Would you ever stop to help???

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by fly_past, Oct 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After seeing a car crash? - no obvious burning veichles / major major traumas

I am on about slight damages, where both drivers are (moving) about the car and you saw it happen.

Would you stop and offer help ... I am a witness.... type of help?

As for offering any medical help...... would you, knowing that if you screw up you are off to court?

Hmmmmm difficult eh?

Over to you for replies
  2. Medical assistance? Yes absolutely.

This rolls off the back of the PCSO's and the drowning children thread. if your in the position where you can offer medical assistance (especially if its life saving) then in my opinion you should without question.

I have given medical assistance in the past, which has resulted in saving someones life and I would again without hesitation.
    In all honesty if I am in the position where I witness an incident and people require assistance Im not going to stop and and think "hmmmm - will I help that poor barsteward or leave him to suffer?"
    Forget what might or might not happen afterwards, my initial reaction would be to help where I can, as I think most people who have been Forces trained would do. Training takes over and for most of the part you work on autopilot.

From a witness to an accident point of view, yes I think Id help although I know many people walk past and try to avoid getting dragged into it.
  3. In Spain you are required by law to stop and assist at the scene of a serious accident.
    If you mean a 'fender bender' with no obvious injuries, or the likelyhood of others becoming involved, then I would not consider it an obligation to stop. I would not become a witness to such a minor thing.
    In the case of inury then I would feel duty bound, if not legally so, to stop and assist, even to simply protect the scene.
    The fear, if you act reasonably, of future legal action against you should not stop you, and would not stop me.
    To simply drive on? I don't know how I would square that with my conscience.
  4. I forgot to add my view to the post.

I'd stop and help if injuries were sustained, but if its a minor fender bender - I am not going to stop.
  5. Always, if safe enough to do so. How could you possibly know that there wasn't someone else involved - child in the car for instance? I'd stop if only to see if the occupants had access to a phone to call for assistance.

How apposite is the parable of the Good Samaritan today?
  6. I used to be insured by the St Johns Ambulance Brigade for a payment of ten pounds a year for a total of one million pounds if it ever came to the point of a court case. Thankfully we are not cloned with the USA on court proceedings and many are glad for your help.

Couple of days ago when out walking the dog I discovered a female figure in the grass this was 2300hrs. All alone in a dark area my decision reached go phone the police do not touch. We are living in a society where at times you cannot touch.

First RTA I ever came across nine year old boy hit by car. One of the marshalls for the site told me everything was under control which I knew just by looking was not. When I reached the casualty those attending stood up and walked away. Under control????

We then have the "out of my way I am a first aider" prats. Who are convinced they are Dr Kildare!!

Correct procedure is "I am a first aider can I be of assistance".

Never take it for granted that everything is ok on first sight of a RTA.

I remember the tale of a member leaving a meeting and driving home spotted a ambulance and a car at the side of the country road. Something was just not right she thought to herself. She returned to see if help was required.

Driver of the car heart attack slumped over the wheel of the car. Ambulance! Mechanic out driving testing the ambulance no medical knowledge no nothing.

LLanberis Pass round the windy roads we go car turned on its roof I asked the wife[the ex]if anybody was in the car. She replied it was an old wreck.

So down to the lake we go. Then the sirens started police and ambulance heading to upturned vehicle up the pass.

Going back up the pass I asked the cop on the scene for the story. Car hit the bank and turned over people trapped in car. Now I always look in abandoned vehicles.

The cop then asked if I could give him a shove his battery was flat. So there I am pushing cop car down hill to get it started.

Always think of your own safety instead of one casualty there could be two or three. Make Joe Public useful by directing traffic and of course first priority get help!!

Last tip keep the casualty warm by covering with coat always use a bystanders coat not your own!! You know it makes sense!!
  7. Yes, and I've done so twice in the last 5 years. One accident with no injuries (physical, that is), one which a smashed in face. Used my nascent medical training (and thanking a few POMAs and LMAs in discharging it) until the ambulance and paramedics arrived.

Without wanting to sound sanctimonious, I firmly believe that it is the duty of every person to render first aid (medical and otherwise) in such situations. Although atheist, I agree with sentiment of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

I'll now get back into my box....
  8. Personally I have been involved in my own fender bender twice (been hit by others when stopped in a petrol station(!) and at TESCO (no "S" in TESCO!!). But have stopped 3 times at accidents where I am first on the scene.

One was an OAP who fell off his buggy onto the road after leaving the pub!!
    He was trapped with his buggy trapping him. I saw others walking away as I pulled up in my car - well he was in the way a bit! He was fine after I freed him and the ambulance took him off to hospital - a copper oraganised his buggy being taken away from the scene.

The second was when a lady had been knocked off her bike by a lorry. She sustained a nasty deep gash to her calf muscle. The driver had driven off not even stopping - she said-. The ambulance crews took her off to hospital.

The third was when I was at traffic lights waitng for the pedestrians to cross in front of me. A young lady stopped halfway across the road and looked 'vacantly' at me. She then fell to the floor with a grand mal fit. So I just made the area safe for her and got the driver behind me to call for an ambulance to come and get her.
    I had to stop some ******** saying put this in her mouth to bite on -handed me a bit of tig from a atree - politely told him to find a quiet spot and shove the twig up his...... She came round from the fit and was all drowsy -aparently quite normal - and asked where her bag was.... some kid had stolen it but was chased and caught by another motorist who saw him take it! Good on him.

Taking the question of help a stage further I have stopped when a 3 car bumper bender occured, and then let the 3 slug it out on the roadside. The police car behind me sorted them out!

My first priority in a situation is .... am I safe here? If not I wouldnt want to end up a casualty myself.
  9. Very sound advice there, i guess the car overturned in the pass because the occupants were either drunk, stoned or looking up at nutty_bag skillfully climbing cenotaph corner. :thumright: :thumright:

On a more serious note, this is actually sound advice and without boring the tits off you all with some of the RTC's that i have been to in my career i would certainly say LOOK AFTER YOURSELF FIRST before approaching any incident.
  10. I find a problem, with today's way of life

Morally I feel I must offer any assistance possible
    Legally I find I am in a minefield, and it best ignored due to litigation

Up to now my morals have won, but it may only be the next second of
    the day that I end up sued

I saw the motorcyclist lying on his back, and he was OK until I adjusted his head the right way,"Well I was not to know he had put the jacket on back to front to stop the wind chill factor"

Personal last Saturday week, my new car was parked up, a Range Rover reversed at speed into the front, he got out examined the damage jumped in his car and drove off, two witnesses but failed to get number
    I am now left with a wrecked car, the loss of my no claims bonus and have to find the excess, a thing as an ex RN pensioner I find hard to pay
    and if I had just been TPFT then I would be forevermore whithout a vehicle

Morally yes help all you can, Legally oh dear, you read so much in the papers, of if Jack had not put the tornouquete on the chaps leg it would not have to have been amputated (forgetting all about if it had not had the tornouquete he would be dead off course) so sue Jack for every penny you can squeeze
  11. dont be a casualty, be safe yourself i think!
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes there is. its right in the middle :dwarf:
  13. G'day mate.
    Yes I would stop and have done so often,and even took the owner to the nearest filling station which in OZ can be well over fifty miles, waited and taken them back again with some spares and helped them. Got gratetude and that was really a nice feeling.

However twice at different times ,once when I was out the Andrew and once when I was in the Andrew, I saved some lives, was promised the world by the thankful parents the Mayor promised to write to the Royal Society for saving lives (children) or saving society or one of them there things, never heard a word from them.

Happened when I was on HMS Exmouth, I was coxs'un of the whaler, we were anchored about a mile offshore, pretty rough,weather, my relief and I used to work it at the change over, I'd finish at Twelve. "TOT" time, and he would take the boat out if it was called out before 1230, and I did the same for him.

After my last trip ashore, it was a Saturday lunchtime, I was into my No.1's, best shoes all ready for going ashore on the 1230 boat into Girvan, in Ayrshire, in Scotland, twice they called for the coxs'un of the whaler, so finally I had to go up in my best gear, and the OOW said where the hell had I been, of course it was no use dobbing the other coxs'un in so I just wore it, so he said the bowman had pulled the the boat to the accomodation ladder as I couldn't be found, down I goes and takes the two Officers inshore. On the way back, it was a long sea wall as you came out of the river, I saw some guys waving and shouting and pointing away to seawards, way out a mile or so, looking hard I could just see a shape in the water bobbing up and down, and I made out a canoe, so I thought that he was in trouble, with the big sea running.

When I got closer I saw that it was three canoes, well one completely sunk except it's bows, the other swamped and just under the water, the main one was also swamped but still high enough up, with two youngsters laid across the hull of the only one still almost floating and the boy in it holding the other two or they would have slipped of and drowned, one boy was unconcious, the other nearly out of it with the cold, they both would have drowned within the next ten to fifteen minutes, the unconcious one probably wouldn't have lasted any more than five minutes..

I took the boat within about fifteen feet, any closer with the sea running and the surge, and it would have smashed the remaining canoe into a million pieces, I said to the bowman to come back and look after the tiller, got the stoker to put it into neutral, and I dived in and swam to the canoe, grabbed the boy who was unconcious and swam back to the whaler towing him, they were all about fourteen years of age, school mates most propably, gave him up to the stoker and the bow man, swam back for the next boy, took him back again, then went back for the last one, told him to come out of his canoe, even though he didn't want to, I had to promise that I would go far his beloved canoe, if he got out of it, so I did, but I swam back with him in this big sea, He// it was about a six foot swell, out where we were, occasionally one even bigger , passed him up to the other guys, then swam back for the canoe, the others two canoes had sunk by this time, swam back with it tied it's painter of to the stern sheets and went inshore, I took my jumper off as did the other two guys to put them round the boys as they were frozen stiff, the Clyde estuary in the back end can get really cold, especially if the family jewels have been under water. :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

Back to the jetty in town, got them onto the Jetty, some civvies had come to help by this time, I went up to the road, only 100 yards or so, to stop the first couple of cars to send the boys to hospital, luckily enough the first one was a "Rolls Daimler" chauffer driven with some Titled Lady in the back, I held my hand up gave them some cock and bull story about I was confiscating this vehicle under the laws that the Queen gave me in cases of emergencies etc etc ["All bulldust", as I had no permission I just made it up to sound good to get the transport for three kids], just needed to get these three kids into hospital ASAP, No trouble the Lady said, told the driver to get some picnic blankets out of the boot to heat the buys up, by this time they had been brought up to the side of the road, and into the car, so I told the stoker to go with them to the local hospital, see them OK and he could either come back or stay ashore as he had a 24hrs off now, he wasn't wet, just in his Gym shoes that was all.

We went back to the boom where my relief was I worked the controls as we didn't have a stoker, and tied up. I couldn't go to the quarter deck as I only had a "Tiddly White front on", I just went down to the mess deck grabbed my towel and some dry gear, and had a shower, then got my mick up for a make and mend, as my gear was too wet to go ashore then, hung my jumper over the heater where we kept the dinners for the watch keepers meals, hoping it would be dry by the 1800 boat going ashore.
    I was lying sleeping when just after 1630 (four thirty), someone in the mess came and shook me, said that they were piping for me to go to the quarter deck see the OOW. Back I goes and the quarter deck is full of people whom I had no idea who they were, it was the local Mayor, his councilers and the parents of two of these boys and one of the boys, who had got out of Hospital, all out to thank me for saving their lives. Photographer for some local paper there to get shots of the boy who was out of hospital shaking hands, with his rescuer, (I was so embarased as I hadn't told the OOW about it). the parents and the Mayor all wanting photos taken with me, then the Mayoral team, with me and the OOW and the skipper, doing the same, I was really embaresed by it all, as it was something anyone would do, and I'd have done it again,[which I did some years later]

The Skipper, Jimmy, Chief Coxs'un, all the dignitaries wanted to shake my hand and have their photos take, BIG DEAL, the rest of the time I was treated like dogs poop on the sole of the Chief Cox'uns shoes, by him, long story, not all his fault :toilet: :tp: :tp: :tp: .

Anyway the kids mother says to her son:ask me what I wanted for doing this, I said nothing of course, then I said have you a big sister, (always a matelot ha ha) so he said unfortunately no but I've a big cousin aged 21 or there abouts, good I said tell her I'll meet her ashore and we will go out and have a pub crawl till we get to where the dance is and go in there for the evening

Sure enough, I goes ashore in my No.3's and my wet shoes, and meets his big cousin.!!!. BIG was the right word. she was well over six feet I was 5"7" wringing wet, but we finished up having a great laugh and run ashore so a good time was had by all.

I got a draft chit about a couple of weeks later, to go into Hospital and never got back to the ship again, when I was going ashore with my gear the Chief said where will we send you gold medal for rescuing these kids, I laughed , he said no. I had been recommended, by the skipper, and the Lord Mayor.

Long story cut short, each one must have thought the other would write about the rescue, cause, I never received any medal not even a Tin one, not even a scrap of paper from this Life saving society, unless the sent it to the ship and the chief coxswain, kept it or gave it to some one else. I have often though about writing to them, asking why I never even got a letter from them, that I could have kept just to show what I had done without thinking
    think first cause I

Stuffed up my No.1 suit, and best pair of shoes, they were never any use again they went all wrinkly and out of shape when they dried, the gold on the badges went all tarnished and the suit had to become my No3's. So think before you rescue or do a good deed towards someone or it will cost you heaps ha ha ha :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: ha ha!!

Next time my brother, cousin and I were working down in Southampton near where they moored some big yachts, we used to watch this really old guy come back after his dinner time session swaying and a few staggers, he had a single plank onto his yacht about a 38' or 40' er, this day he got half way over started to sway and off he went into the oggin, and he was wearing, b/**dy wellingtons silly old bug*er, they filled up and down he went. This time I told my cousin to run get into his dinghy and row back with his dinghy, and my brother and I both stripped off, and went into the river in Southampton, swam up to just under the plank, dived down until we got his coat collar, or a sleeve or summat, and we both got him to the surface, by this time my cousin had this dingy there and we pushed and pulled him till he was into the dingy then our cousin rowed him to the side, we swam there and then we all carried him across this single plank, into his cabin lit his fire heater, got him dried off and into a change of clothes, and put him to bed.

We were working next door to where his boat was moored and you wouldn't believe it this old guy never even came across to say thank you for doing what you did for me, he was maybe to embarrassed, about being so p/**ed that he fell in., but not even saying thank you, now that disapointed the three of us.

But I think most people would automatically try to help anyone in distress. I've had help of strangers as well who wouldn't take anything for their help. thanks is often enough, and to see them OK.

regards pingbosun[​IMG]
  14. I like the army advert where the pongop lads are playing footy and a crash happens outside.

They leap out, make the site a bit safer, sort out some comms, direct traffic etc

Its the sort of help that can make the difference, to the people involved in the incident and the peripheral scene.

Ex mob/mob generally are much calmer and practical than the majority of Civpop and probably have a degree of training or experience

Alway stop (when its safe) even just to ask if evrything is alright. Not just when you're out driving but where ever you are
  15. This is not the case if you stop and offer/provide first aid you cannot be held liable for any injuries caused, unless of course you royally f^%k up.
    Has been tried and thrown out by a court in the uk.
  16. There is a theoretical possibility that you could be sued if your intervention leaves the person in a worse position than if you had done nothing, but so far in this country no claim against a rescuer has ever succeeded.
  17. It can be a double edged sword in relation to either offering assistance or blindly walking on, the Good Samaritan Laws do not hold as much weight as they once did, thanks to litigators and so everyone is too damned scared to jump in, that's the civilians of course.
    Most military personnel who have some form of First Aid training will at least attempt to assist.

It can be a no win situation or damned if you do, damned if you don't, but I think the bottom line is "what does your conscience tell you" and if your someone who goes along the lines of "but there by the grace of god go I" then you would try to assist someone, all good deeds do come back to those who perform them..

To not try is criminal, IMHO... :hockey:
  18. Long time ago I stopped --or was stopped by four kids all aged about 15
    in the road 2 miles from my house. Main road in the country. Was another
    youngster sitting on the verge . Wound the window down enough to speak
    --story was the one on the verge had been hit by a car while they were all walking the road. The car didn't stop. After about ten cars they had managed to stop me. Only thing I noticed with the guy on the verge was that he had a 'fat' leg inside his jeans above the knee.
    I told them I would go home first then come back --wife is a Nurse .Collected the wife and returned. The guy had a broken right thigh bone I took him to hospital.

Now in this present state of muggers, druggies and idiots out for kicks there is no way I would have stopped. In fact I had doubts when I did stop.
    I suppose nowadays aswell the mobile phone has helped for people in emergency situations like that too.

The kids mother called at the house about a month later and thanked me

:nemo: :nemo:
  19. As Spenny said, the training kicks in! And I've got the scar to prove it! (nearly totalled me to) which proves that you don't always get it right!

But hell I'd do it again, just maybe not in Gosport!

A few others too where I did get it right, but that as they say are different stories - was it worth it, cause it bloody well was, got nothing for it but the satisfaction of knowing I'd helped, but that's all that matters! And it ain't just car crashes either!!

20. Nobody loves a "smart arse!" :threaten: :thanks:

I think I meant that there is no S at the end of Tesco. :thumright: