Would you go for your second choice?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by GSSR_Vvd, Sep 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

been away for a while on deployment with the RNR. Had a good time and was looking forward to coming home to a brown envelope with my start date in. This was not the case so i booked to see my careers advisor to see whats happening. Now i applied back in Jan and thought i would have a date by now. I was told in the meeting that i was number 36 on the list for MA's which puts me into the December 08 bracket for a start date. Now this will be 23 months after applying. I was told that it would be long but not that long!!!

As it is now looking so far away i cant help but think that it is karma telling me to go for my second choice career (chef) within the RN. I can say honestly that i would be happy in either one. I have looked at the advantages and disadvantages and i know i would be happy in either.

Will it be detrimental to my application if i say i want to go for my second choice? Is the waiting list just as long for Chef?

Thanks for reading.
  2. I don't know the answer but you may wish to consider if either of them are on the upper pay band compared with the other that maybe on lower payband.
  3. pm, ninja-stoker he'll probably know, then go for boats and get the sub pay.
  4. How do i find that out? The money aint the most important thing but it does help. I just am not happy waiting when i maight be just as happy in my second choice career.
  5. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

MA and Diver are the only branches that are on the Higher Pay Band as AB's.

GSSR, how old are you? If you're only young, then what's another year?

Look on it as additional prep time.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have to say I'm rather surprised it's taken 23 months & you still haven't had an entry date. I rather suspect you are confusing the dates you joined the RNR with when you applied to join the regular RN. Unfortunately, your waiting time is not back-dated.

Happy to stand corrected but entry from application as an MA, although it does vary, should only be around 12-14 months from passing the Recruiting Test & applying to join the regular RN.

If you've been in the RNR beforehand & only applied to transfer & join the regular RN as an MA in January 07, then that explains it & then you can expect to join as advised by your AFCO.

Regardless of how long you've spent in the RNR, unlike the RMR, you can also expect to complete phase one training (9 weeks) before starting MA phase two training.

Hope that helps & good luck to you.
  7. Off the top of my head, MA is Higher pay band at all rates, Chef - I mean Logistician Catering Services (Preparation) is lower at AB and Higher from LLOGS upwards
  8. I'm not trying to tell you to do anything ;) And in any case, Karma doesn't work like that.

But more seriously, it's rather up to you what you want to do. The two jobs are very different and as an individual you'll end up with radically different experiences as a result of the direction you take.

I'd be asking myself what motivates me to join in the first place, having a long hard look at each option and considering the pros and cons of each. Pay is one part of it but to me it's far more important to understand where the route goes and what opportunities it opens up.
  9. I wish it was from when i applied to the RNR, been in there now for 3yrs. I applied to join the RN in Jan, passed everything by March. I was told then that it's be 14 months max, as my first post says was expecting a start date by now but have been told to expect one for around Dec 08 which is 23 months from walking through the doors or 20 months from passing everything.

Not too fussed about doing the basic training again as it's only 9 weeks which is a very small chunk of my life. It just seems so far away.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'll double check tomorrow on MA waiting times. I must've missed that one.
  11. Well i was supposed to be number 50 on the waiting list which would have been an even longer wait but thankfully my careers advisor got me down to 36 on the list but it's still a long time.

I know that i waiting is part of the application and i am not dripping about it, it just helps if a can chat to people about it as it makes me feel better :)
  12. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Don't panic, Ninja is one of the good guys, he won't push you down the waiting list for dripping (no more than 14 places anyway :whew: )
  13. So that actually happens :rambo: :) Well if i do go in Dec i'll be able to don my christmas outfit :rendeer: