Would going into the navy at 18 to be a chef be a decent job choice??

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by andrew.davis910, Mar 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ..

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2. Yes if that's what you want to do.

3. Well yeah but do you know what it'd be like as a chef ? - would you say the pay is good?

4. Agree with guzzler, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

5. Depends on your frame of reference. Gordon Ramsay is a multi-millionaire, that ex pusser chef on the telly is also doing quite well despite being caught out as a bit of a Walt for saying he cooked at the White House. But when Gordon was your age he was a footballer with a career ending knee injury, living in Paris in a room the size of a toilet living on sammiches and hope. So if you want to be a chef for a living, you might say a living wage and a place to live was a pretty good start in the trade. You will be less well paid than a nuclear submariner with watchkeeping certs, or a diver, or pilot, but they earn their coin, be in no doubt.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Being a Chef is hard work, long hours and you have hundreds of food critics analysing your performance daily - unlike most jobs.

The training is first class, the skills transferable & the earnings potential when you leave, good. As a Chef submariner, you'll earn £300 a month more than a non submariner. Promotion can be quite rapid if you stay long enough. No-one in the Armed Forces is paid a rock star wage, even the Surgeons. If money is the primary motivator, think about the private sector rather than the military.

Waiting times to join? Less than six months.

• Like Like x 2
  7. If you are thinking of joining up as a chef, just for the money, I would hazard to suggest that this might not be the job for you.

However, if you enjoy cooking and hard work, and you have the skin of a rhino, then this might be up your street :chef:

Ninja has it about spot on.

8. If money is the primary motivator, think about the private sector rather than the military. Not as a chef Ninja, the pay is shit and the hours are even longer than the good old Andrew..unless of course you own your own business and are in possesion of 1 or 2 mitchelin stars, starting out as a bog standard low life chef is ferkin hard work.

9. It's the hardest course in the military,no one has ever passed it,it's like doing a kit muster three times a day when at sea.....;-). Or so Sharkey our killick chef used to say! Top chef by the way!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

10. Didn't take long for that old gem to surface :sleepy2:

(See what I did there!)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There was a chef in the Army who had passed the course.

He was killed immediately.

But to be honest, i never had a problem with our sloppies. They were a good bunch and they could rustle up decent scoff in my opinion. Don't listen to the naysayers, if you fancy it, go for it. It's hard graft mind.

• Like Like x 2
  12. There are worse jobs that you could do, inside and outside of the Andrew. I was a RN Chef at 18 and dont regret any of it. I have progressed up through the ranks and have no intentions of cooking when I leave..... unless I have to. And the beauty of it is, I have got those skills to fallback on if I need/want to. There have been periods where I have been on leave for 2 months in between drafts and I worked in a restaraunt for one month. I even worked some weekends if I needed the cash. I would fully recommend it. It is genuinely hard work

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cheers for the feedback. I'm in the mindset as 'dixie_gooner' no intention on being a chef when I leave. Honestly guys my main goal for joining isn't the money, it's more towards that I want to learn a life skill while experiencing something new and different and also learn some discipline!!! Also I would like to try and save as much money as I can, rather than going out and wasting it on SHIT like I'm doing now.

14. Also how much of the world do you get to actually see?? Or is it just false advertising ??

15. Cooking most definitely isn't for you then. You'll be out on the lash at every opportunity, pissing your hard earned wages up against a wall :)

Edited to add, As do most matelots, no matter the branch

16. Haha!! I meant like clothes and crap like that, I mean I would drink but I'm a major lightweight so even if I did I'd only be on 3 pints !! BUT, it is best to know all this before signing up to anything

17. Not for long you won't be :chef: :drunken:

18. You won't be wasting it on clothes most chefs look like they wear what oxfam binned.

19. Haha fair enough!! So do you think I should consider a different job if I want to save most of my money??

20. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yes. Become a chef in civvy street.

As has been previously stated, you do seem to spend a lot of money having fun in the military. As George Best once put it "I've spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest i've wasted."