Would it be worth it?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by StourbridgeLad, Apr 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm now in the final stages of getting everything sorted to sign up but there's one last nag I'm currently trying to deal with. I got a f in maths (I know horrible :oops: ) however I'm doing a learn direct course but its dragging on to the point where I'm seriously thinking of abandoning it and get my act together and enlist. However there was one thing I wanted to ask, I'm not going to be arrogant and say I'll get into the navy but it never hurts to think ahead and ask is my grades in maths be a impairment if there was a chance I could get promoted in the long run and would it be wise to give myself an extra month delay and get a level 1-2 adult maths certificate? Atm I’m just going to do a Entry 3 exam. Is this worth it?

Many thanks for reading this post

Stourbride_Lad

2. I don't know anything about your adult maths certificate or what it's worth, but should you join the mob and your maths isn't up to scratch you will be encouraged to improve it and there will be opportunities for you to do so.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Become a Steward?! :? :wink:

Seriously, I hope you get this sorted; keep us posted (and welcome to RR, by the way)!

:thumright:

4. I think the answer you are looking for is to do your namet, i think it is called latern or something like that, i was in the same situation when i joined up, so i did my namet which enables you to go up the ladder.

5. You will have no worried joining most branches standfast technical/medical and a few others shipmate, it will however impair your readines for promotion bu you will be given plenty of oppertunity to improve your numeracy once you are a fully paid up member of the andrew!

6. Go join up and Good Luck mate :)

7. If its any consolation I got 4% in my higher maths exam...at least you got a grade!

Anyway my AFCO thought it was quite amusing:) I still got through the maths section of the psychometric tests and I have just been practising a lot for the AIB.

Was just to let you know not everyone is a mathematical genius:)

8. You would be able to join with no Maths GCSE, but I believe (95% sure) that currently you will not be selected for promotion to killick if you don't get one. There is, however, plenty of opportunity, and time, to get your GCSE as an AB.

9. You do not need GCSE maths to be promoted to killick.