the Mess Webley and a bottle of Whiskey, but given that the MOD is charged with defending the realm then I suppose that at the end of the day and not to put too fine a point on it and without malice or prejudice and being of a person of balanced mind not given to hysterical judgments regarding the failures and possible successes of large organisations dealing in millions of pounds, then taking all of the foregoing into consideration bearing in mind the fallout that might occur in the wider spectrum of like questions regarding that organisation then the only possible answer regarding the trustworthiness of persons within the MOD has to be by virtue of their very employ, a resounding

NO!.

9. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

So, all of the Crown Servants employed in MoD MB are not to be trusted...?

So does that also include those of us who have worked there previously and who will probably work there again in the future?

I find the OP and the responses quite odd, do we think "MOD" is manned by people different to those in NCHQ or LFHQ? Do people think that MB is manned by some permanent cadre who's purpose is at tangents to those anywhere else in the Armed Forces?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  10. Yep.

Sorry, not very helpful!

11. wave_dodger

I wonder, will you change your tune after an assignment there?

Whether a bite or not, I'm intrigued; so having spent 3 years in a MOD post, what makes me untrustworthy? and given that if you continue to serve you're also highly likely to serve there too, what will change about you - assuming you can be trusted now?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  12. The uniformed personnel posted there probably start off with the best intentions but once they are lobotomised by the civil serpants around them, then all prior good intentions are lost. It was the same in the PE, I arrived with the best intentions of doing my job in supporting the guys out in the fleet, but after 6 months of banging my head against brick walls (talking to civil seprants) I lost the will to continue.

13. I'm pondering on the meaning of the actual question.

Would you trust anyone from the MOD?

"Trust" in what sense and in which context?

Is the suggestion that you can't trust them with your G and T if you disappear for 5 minutes to powder your nose as they will take a swig of it or is the suggestion much more serious, that someone from the MOD can't be trusted with defence issues, can't be trusted to manage people and resources properly?

14. Purple_twiglet

"It was the same in the PE, I arrived with the best intentions of doing my job in supporting the guys out in the fleet, but after 6 months of banging my head against brick walls (talking to civil seprants) I lost the will to continue"

You mean someone said 'No' to ypu?

Its an old cliche, and one thats utter bollocks, that the military are somehow told what to do by the CS. A quick glance at any staff directory shows that military personnel occupy almost all key posts, and that CS exist to support them. If you're being told no, its either because said CS has been told by his own military management that you can't do something, or because there is often a very good reason (usually related to a lack of money). Contrary to popular belief, CS don't like saying no on purpose!

15. I suspect it's simply a perception of "those in the ivory towers" which you will find in any large company.

16. The fact that they are civilians means that their understanding and perspective of what is wanted/needed/suitable by the front line is not always in line with the reality. This lack of understanding causes disagreements between uniformed and civilian personnel at times and the uniform at the top is surrounded by civilians all singing from the same hymn sheet. I have come across senior RN Officers in the PE who were extremely frustrated at the working ways of the civil service.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  17. I don't consider the so called "managed efficiencies" of reducing the Armed Forces by 22,000 in any way efficient.
    The MOD should consider that sometimes it's better to buy stuff in that works than spend hundreds of millions on something then ditching it.
    I stress I have no knowledge of the MOD workings but I can read the reports and sometimes it not pleasant to see so much valuable cash wasted.
    I consider it alarming and shortsighted by a so called Tory Leader although a lot came from the Blair years,Broon was to spaced to know anything!
    Armed Forces/NHS plus the care of elderly and poor should be the main priorities for the government not handing out billions to crooked countries.
    A bit strong but that's my take of it.

18. wave_dodger

Spot on me old fruit - there's more to life in a blue suit than sailing about in our precious few ships - I know some people/specs get hammered for sea time but that can't be the case for a lot of people (hands up); I see nothing wrong with being part of the non-pointy end element of the business and find it odd that people have these perceptions about those in MOD or any of the HQs.

19. wave_dodger

The "efficiencies" have in general been forced upon the MoD by Government, I don't think we can take any blame for these. As for procurement, crikey I could go on for hours about the reasons (some good, some not so good) why we are in the mess we are in. In a lot of ways its because we're spending public money and the safeguards put in place make sensible procurement difficult and very expensive (HMT rules), another reason is we plan on certain strategic assumptions and then Governments send us to places where we're not equipped because they weren't part of our assumed operations, then there's Government policy to try and buy British, keeping some elements of sovereignty in our equipment capability, then there's the people we buy from.....it's a real thorny issue and by no means as simple as many people make it out to be (IMHO).